Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree..$60k or less with the $7500 rebate would be great depending on the range.
How competitive is the pricing compared to F150. That is what I'd be watching for.

No, not the lightning - but the best selling "car" in the US.

ps : Ofcourse, they can always start high given low production and reduce later. But I think they should stop doing that kind of thing for which punishes early adopters and given the volume brings in small amount of extra revenue.

You can get a gas F150 crewcab for 40k. It's absolutely going to be more than that.
Is this a barebones model? How much for a comparatively equipped one? My dad was looking to replace is Dodge Rebel Ram and the MSRP was around $70k.

Edit...I just went on edmunds and priced out the lariat, with 4WD, tonneau cover, tow package, and it comes to about $67k MSRP. The cheapest one is $41k but is only 2WD and base everything...not really a good comparison.

Last edited:
How competitive is the pricing compared to F150. That is what I'd be watching for.

No, not the lightning - but the best selling "car" in the US.

ps : Ofcourse, they can always start high given low production and reduce later. But I think they should stop doing that kind of thing for which punishes early adopters and given the volume brings in small amount of extra revenue.
Early adopters always pay more regardless of the product. I don't see that as being a big problem.

Is this a barebones model? How much for a comparatively equipped one? My dad was looking to replace is Dodge Rebel Ram and the MSRP was around $70k.
I mean, pretty comparatively equipped. It has a touch screen, a larger interior (than the CT), vinyl seats, 4x4 similar towing/payload for 45k. A 70k version would have leather and all of the bells and whistles on the Rebel Ram.

You can get a Lighting Lariat for under $70k right now.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
I mean, pretty comparatively equipped. It has a touch screen, a larger interior (than the CT), vinyl seats, 4x4 similar towing/payload for 45k. A 70k version would have leather and all of the bells and whistles on the Rebel Ram.

You can get a Lighting Lariat for under $70k right now.

Yeah, they are running big discounts on the lighting. My neighbor is picking one up today...can't wait to check it out. Not sure if appropriate to ask how much he paid though.

And here comes the UAW..............They will have the media and White House backing. Not saying they will succeed but it will be more nasty stories in the media.

Scroll down, Tesla is mentioned.

So, you think it better to sell at a loss right out of the gate and hope a profit margin develops over time?
That doesn't seem like a very smart strategy, compared to lowering prices as economy of scale dictates.

Early Adopters pay more because it costs more when making small quantities.

Down 1.05% at the close - on the day before delivery.
Is it now, sell on the rumor and sell on the news?

I am hoping for a positive surprise catalyst tomorrow.
This picture, if it really has anything to do with the stock, isn't a rumor, but the picture isn't complete as we don't know what model this is or what tires it's on. He was invited by Tesla to see/review/ and potentially buy the CT. Also, the price matters just as much as range. If the price is reasonable, it's still a win. If it's over 60k, there will be a lot of bitching, but things will settle out when they show they will sell every unit they can make.

One of the main reasons I think the 250k is sandbagging is that 250,000 units a year is now kinda niche for Tesla. The history of the company has generally been bigger selling, more market with each new model.
Semi isn't in production properly yet, and roadster is kinda vaporware, and a halo car...
I don't think Elon is interested in selling 250k pickup trucks a year. Why bother? why not just focus on making a million a year model 2s, or way more than that globally...

Maybe, just maybe Elon has finally learned that the media will NEVER give the company fair coverage, so they may as well intentionally sandbag so the media has no place to go with their negativity. I think we saw some of this very recently. The last earnings call had major predictions of doom due to factory shutdowns that would ruin Q3. As it happens, the highland ramp seems to have worked out perfectly.

Elon's terrible at timescales, but he is not so overly-optimistic on volumes.

From an investing POV I think 250,000 CTs are still going to be very profitable, but I suspect the peak production will be significantly higher. I also think the product is awesome from a brand POV as it broadens the appeal of the whole range, and enables more economies of scale for 4680s and FSD.

One of the main reasons I think the 250k is sandbagging is that 250,000 units a year is now kinda niche for Tesla. The history of the company has generally been bigger selling, more market with each new model.
Semi isn't in production properly yet, and roadster is kinda vaporware, and a halo car...
I don't think Elon is interested in selling 250k pickup trucks a year. Why bother? why not just focus on making a million a year model 2s, or way more than that globally...

Maybe, just maybe Elon has finally learned that the media will NEVER give the company fair coverage, so they may as well intentionally sandbag so the media has no place to go with their negativity. I think we saw some of this very recently. The last earnings call had major predictions of doom due to factory shutdowns that would ruin Q3. As it happens, the highland ramp seems to have worked out perfectly.

Elon's terrible at timescales, but he is not so overly-optimistic on volumes.

From an investing POV I think 250,000 CTs are still going to be very profitable, but I suspect the peak production will be significantly higher. I also think the product is awesome from a brand POV as it broadens the appeal of the whole range, and enables more economies of scale for 4680s and FSD.
250k is the current max (150 actually is for next year). If it's still that popular, they can build more lines.

Elon has said and (pretty sure) Isaacson also said that many wanted the M2 before the CT, but the CT is a passion project for Elon.

They likely won't hit a 250k ramp until sometime in 2025.

Edit: Also, Elon has explained that the CT will be relatively small in the grand scheme of things for Tesla.

Down 1.05% at the close - on the day before delivery.
Is it now, sell on the rumor and sell on the news?

I am hoping for a positive surprise catalyst tomorrow.
Having invested (long) in heavily shorted companies, I can say that it is NEWS itself, i.e., good or bad, that empowers the manipulators. I can't tell you how many times I have known that good news was coming in several of my companies and, more often than not the stock goes down when it is announced. It is one of the strategies that shorts use to discourage the longs and make them question the premise of their investment. I would say, unless the unveil is blow-your-socks off good, the stock will more than likely go down. Hope I'm wrong but, in any case, we have a long way to go for TSLA to reach the true value of this company. Hodling is required.

unless the unveil is blow-your-socks off goo
We already know the range is not blowing anyone off. Pretty sure won’t be cheap either. FUD media has only Ford Lightning to compare and no spec stands out in favor of CT.

So expect down 5 to 8% tomorrow.

But none of the that will impact sales. CT will sell all they can produce for next two years plus.

And here comes the UAW..............They will have the media and White House backing. Not saying they will succeed but it will be more nasty stories in the media.

Scroll down, Tesla is mentioned.

Moved response to the UNION THREAD

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
Having invested (long) in heavily shorted companies, I can say that it is NEWS itself, i.e., good or bad, that empowers the manipulators. I can't tell you how many times I have known that good news was coming in several of my companies and, more often than not the stock goes down when it is announced. It is one of the strategies that shorts use to discourage the longs and make them question the premise of their investment. I would say, unless the unveil is blow-your-socks off good, the stock will more than likely go down. Hope I'm wrong but, in any case, we have a long way to go for TSLA to reach the true value of this company. Hodling is required.
Shares went down 5% the day after the Model Y unveiling (3/15/19) and I believe that is consistent with other Tesla inveilings. The market will react to pricing and range so we'll see.