Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The issie is that your posts seemed to indicate the layoffs were indicative of doom and gloom (dark and stormy?) in terms of Tesla's business, whereas this Tweet indicates a change in organization that is likely positive in terms of positioning Tesla for moving forward.

Not really what you were saying all along, IMO.
They layoffs are because of poor performance in an effort to streamline, re-organize, and increase profits.

Pretty easy to spin that either way.

The issie is that your posts seemed to indicate the layoffs were indicative of doom and gloom (dark and stormy?) in terms of Tesla's business, whereas this Tweet indicates a change in organization that is likely positive in terms of positioning Tesla for moving forward.

Not really what you were saying all along, IMO.
Did you just use the word positive when speaking of Tesla? Woe unto thee!

• Funny
Reactions: scaesare
I think the talk of $4000/share price is insane. The company would be valued at $12.8 trillion (with the 3.2 billion float), more than anything else out there and larger than Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, nVidia combined.

People probably said that about $1 trillion market cap years ago. Take a look at the Super bulls thread if you think $14 trillion is high.

Elon has said events like Autonomy Day and AI Day are more about recruiting top talent, they’re not earnings calls

Like here

Without mentioning that at the time Tesla was worth <$20 adjusted for splits to today
There was also an Investor’s Day. That also went over like a ton of bricks. Let’s be real, people aren’t necessarily the brightest lights on the Christmas tree. Sometimes on purpose and sometimes accidentally.

Well, either that, or enough market participants simply don't believe Tesla will generate enough cashflow in the future to justify a higher share price. The simplest explanation is often the right one.

The one does not preclude the other. It is a diverse and dynamic system. These things are not isolated from one another in such a chaotic mingling of factors which affect any one person's investment strategy.

Nobody sees all of reality clearly. Everyone will make their choices based upon the slice they filter from the whole.

A stock with a significant number of retail investors may be more influenced by factors other than those an institutional investor will base their decision upon.

Plus, the majority of investors of any category will fall into that wide area of grey between the black and white extremes.

Reactions: Eugene Ash
The BS is thick this week and from many new members carrying axes. I can't predict when it will end so there's never a better time than now.

I have no prob with Tesla, this is how they roll, this is the magic. YOLO!

1713363019131.png

There's always a war going on somewhere. The phrasing isn't trivializing it, any more than somebody saying "this means war" in a competitive not-actual-combat scenario.

Sure. It's still very cringe. And I believe some famous philosophers once said "real gangstas don't flex." Akin to "I'm a very stable genius."

As an intermediate step to robotaxi, isn't there a world where driver assist technology with a certaion level of functionality gets mandated as required safety functionality for every car the same way seatbelts and airtbags are?

In that case, if the technical requirements of the system are high enough, could we imagine Tesla sells its system to other automakers, ala providing the Supercharger network, because some of them they choose to not make the investment to reach that level and simply license with Tesla? If it's simply autobraking, then most car companies will have it - but if it's something definitively more, perhaps drive the occupant to medical facility if an unconscious drive is detected (making that up), then maybe the path some manufacturers take will be licensing through Tesla.

This could be done, but for those long long drives that autonomy would be great, a lot of the other systems, from what I've seen on youtube (Kyle Connor, Tom from State of Charge) work well enough or at times, better than Tesla if you watch their videos.

Unlike the current charging network (3/4 broken, can't sync/charge), the other options aren't that far behind from what I've seen/read about. I don't see other car makers jumping on board Tesla FSD when their systems are pretty good from all indications.

FSD isn't sleep in the back seat, take you to the Bay Area from Los Angeles yet.

Macro trading pattern: some positive news, which is actual news about tesla, TSLA raises 5 to 9%, then over the course of the next 1 to 2 weeks, walk down by 1 -2% every day with articles spinning negatively or just plain fabrication (the algo traders job is to fab articles, tesla's is to fab cars also being used as real world geolocated data collection).

Compact car-robotaxi: not even a controversy, obv it will be the same platform and RT is based on amount of data and compute availability to process.

