Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If this changes the probabilities at all, we learned through a firmware decompilation from Green that Tesla is removing the Driver Occupancy seat sensor from future configurations:
Might be evidence of L4; but probably more likely that Tesla has a much-improved cabin-camera neural network for detecting driver occupancy and attention.
Why remove the seat sensor? Is it different from sensor used to enable/disable front passenger airbags, and seatbelt warnings for occupied seats (rear and front passenger at least), etc? Also IIRC if you have the door open and get out of the seat the car notices and reacts to that too?

Removing the sensor seems silly. Maybe it was meant to remove some logic tied to it (i.e., allowing for a future in which FSD operates without a human in the driver's seat, i.e. unsupervised, but not necessarily deleting the sensor for all purposes)

• Helpful
Reactions: y_naught
Why remove the seat sensor? Is it different from sensor used to enable/disable front passenger airbags, and seatbelt warnings for occupied seats (rear and front passenger at least), etc? Also IIRC if you have the door open and get out of the seat the car notices and reacts to that too?

Removing the sensor seems silly. Maybe it was meant to remove some logic tied to it (i.e., allowing for a future in which FSD operates without a human in the driver's seat, i.e. unsupervised, but not necessarily deleting the sensor for all purposes)
Perhaps since the in-cabin camera can detect if there is a human in the driver and passenger seats, a hardware sensor is no longer necessary? In that case it would be brilliant. No loss in capability, but reduced production cost, simplified assembly, and less that can go wrong for the consumer.

Perhaps since the in-cabin camera can detect if there is a human in the driver and passenger seats, a hardware sensor is no longer necessary? In that case it would be brilliant. No loss in capability, but reduced production cost, simplified assembly, and less that can go wrong for the consumer.
Maybe - in which case they could eliminate the passenger sensor unless it's legally required (i.e. whatever regulation requiring different airbag responses based on weight in the seat, might not allow a vision solution without an update to the rules)

Actually... That could conceivably be an issue with removing the sensor for driver's side too. Potentially, there are multiple varying airbag responses to crash scenarios based on the detected weight, not simply presence detected or not. I wonder whether that's a concern or not.

This all assumes that adjusting the mirror weirdly to obstruct the camera's view isn't a concern, too.

Reactions: Todd Burch
But yet we have confirmation that the people maintaining the Superchargers were not let go:

And that they didn't report to Rebecca:

So yes, Rebecca's entire team, "The Team", was let go. (Except for a skeleton crew.) But there are multiple Supercharger teams. So, one of how many teams were let go? How many employees do the other Supercharger teams have?

Nice contribution to this saga @MP3Mike

Sure did get quiet on this topic all of a sudden. 🤔

I won't expect any of those arguing otherwise to own up to having been mistaken in their interpretation of the data we had to work with.

We can move on since the theory put forward regarding the limited scope of these 500 jobs has been established as an accurate assessment. At least we do know more of the story now, and can expect to see new strategies deployed for Supercharger expansion.

It would seem nothing different at all about this layoff of "all the members of the Supercharger team" has affected the other teams managing Supercharger operation in any way, and they will continue to do their business as usual.

Despite fears some had that the sky had fallen on Superchargers, it is quite blue, with clouds above, and the future is so bright we'll have to wear shades. :cool:

The only question now is if it applies to all FSD (including highway) or just end-to-end NN FSD (which is city streets only still AFAIK - I believe highway is still on the old NN stack from before end to end). Maybe this new release will bring us end to end for highway?

The hoped for eventual removal of hand-on-wheel nag was the main reason I upgraded from EAP to FSD when it was heavily discounted way back in the day. I do use city streets FSD some, but I almost entirely use it for highway scenarios. Usually I prefer to drive streets myself as the car typically is a little more aggressive in acceleration/deceleration than I would like, especially if there's anything in the car like groceries. I wish I could actually make it drive 'chill' ... I don't care if it's technically 1% more efficient or something.

