Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Itā€™s really crazy that Elon had a vision of FSD earlier than the point in time that the transformer architecture was published. ā€œAttention is all you needā€ was published in 2017: Attention Is All You Need - Wikipedia
I wouldn't say the transformer paper was super relevant to non text modality was it? Deepmind and others were showing video game models way earlier, it was on the horizon before that I'd say.

It is unfortunate that Tesla is settling these cases because even though it isnā€™t an admission of guilt, it is perceived that way. It also could encourage more frivolous lawsuits.

Re Legacy EVs.
Lets take a look at MB EQ lineup.

There's currently what, 10 different models, quite high prices and low amount of production. And they can't figure how to make money on these.

Or VW, just revealed id.8. I think.

Tesla had already shown the recipe: make one model that can be scaled and achieve economics of scale.

Instead they keep doing these line-ups of different models, and wondering why there's no profit..

Re Legacy EVs.
Lets take a look at MB EQ lineup.

There's currently what, 10 different models, quite high prices and low amount of production. And they can't figure how to make money on these.

Or VW, just revealed id.8. I think.

Tesla had already shown the recipe: make one model that can be scaled and achieve economics of scale.

Instead they keep doing these line-ups of different models, and wondering why there's no profit..

The issue with legacy auto is they are unable to turn the ship, they really would have to try and build from the ground up with a spin off company (see Polestar). They are also servants to the market via Quarterly numbers/Stock price. They can't take 2-3 years out with huge losses and invest what they would need to compete with Tesla, they have to try things like slowing Tesla down via negative media or trying to get governments to extend their phase out of ICE. All of them will either fail or become niche players.

Toyota are criminal masterminds. They speak of solid state batteries, fuel cells, BYD partnerships and manual EVs. This encourages other competitors to foolishly spend their money competing with Tesla. Once they are all dead, they will buy Comma.ai for $1m and make robotaxis in colours Elon doesn't like.

*Possible true story
Toyota have read my playbook:

I wouldn't say the transformer paper was super relevant to non text modality was it? Deepmind and others were showing video game models way earlier, it was on the horizon before that I'd say.

Presumably Tesla is using vision transformers, since Elon was making fun of Yann Lecun on Twitter one or two days ago and stated that Tesla isnā€™t using CNNs anymore (or at least not a lot). Is there any other approach to vision other than CNNs and vision transformers?

FYI

From Barron's

"The change in the Federal Reserveā€™s preferred inflation measure met expectations in April, confirming the lack of progress in getting price growth under control in early 2024.

The personal-consumption expenditures price index rose by an as-forecast 0.3% in April, the Bureau of Economic Analysis reported Friday, following gains of 0.3% in March and 0.3% in February."

FYI

From Barron's

"The change in the Federal Reserveā€™s preferred inflation measure met expectations in April, confirming the lack of progress in getting price growth under control in early 2024.

The personal-consumption expenditures price index rose by an as-forecast 0.3% in April, the Bureau of Economic Analysis reported Friday, following gains of 0.3% in March and 0.3% in February."
Does Barrons want a rate hike?

"

Juniper Upgrade Speculation​

Not much has been seen about Project Juniper at this time, but we can expect a similar suite of upgrades that match the updated 2024 Model 3 Highland ā€“ including a new front fascia design, updated doors and dynamics, steering updates, improved control arms, ambient lighting, new seats, and improved range.

There is a continued expectation that Tesla is pushing back its Model Y refresh ā€“ its best-selling vehicle ā€“ to make a bigger splash. This could include newer features ā€“ like the Cybertruckā€™s Steer-by-Wire, front camera, or other upgrades and changes ā€“ like the lack of stalks on the rest of the Tesla line-up.

Tesla previously confirmed weā€™re not seeing the Juniper Y this year, this could be the time needed to retool and upgrade lines to prepare for its introduction sometime next year."

Tesla might claim no Juniper this year, but they also went to great lengths to pretend nothing was happening to the model 3, and Elon even said 'highland' was not even a term he recognized, right up until they announced them, and pre-recorded review videos appeared on youtube.
I would not be shocked to see juniper announced next month, or even this afternoon. I get the impression Tesla have got WAY better at keeping things under wraps while they work on them.

Tesla might claim no Juniper this year, but they also went to great lengths to pretend nothing was happening to the model 3, and Elon even said 'highland' was not even a term he recognized, right up until they announced them, and pre-recorded review videos appeared on youtube.
I would not be shocked to see juniper announced next month, or even this afternoon. I get the impression Tesla have got WAY better at keeping things under wraps while they work on them.
The Highland was seen being tested for almost a year before launch. No one has seen a refresh MY on the road, yet.