Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Again, sold 2/3 near the top. Also sold the precovid top and rebought more than double at the bottom of the Covid scare. No tears here. šŸ˜‚ Iā€™m going to go out and hike up a mountain. Enjoy the important discussions today.
Congratulations, just donā€™t be climbing up my mountain. I own it and youā€™re not invited.

The voting block of Elon's companies, their suppliers, and the 100,000+ Tesla owners in Texas are getting a bit too big to be ignored. As ICE and dealership sales decline, there will be less money to purchase politicians. It won't happen overnight but it will happen that the laws will change. Isn't Nevada the state that doesn't even allow Tesla to have Service Centres?
The ONLY Nevada comment was relative to corporate treatment. Tesla, SpaceX et al have been too big to ignore in Texas for some time. That has not altered the stranglehold on Texas legislative process by auto dealers. Obviously, there are substantial questions, notably tax-related ones, that make Texas attractive.

That looks like the size of a loaf of sourdough. Do you have dimensions?

No, I haven't seen those...

And, shoot, I was gonna go grab the connector specs that Tesla made freely available it a bit back to get dimensions of the inlet port for reference, and:

Technical Specification​

Update as of December 19, 2023 ā€“ As NACS is now recognized in an SAE technical report (TIR) under SAE J3400, we have removed the technical specifications and CAD from our website. The design and specification files are now available within the SAE J3400 TIR.

SAE wants $195, so I just went and measured mine... the connector is 1.5"W x 1.375" H.

My guesstimate is that thing is 2"W x 4"H x 5"D (excluding the portion that actually seats in the port)

No, I haven't seen those...

And, shoot, I was gonna go grab the connector specs that Tesla made freely available it a bit back to get dimensions of the inlet port for reference, and:

SAE wants $195, so I just went and measured mine... the connector is 1.5"W x 1.375" H.

My guesstimate is that thing is 2"W x 4"H x 5"D (excluding the portion that actually seats in the port)
Ah, ok. Thank you! Itā€™s not terribly big at all.

I wonder when theyā€™ll just start putting in the NACS receptacle on fords and do away with this adapter nonsense.

Ford said when they adopted NACS (as it was called then) they'd be the standard port on the next model... so 2031? lol...

(On edit: @MP3Mike had the actual announced year above... I wonder which is more realistic? lol)

Last edited:
Well.. an option to switch the port out on the vehicle to NACS/J3400 free of charge would be amazing.

Option to pay for it would be good.
That isn't so easy, as it would likely require either adding contactors, or replacing the AC charger. (Because of the input pins being shared for both DC and AC charging.) I don't expect any retrofit to be available from Ford.

2025, you might be talking about a Tesla timeline?
Model or calendar year? (I don't think Ford has specified.)

For what it's worth, my opinion is Tesla will appeal the decision. The easiest course would be to reincorporate in another state and do another deal, putting all this behind them. Elon is too principled for that though. They will appeal if for no other reason than to try to keep those sleezy attorneys from collecting hundreds of millions. They will, of course, lose because McCormick isn't the only judge beholden to others. "I am privileged to have worked with and know every judge on the chancery court."

In the meantime, or soon, Tesla will additionally reincorporate in another state. Probably Texas.

Isn't the main advantage the reduction of nuisance lawsuits because the plaintiff has to file in another state so there is a barrier to suing? (assumes both legal systems, tax, etc. are similar)
Yeah but Delaware has an army of litigant trolls on site ready to be bought. The lawyer for the plaintiff is a veteran Tobacco and News Corporation defender.

However, to say it has no bearing probably isn't entirely correct as states don't exist in a vacuum. Each state typically respects the laws of another. For instance if you are legally married in one state, other states accept the marriage as valid.

FWIW that was not true for many years... in fact DOMA in the mid-90s specifically called out that no state need recognize the legal validity of same sex marriages in other states. This wouldn't be fully corrected until Obergefell v. Hodges. in 2015 where SCOTUS required all states to recognize such marriages regardless of what state they happened in.

Even today try seeing how valid your out-of-state conceal carry permit is in say California and you'll be in for an unpleasant surprise.

For what it's worth, my opinion is Tesla will appeal the decision. The easiest course would be to reincorporate in another state and do another deal, putting all this behind them. Elon is too principled for that though. They will appeal if for no other reason than to try to keep those sleezy attorneys from collecting hundreds of millions.

How would those lawyers be collecting hundreds of millions?

This isn't a class action where Tesla has to pay the winning side some huge cash amount the lawyers get a big chunk of.

That isn't so easy, as it would likely require either adding contactors, or replacing the AC charger. (Because of the input pins being shared for both DC and AC charging.) I don't expect any retrofit to be available from Ford.

Model or calendar year? (I don't think Ford has specified.)

Yeah, definitely need a the equivalant of a HVJB in there.

Which makes me wonder, do CCS vehicles leave their on-board charger outputs connected to the pack diring DC fast charging? In other words, are those currently inactive chargers seeing 400-800V on their output terminals from the DCFC?

(probably should go to the engineering thread)

Reactions: UncaNed