Reactions: dhanson865
Last edited:
Like many others I can see how trolls are chasing away people who have been loving contributing to and reading this thread.
Also, I understand the difficulty for the moderators in shutting someone out who is maybe / maybe not a troll.

However, I have been thinking of a solution and I think I have one.
Easy to set up and moderate.

The example is already here with the thread of @Papafox .
It is a thread in which only he is allowed to post.
So, just make a thread in which only a select group of people are allowed to post.
We already all know who the people are who write the really valuable investor’s posts.

Suggestion: start with @Gigapress , @mongo , @The Accountant , @Papafox , @Discoducky , @NicoV , @avoigt , @Right_Said_Fred and @AudubonB as thread moderators (if willing) and @ZeApelido for the humor.
Do not be disappointed when your name is not mentioned above, please. 100% sure I will have forgotten valuable contributors.

It is just for the start, expand with those that the moderators decide that will be valuable and will keep it manageable for them.
Suggestions can be made to the moderators via a pm; they can decide to forward the suggestion to the suggested person without the need to answer the pm.
Call it: "The Perpetual Distinguished Knowledgable TSLA Investor’s Information Thread (!! only selected members are allowed to post !!)".
The addition in the title will help to moderate.

And just keep this current thread and see how things evolve.
It may take some value out of this thread, but there will still be enough things that will be valuable to read.

FSD 12.4 nag removed ( from software ) confirmed

Wow, color me pleasantly surprised. And all this not long after NHTSA explicitly made them dial up the nags?!?

Either they showed v12 and the accompanying safety data to NHTSA and they signed off on this, or Elon’s taking a risk by removing the nag without NHTSA permission. Hopefully it’s the former or there may be another recall to add the nags back.

Hard to believe given how hostile NHTSA has been about FSD (IMO). Maybe they’ll relent a bit on the full stops at stop signs too?

Last edited:
Like many others I can see how trolls are chasing away people who have been loving contributing to and reading this thread.
Also, I understand the difficulty for the moderators in shutting someone out who is maybe / maybe not a troll.

However, I have been thinking of a solution and I think I have one.
Easy to set up and moderate.

The example is already here with the thread of @Papafox .
It is a thread in which only he is allowed to post.
So, just make a thread in which only a select group of people are allowed to post.
We already all know who the people are who write the really valuable investor’s posts.

Suggestion: start with @Gigapress , @mongo , @The Accountant , @Papafox , @Discoducky , @NicoV , @avoigt , @Right_Said_Fred and @AudubonB as thread moderators (if willing) and @ZeApelido for the humor.
Do not be disappointed when your name is not mentioned above, please. 100% sure I will have forgotten valuable contributors.

It is just for the start, expand with those that the moderators decide that will be valuable and will keep it manageable for them.
Suggestions can be made to the moderators via a pm; they can decide to forward the suggestion to the suggested person without the need to answer the pm.
Call it: "The Perpetual Distinguished Knowledgable TSLA Investor’s Information Thread (!! only selected members are allowed to post !!)".
The addition in the title will help to moderate.

And just keep this current thread and see how things evolve.
It may take some value out of this thread, but there will still be enough things that will be valuable to read.
Thanks Maarten! I'd be in for a locked thread for only certain posters and I'll be honest, I just skipped the last 30+ pages and wanted to see what folks were mentioning about the nag being officially removed with 12.4

This tells me that 12.4 is most likely feature complete (I.e. adding advisory sign support and reverse) and has a higher reliability rate than the closest at scale (well, nearest anyways) competition. I'd also expect we'll start seeing autonomous licence application filings after this build is rolled out.

The usefulness of this thread has really gone downhill over the last year or so. The amount of messages each day is just too much to keep up with, and the content is low. I'd like to suggest another way that might help, which is to limit the number of posts a person can make in this thread to 1 every N hours. Maybe N is 6 or 12 or 24, it could be adjusted to find a good balance. This would get people to think more carefully before posting, and get rid of the back and forth 'discussions/arguments' between a small group of people that comes up often.