Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What would the point of having both chips be? Tesla's chip was designed as a better more tailored made substitute for the Mobileye chip. It was also designed to vertically integrate a key part of the solution rather than relying on a potential future competitor.

Tesla saw the point. The plan to keep both on the board was theirs. All I can do is speculate. Maybe skip NVidia completely and go directly from MobilEye to HW3 NN chip? Maybe continue to use functionality that they still don't have today (reading speed signs the most obvious one). I am sure all the usual posters can add their own speculation.

While Tesla's master plan has proven exceedingly sound, there's more the company could do to help maintain everyone's focus.

Wall Street's affliction with quarterly "results" is not the mindset that leads to long term success, and it can be pointed out until the mantra sticks, which is well after eyes glaze over. Sufficient cash on hand helps too.

Throwing kindling on the detractors' bonfires of vanities by overpromising may also be rethought. Will Elon Musk slow down if those timelines aren't out there? [I don't know.] Internal targets that escape are not the same as public pronouncements by the leadership.

... I reoptimized myself for a slow, steady climb, but mostly doldrums (17 may $330s covering nearer-term sold calls, plus a couple sold far-OTM put spreads). Would have been far better off if I'd just held onto my 18 Apr calls. But here we are again, another day of strong price support. If Monday is strong too, I may need to go more aggressively bullish.

One of those two has been characteristic for Tesla's stock over the company's listed life.

Tesla's current valuation is not low. That's very simple, but simple sometimes does it. The mission is not constantly rocketing stock, and the mission drives real world results.

I think a partnership on any of their future projects that suggests a derisking would be useful.

I like the idea, but wonder who can keep up [and live with the recent level of radiation]. Panasonic remains a cornerstone of Tesla's success. Tesla has also done more limited partnerships, of course. Viz, Mercedes and Toyota a while back. They can both work or be detrimental - the goals and mutually expected benefits matter.

However, it confounds me that Tesla avoids acknowledging and fully addressing US demand and actively attempts to distract from it. Moves such as touting FSD, robo taxis and insurance takes all the air out of the room and do not increase Tesla's appeal to mainstream buyers.

Underlined by moi. I very much like the analogy.

Why don't we see $TSLA boosted by a similar amount?

Excellent question not quite sufficiently answered in subsequent posts?

Earlier today, Paul Graham (founder of Y Combinator) shared some interesting tweets about Tesla.
I decided to share my thoughts regarding these tweets and Tesla's software advantage in the following video:

Thank you for a fantastic post.

I do see Tesla as an ever hungry full-stack problem solver par excellence. Software is crucial inasmuch as its mastery helps to mesh with solutions and keep the speed up. In my humble opinion, the habit of always attacking new challenges is the crucial differentiator, coupled with Elon Musk's "intellectual fearlessness". Cannot recall who coined that phrase or where, but it's apt.

What can Tesla do to get out of the SP death spiral it is stuck in ? I have some thoughts.

Helpful post!

One thing I'd like to come back to - my earlier pointer to BMW's pioneering work with flexible production lines that's subsequently been emulated by its German rivals. VW is expressly banking on this capability to manufacture the slew of EVs planned for all its different marques [VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda... ]. I know of one automotive company still greatly puzzled by this ability to create one vehicle offshoot after another, and it helps in the market place. It's not about unifying only two lines - that's just how it started.

Once more, I'll raise the flag for station wagons in Europe and long wheelbase cars in China. It really helps to give customers what they want - nay, crave. Model Y can't come fast enough, albeit in a smoothly orchestrated manner. This is the world's hottest vehicle segment, and I'd be happier if it arrived on the scene earlier.

Reading this thread is rewarding, can expand horizons, and hopefully, just maybe incubate one or the other useful idea in support of Tesla's mission, which should eventually feed through. Thank you!

Last edited:
So any guesses on the size of the cap raise?
$1.5bn equity, $0.5bn convert to pre finance the $565m November 2019 convert maturity?

I read through the document and it says nothing about a raise, just looks like an update to a boiler-plate type document which is a pre-requisite to issuing common stock in the future.

Or did I miss something, it is after all not written in plain English...

I read through the document and it says nothing about a raise, just looks like an update to a boiler-plate type document which is a pre-requisite to issuing common stock in the future.

