Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've counted the cell on Rivian structural pack

34 by 8 cells on each module, 3 modules, extrapolating from 4680 energy content of 86 to 95 Wh per cell, each 4695 cell should be somewhere from 102 to 113 Wh

In that config, R2 pack should be somewhere around 83 to 92 kWh, no point trying to predict efficiency since all we know is 300+ miles of range, but I wouldn't expect it to beat or even get close to Model Y efficiency since it's much boxier and higher

We can also try to speculate pack voltage, configs that are easy to do in this pack layout are 102S8P and 367 V nominal and 204S4P 734 V

I don't think they will go higher voltage since for smaller vehicles it doesn't make much sense, plus larger cells without a tabless electrode or similar charge slower (or even with tabless, looking at you Cybertruck)

View attachment 1025619
It still makes sense for small vehicles when moving to higher voltage and also 48V can produce more consistency and simplicity in manufacturing process. If it does not reduce costs, including allowing more Supercharger throughput, they probably will not do it. Anyway, my disagree was based on making a generic assumption that status quo remains. That is never a good assumption with Tesla.

Bullish..

Interior looks stellar

1709853195745.png

1709853210812.png

1709853225794.png

1709853242576.png

The Hans-And-Lars X livestream revealed nothing new

Agreed. In the beginning Hans mentioned "some other top secret stuff" behind the curtains. I hope they have more than the$25K car behind there as Tesla is large enough now that they need to get beyond developing 1 complete new model at time. Elon mentioned one time that he thinks they need about 10 models to cover the market. They are up to 7 (S,3,X,Y, CT, Roadster, $25K) if you leave out the Semi. Personally think they need a small CT for markets outside NA, a van, and maybe a CT based SUV.

Agreed. In the beginning Hans mentioned "some other top secret stuff" behind the curtains. I hope they have more than the$25K car behind there as Tesla is large enough now that they need to get beyond developing 1 complete new model at time. Elon mentioned one time that he thinks they need about 10 models to cover the market. They are up to 7 (S,3,X,Y, CT, Roadster, $25K) if you leave out the Semi. Personally think they need a small CT for markets outside NA, a van, and maybe a CT based SUV.
I don’t know which company you’re talking about, but Tesla IS doing more than one vehicle at a time AND running a few other companies within itself expected to be larger than its car division.

You realize that OEMs send most of their work out to other companies, right?

OT OT OT
uh, not so at 26.6 deg N, perhaps further north though

my 644 sq ft array, 11,655w (DC) derated 0.85 to 9,907w (AC)
17,400kwh/yr (actual for 5 years) x 67.6 (to scale up to an acre (43,560 sq ft) = 1.17MWdc/yr <===

Hanwha Q.Peak Duo panels, Enphase IQ7 inverters panels are at least 6 years old and 1-2 have a bit of shading, fixed tilt, 23 face East, 14 face South so I could get a bunch more, like a 1,000kwh extra/yr perhaps

(admittedly those pesky hurricanes, Irma, Ian, (and to be named in 2024 hopefully not) do cause a LOT of qualms and trepidations) and 15 days loss of production.....

Last edited:
Rivian does not lack buyers. The R1S outsells model X in the U.S. The problem they have is absolutely horrible gross margin.
I don't think that is true. Their inventory, and days on hand, is increase every quarter. They started offering R1 leases because they weren't able to sell enough of them at $80k+. And even at that they are losing tons of money. I think they are close to saturation on the R1s, just like Tesla is close to saturation on the Model S/X. Rivian can expand to other markets, but that is expensive and the opposite of what they need to be doing now. (Selling a higher volume of vehicles you lose money on doesn't help.) Just like I think that right now they need to concentrate on one smaller profitable vehicle, but yet they announced two. They continue to bite off more than I think they can chew.

It still makes sense for small vehicles when moving to higher voltage and also 48V can produce more consistency and simplicity in manufacturing process. If it does not reduce costs, including allowing more Supercharger throughput, they probably will not do it. Anyway, my disagree was based on making a generic assumption that status quo remains. That is never a good assumption with Tesla.
The problem with higher voltage, is that you need more cell monitoring chips and there is no way around

And although I haven’t been checking recently, they were a major pain in the butt to get on the peak or the supply cash, so unless you have a really good reason for it, as you said, make no sense

Cybertruck is an example in which with the charging performance we saw this far, it makes no sense for it to use higher voltage, this is another great point that it will support much faster charging times

Reactions: petit_bateau

The Amazon-backed company has been burning through cash to improve current EV production and narrow losses.
Shifting production of the R2 from the in-development plant in Georgia to the company’s plant in Normal, Illinois, will save $2.25 billion, Rivian said in a press release. It will also allow the vehicle to begin production earlier, it said.
The company said it will pause construction on the Georgia plant, to be resumed “later.”

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.