If these rumors are correct then Elon is doing this backwards, in an extremely risky decision, because if the manufacturing lines get ready to produce the RT and FSD is still not solved, well what then? Time to retool to make the Gen3 for consumers, which could have easily been done in the first place.
I don't think it's a rumor any more. Elon has pretty much confirmed that Tesla is all-in on robotaxi with his "balls to the wall" post.

I agree that it's an extremely risky decision. But I also think it's the right one.

Reactions: kbM3 and Mengy
Both CATL and Jinko (largest global Solar Panel maker) have been in this market for some time as has Huawei and BYD, and others. Most of those are competitors in many markets, but mostly in parts of Asia, South America and Africa. It is interesting also that they often enter ne markets in cooperation with other entities, often local but not always.

Jinko seems to have found the storage part to be irresible because of their great success with solar panels. Huawei entered all this about ten years ago and has built on their position in commercial electrical and electronics, perhaps famed in EU/NA for their 5G etc.. CATL has been in this market from the beginning, but very often with local partners whose own brands appear on CATL products, they also have factories in many places where, due to their business parachutes, may or may not actually appear in their disclosures.

I am not an expert on all this, but have recently been very aware due to all of those now in major operations in Brazil, and all of whose products have been offered to me for my own projects. Tesla did have an early position in Brazil but after initial projects with Vale on their own storage needs they have not been a factor, and have not responded to commercial inquiries despite their public positioning.
Yes, there are other players in stationary storage, however, one has to be aware of the "transparency" of the markets where CN companies thrive. In a lot of countries kick-backs, even in commercial entities are the way of operation. Even non-government entities are susceptible to bribery of decision-makers. I wish every company success in stationary storage ramp-up, however, I can totally understand how TSLA might want to prioritize domestic market and not even bother with other markets till they have to.

Another reason which is not helping sales is that Tesla can’t sell directly to customers in many states.
We seem to have accepted this but many people still have the buying from a physical location mindset.
Name the ‘many’ states. Dare you to. I’ll start you off:

Texas. And now tell us just how difficult this has been and what size of market Tesla has in the state. And nobody from Texas with a Tesla help this fictional storyteller out.

Your turn. And remember the definition of many.

Interesting.

circa 500BC, the Art of War, Chapter 11: At the critical moment, the leader of an army acts like one who has climbed up a height and then kicks away the ladder behind him...He burns his boats and breaks his cooking-pots

Battle of Julu, 207BC: 50,000 Chu troops vs 200,000 Qin troops
General Xiang Yu rossed the Yellow river and ordered his men to carry only three days worth of supplies and destroy the rest, along with their cauldrons and cooking utensils, and sink the boats they used to cross the river. In doing so, Xiang Yu was sending a clear signal to his troops that they had no chance of survival unless they defeated the enemy and seized their supplies.
Does a decision to initially not have steering wheel have to motivate the AI staff? If one thing I learnt, Tesla is great at adapting fast. They don't have to burn the boats.

I think the talk of $4000/share price is insane. The company would be valued at $12.8 trillion (with the 3.2 billion float), more than anything else out there and larger than Microsoft, Apple, Google, Amazon, nVidia combined.
TSLA is no longer a aspirational stock, it is now a “show me” stock. All positive momentum is gone and only the diehard believers remain.

Strap in as it can get a lot worse. Sales numbers, guidance, profits are all under attack and the vision for teslas future is shrouded in mystery. Hopefully the 8/8 event can clear some of this up but if past events are any indicator, tesla and Elon do a horrible job of communicating.

Cheers to the longs, there is still a lot of great things about this company, the stock however, not so much.

Does a decision to initially not have steering wheel have to motivate the AI staff? If one thing I learnt, Tesla is great at adapting fast. They don't have to burn the boats.
I think Elon is hoping it motivates the entire staff throughout the company.

This is one of those moments where Elon is asking his employees to do something amazing. I hope it's still why people want to work for Tesla.