Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • Tesla's Supercharger Team was recently laid off. We discuss what this means for the company on today's TMC Podcast streaming live at 1PM PDT. You can watch on X or on YouTube where you can participate in the live chat.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kick a normal car's door, kick Cybertruck's: exoskeleton.
They never said monocoque construction. Though some pieces are not stressed, Frans or Lars said the rear sails add 20% to torsional ridgity.

Body on frame?
Please circle the body verses frame pieces:
View attachment 1045460View attachment 1045461
There is no redundancy...
Door panels are thick for side impact. They aren't structural. Take the doors off and the truck wouldn't suddenly get all flexy.

I also remembered something about the sails helping rigidity -- in fact I thought that's why they got rid of the sail storage bins. But this guy says otherwise. Maybe he's wrong. As for the pics, most everything that's not orange is the frame. Plus the battery pack, or at least the top cover. As I said it's highly engineered. Nothing like legacy pickup ladder frames. Of course you're not going to pull the bed off and put a flatbed or tilt bed or utility bed on CT, either.

Reactions: Thekiwi
So with no nag, that means 12.4 is hands free? Is that what Elon just implied or am I hallucinating?
1. He could just be saying that the very long delay between nags has been fixed.
2. He could be saying that, for cars with cabin cameras, monitoring is now camera-only (hands-free).
3. He could be implying that Tesla had a secret demo of 12.4 with NHTSA and they approved removing the nags.

I think (3) is very unlikely, and I don't think they want NHTSA barking at them again just yet.

I think there's a 59% chance it's (1), 40% chance it's (2), and a 1% chance it's (3).

1. He could just be saying that the very long delay between nags has been fixed.
2. He could be saying that, for cars with cabin cameras, monitoring is now camera-only (hands-free).
3. He could be implying that Tesla had a secret demo of 12.4 with NHTSA and they approved removing the nags.

I think (3) is very unlikely, and I don't think they want NHTSA barking at them again just yet.

I think there's a 59% chance it's (1), 40% chance it's (2), and a 1% chance it's (3).

If this changes the probabilities at all, we learned through a firmware decompilation from Green that Tesla is removing the Driver Occupancy seat sensor from future configurations:
Might be evidence of L4; but probably more likely that Tesla has a much-improved cabin-camera neural network for detecting driver occupancy and attention.

So with no nag, that means 12.4 is hands free? Is that what Elon just implied or am I hallucinating?

I read it to mean that there is no need to apply slight turning force to the wheel, or be nagged to do so, if the camera can see that your hands are on the wheel and your eyes are watching the road.

Can the internal cam see the wheel? As near as damnit. If it can’t see hands it can def see wrists, forearms, and work it out. If it sees a phone that’s obviously going to trigger something.

1000005350.gif

Joe Tegtmeyer reporting a slowdown in Texas Model Y production caused by layoffs, something to be aware of for Q2 expectations.

People should have reasonable expectations, guidance is the upper limit of my expectations.

I am hoping for positive cash flow Q2, and definitely expecting it in Q3.

Compared to the rest of the car industry, I think Tesla is in relative terms doing about the same or better.

We don't yet know how much inventory is piling up at dealerships. IMO, the full story on how other carmakers are really going will emerge slowly.

The staff cuts probably are a mixture of a long term plan, and short term quick reaction.

Cybertruck production is still going very well, overall Austin production is probably a lot higher than Q2 2023.

Last edited:
I read it to mean that there is no need to apply slight turning force to the wheel, or be nagged to do so, if the camera can see that your hands are on the wheel and your eyes are watching the road.

Can the internal cam see the wheel? As near as damnit. If it can’t see hands it can def see wrists, forearms, and work it out. If it sees a phone that’s obviously going to trigger something.
Pretty sure it cannot see the wheel and even if it can, it will be moronic to qualify that as it cannot see the entire wheel. I wouldn’t want to trade nag for mandatory positioning of my hand on the wheel in which only the camera can pick up.

Not so fast. Elon replied "Fixed in 12.4" to 2 previous comments. One comment said the nag wasn't happening after up to 10 minutes, while the other said the nag wasn't necessary....
Which commentary is being fixed, the accidental 10 minutes between nags, or the nags altogether? It's open to interpretation.

The former head of the SC team that wouldn't downsize called the 500 person layoff "literally the entire team" and then there were multiple reports that Elon cut the entire team due to the manager not laying off individuals.

There were also employees, that were laid off saying;

The Supercharger team was well-staffed, they struggled to handle all the workload and that he had to be available 19 to 24 hours per day.

“We couldn’t keep up. And now the network is even larger,” the employee said. “Now, guess what? There are even more consumers. There’s gonna be a lot more issues that could possibly come up.”

or all of the quotes posted about new sites being paused, permits, etc.

This was by every single bit of evidence exactly as the employees who were fired described as "the entire Super Charger team".

I thought you were joking still talking about this.

Now, obviously Tesla has given the SC tasks to other departments in the form of skeleton crew, but there's 0 reason to dispute this. Elon isn't disputing it, nor are former employees.

It could absolutely be for the best, but it will take time to see. It's not worth panicking over, but also odd to try to defend as "it's not a significant portion of the team" a leap completely made up by you.
Someone vandalized a supercharger location in Houston, Texas on Friday, cut charge cords on all but one station. Tesla service fixed it by Monday. https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaLounge/s/FDXvDRrqFq

Perhaps steering wheel nag removed completely and moved to camera "eyes on the road" detection based nag? BTW, I went on a 900km round trip from Melbourne to Sydney on our ancient Navigate on Autopilot and I got barely any steering wheel nag (maybe 10 times total).

Reactions: JusRelax