Correct. It's a shelf registation. They are valid for 3 years and Tesla's last shelf was filed May 18th, 2016. They are 17 days early though. Not sure if that means anything.

HEADLINE: Shortsville Times

Tesla stops making model 3. Only 80 in US inventory !

Your intrepid reporter went on line at Tesla.com this morning and added up all the inventory of model 3's in the good old USA.
After hours of intensive book work we find only 80 cars left in the entire country !

With such low inventory, how long can Tesla last ?

https://ev-cpo.com/hunter/

“This is a public offering of shares of common stock of Tesla, Inc.
Tesla is offering all of the shares to be sold in the offering.
Our common stock is traded on the Nasdaq Global Select Market under the symbol “TSLA.” The last reported sale price of our common stock on April 30, 2019, as reported on Nasdaq, was $238.69 per share.
Mr. Elon Musk, our Chief Executive Officer, has indicated his preliminary interest in purchasing up to 41,896 shares of our common stock for a purchase price of approximately $10.0 million in this offering at the public offering price.
Concurrently with this offering of common stock and pursuant to a separate prospectus supplement, we are offering % convertible senior notes due 2024, or the notes, to the public in an aggregate principal amount of $1.35 billion (or $1.55 billion if the underwriters for the concurrent convertible notes offering exercise in full their option to purchase additional notes). The closing of this offering of common stock is not contingent upon the closing of the concurrent convertible notes offering, and the closing of the concurrent convertible notes offering is not contingent upon the closing of this offering of common stock.

Tesla, Inc., a Delaware corporation
2,723,198 shares (or 3,131,677 shares if the underwriters exercise their option to purchase additional shares in full).
176,405,175 shares (or 176,813,654 shares if the underwriters exercise their option to purchase additional shares in full).
We expect to receive net proceeds from this offering of approximately $642.3 million (or approximately $738.7 million if the underwriters exercise their option to purchase additional shares in full) after deducting the underwriting discounts and our estimated offering expenses. The estimated net proceeds are based on the assumed public offering price of $238.69 per share, which was the last reported sale price of our common stock on April 30, 2019. In addition, concurrently with this underwritten common stock offering, we are offering $1.35 billion aggregate principal amount of % convertible senior notes due 2024 ($1.55 billion if the underwriters exercise their option in full to purchase additional notes) pursuant to a separate prospectus supplement in an underwritten public offering. Through this common stock offering and our concurrent convertible notes offering we expect to receive net proceeds of approximately
$2.0 billion (up to $2.3 billion if the underwriters exercise their options in full to purchase additional common stock and notes) after deducting the underwriting discount and our estimated offering expenses.”

I may be bragging but just earlier today I was thinking (I posted also here) that they should raise $2B in convertibles.. this is at least 3/4th correct!! Good move to get this behind.

Last edited:
Interesting timing.

2db82dde4abc36ac51ec1247ef8fd637.png

Stupid question - why do a capital raise now, when SP is so low. Secondly, why not just buy on the open market, which is lower than the offer??

I don't care about dilution, if this stock goes where I expect, won't make any difference...

Here's the offer: https://ir.tesla.com/node/19821/html

Apparently Elon will be buying $10m worth - like one of us getting 5 more shares, I suppose ;)

Well, isn't this a sight for very sore and tired eyes? Shorts running for the exit?

upload_2019-5-2_13-51-26.png

Last edited:
You aren't getting it.
Ok, EAP is not as good as you are when you are at 100%. How often are you at 100%?

I'd disagree with your distraction comment. Every single driver is distracted. There isn't a single person on the road that isn't tired, listening to music, thinking about their day, worrying about their family, mad at some guy that cut them off, eating something etc. FSD doesn't need to be better than you are your best, it needs to be better than you at your average.
Well at my average I am much better than current EAP.

• Funny
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Stupid question - why do a capital raise now, when SP is so low. Secondly, why not just buy on the open market, which is lower than the offer??

I don't care about dilution, if this stock goes where I expect, won't make any difference...

I guess between say raise at $300 SP vs $230 your max additional dilution is only 1.5%, but more likely given it is convertible, it is likely much lower, I would guess 0.5%. So yes, foolish but not very impactful.