Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow. Beautiful truck and great specs for the most part. But 340 miles range is a huge disappointment. We are a couple hundred thousand down the reservation list so we’ll see. But my guess is we’ll just stay with the Y or wait and see what the next generation lightning has for specs. We tow so improved towing range over the Y was key for us.

I hope it sells well for tesla (I’m sure it will) but not the right truck for us.
Looks like a range extension of 440 miles is in the specs on the website.

Powershare, ie. V2H, Vehicle 2 Home, is optional: https://www.tesla.com/powershare

1701378726180.png

It sounds like if you already have a Wall Connector, maybe only the new Universal version, and Powerwall it just acts as an extra battery for your Powerwall, no extra installation needed.

Last edited:
Based on the claim it can charge up to 136 miles in 15 minutes at 250 kW, I am calculating:

460 Wh / mile (414)

or

2.176 miles / kWH efficiency (2.4)

Based on this, the 340 mile range Cybertruck has a ~ 156 kWh (140) battery pack. The 250 range, presumably LFP, would require a 115 kWh (103) battery pack.

Edit: This didn't assume heat losses during charging. If we assume a 10% loss to heat, the number change to what is in the parentheses.

Last edited:
So I am thinking nothing has changed since the reveal if there are not updates on range and price?
lolol. :) You know better, Singuy.

Will be interesting to see the range extender pricing, but that is one heck of a jump from the reveal pricing, even after taking inflation into account. The middle option, AWD, 300+ miles, was to be $49,900. Instead it's $79,990. Inflation's been high over the past four years, but not 60% high. (2020 1.23%, 2021 4.7%, 2022 8%, 2023 3.2%, for a total of 18.1%.)

Take that into account, and you'd expect the pricing to morph as follows:

$40k --> $47,250
$50k --> $59,060
$70k --> $82,684

Instead, we got $61k, $80k, and $100k (and the $100k model with significantly lower range than originally detailed).

The range extender will take it from 320 to 440 which is great, but to add 120 miles to a Cybertruck is going to require a lot of batteries (40+ kWh, maybe 50 kWh). The fully-specced Cyberbeast option will certainly come in at close to double the original price.

The truck looks like a winner to me, and I don't mean to suggest that I think Tesla failed by not meeting the 2019 pricing--a lot has changed since then. But it's disappointing to see them miss on pricing as widely as they have, while simultaneously missing on the top-end range so severely.

Still, looking forward to seeing these on the roads and hearing initial reviews. The V2H piece is something I'm glad they went for.