Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EC rent, a Dutch company specialized in EV rentals is ceasing operations because half of their Tesla fleet is out of commission since December 2018 due to parts shortages and no improvements in sight. Owner was a member here. Then there is Shenma which is a large ride sharing operator who claims to be the biggest Asian fleet buyer but took out billboards on Time Square to complain about Tesla service leaving 20% of their fleet inoperable.
Both those stories are clearly false. A google search shows there is no legitimate news source reporting them. What is your source?

Both those stories are clearly false. A google search shows there is no legitimate news source reporting them. What is your source?

It's on their very own page? :confused:

https://www.ec-rent.nl/ said:
Unfortunately, we had to cease our activities.
Due to increasing technical difficulties, and the lack of timely parts supply by Tesla Motors, we could not longer operate half of our Tesla rental fleet since mid-december 2018. Because this situation is no longer maintainable and a solution does not seem to be within reach, we had no other option than to stop all of our rental activities.

I think it's worth listening again to exactly what Elon said.

With respect to raising capital, he said the following or very close to it:

"I think it is healthy to be on a spartan diet for a while..."
"There is some merit to raising capital".

But I think the bit that's getting misinterpreted, potentially, is:

"...But this is probably about the right timing."

Did he mean that this is probably about the right time to raise capital, or did he mean the timing needs to be right to raise capital? If you look at what he said before that I'm thinking the latter.

Edit: I see somebody else was saying the same with a written transcript that might be more useful. Meh. Never mind, I'll leave this here anyway.

I was skeptical too. But it's on their website. I notice the OP neglected to mention that these rental operator shut down all its rental operations including all its non-Tesla EVs. But including that information wouldn't help make his point, would it?

It's disingenuous when a commenter cherry picks news to support their narrative. I recommend caution with that source of information. It's usually from the spin-zone.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just like they've been waiting for the past two years? Now was the time for Tesla to make the shift if they were going to (while they were retooling the lines). They didn't. Show of hands, who thinks they'll be taking down the lines yet again the day after tomorrow, to use cells that they have a shortage of (2170s) and not use cells that they have in surplus (18650s), both of which have the same energy density (as measured by Jack Rickard)?

There's simply no logic in it. As has been repeatedly pointed out.

The next thing that might be seen along these lines - not soon - is a change in the pack (not cell) architecture. But again, to reiterate: not soon. Now was the time for that if they were going to do it. Next up on the list is surely interior cosmetic features - which might well be phased in one at a time rather than all bundled together. There's little line downtime for such changes - they're GA, humans connecting the new part rather than the old one. More of a supplier headache than a Tesla headache (excepting parts made inhouse).

I am not referring to "what makes sense from Tesla's production planning perspective", but more from a customers perspective (who follows the company closely, is heavily invested and is in the market for a electric SUV).
- the M3 pack architecture has better thermal management and less prone for fires.
- 2170 enable a much higher charge rate
- 2170 arguably have a longer life cycle

We are holding off on our purchase till the battery pack update on the X or the model Y.

Your post was in reference to the 700mUSD net loss and not CF. That the inventory buildup explains the net loss. It doesn't.
Lol, do you really want to be make your first 2 posts here on TMC on this losing issue? Read Neroden's point on the opportunity cost of inventory increases. You ignored my answer: $145M effect on profit. Buh-bye.

Check the website of the company EC - Rent This company is really well known in the Dutch section of this forum (owner was an active member for a while too)

Market appears to be slapping itself in the forehead for last week's trading and realizing: "Oh yeah. They're still the market leader by far. This too shall pass."

Wow, Literally 20 minutes ago I bought at $233.81 and we're at $239 now...
I think $240 will be vigorously defended. Getting back above that would make this drop look like a look below and fail with obvious climb potential. Shorts cannot let that happen if they can help it.

Need a big day considering how damaged the technicals and confidence is after last week's disaster. Ending the day at 240+ and hopefully daily highs. This would be a great start to ride out some recovery rally this week.

If we fall back to near 235 it means that institutions are still selling as the volume is massive.

The problem with big institutional sells is you never know when they're just going to spontaneously stop.

Contrariwise, we don't know how many potential share buys have been waiting on SEC news.

And we don't know how much people actually care about the results of picking over the 10Q relative to these other two elephants in the room.

Time will tell...

Need a big day considering how damaged the technicals and confidence is after last week's disaster. Ending the day at 240+ and hopefully daily highs. This would be a great start to ride out some recovery rally this week.

If we fall back to near 235 it means that institutions are still selling as the volume is massive.

Short time technicals are looking reasonable well. If you believe in a quick reversal, now is the time to get in.

Not an advice.

Lol, do you really want to be make your first 2 posts here on TMC on this losing issue? Read Neroden's point on the opportunity cost of inventory increases. You ignored my answer: $145M effect on profit. Buh-bye.
Yes, if they would have ended the quarter with 0 cars in transit then the net loss would have been 555mUSD.