Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wow that's a whole bunch of basement dwellers I think. Maybe some DNA testing is in order.

Morlock...

I wonder what shadow mode learns from my driving. I use the whole lane and more, depending on traffic. If there is a pot hole or even rough pavement, I avoid it while still staying in my lane. If there is a bicycle, I give it wide berth if there is no oncoming traffic. One thing that I don't like so much about NOA and TAAP is its unremitting commitment to the center of the lane.

Yes, totally agreed. Depending on the lane, when in city traffic I keep to the side so that motorbikes can get through, AP doesn't allow this. Furthermore, in Germany, when there's a queue, the traffic goes to the far left and right of the lane in order to make a passage for emergency vehicles to get through quickly - which I find very civilised indeed, but stops me using AP once again.

• Informative
Reactions: capster and Thumper
I find it a bit of cognitive dissonance that naked shorting was "to protect the stock from being depressed" where they focus on the upward pressure from covering and just gloss over the depressing effect of taking the short position from the outset with a "but this is different because its legal."

Its entirely possible that I misunderstand this legal side of naked shorting -- I'm far from expert here -- but it seems to me that the underwriter used naked shorting to hedge their profits in what they expected to be a failed IPO.

Morlock...

Yes, totally agreed. Depending on the lane, when in city traffic I keep to the side so that motorbikes can get through, AP doesn't allow this. Furthermore, in Germany, when there's a queue, the traffic goes to the far left and right of the lane in order to make a passage for emergency vehicles to get through quickly - which I find very civilised indeed, but stops me using AP once again.

In the current released versions, the network isn't handling any vehicle controls. It's labeling objects and drivable space. It's all software 1.0 using that to control the car right now.

The article seriously understates the importance of the Maxwell acquisition:
For GF:
1) the time to get from raw material to finished cell will be way much lower, so the rise in cell count/year output will increase drasticaly as the need to maintain a storage/aging buffer decreases.
2) the energy density increases to at least 350Wh/kg. So without any cell speedup, the GF1 output will increase from 35GWh to 49GWh
3) Extra space will be available for extra machines, since the drying oven is a huge long piece (and toxic/solvents/....) of equipment that can be removed.
Combine 1) 2) and 3) and we'll have GF1 at minimum above 70GWh/year? (speculation from my side)

Imagine if this is the case within 2 years. Then Tesla can build batterypacks at a cost way below 100$.
Even hydrogen cars wouldn't be able to compete to EV's in cost/range/....
And what happens when Tesla can produce cells below 50$/KWh? Energy storage will booom because it will make economically sense to store energy in batteries for longer periods. Now it is mainly feasable for frequency shifting.
Then Tesla becomes a major global energy disruptor.

You see: that's how important Maxwell is!

Morlock...

Morlocks eat their Eloi cousins .......Eloi/Elon?

For GF:
1) the time to get from raw material to finished cell will be way much lower, so the rise in cell count/year output will increase drasticaly as the need to maintain a storage/aging buffer decreases.
2) the energy density increases to at least 350Wh/kg. So without any cell speedup, the GF1 output will increase from 35GWh to 49GWh
3) Extra space will be available for extra machines, since the drying oven is a huge long piece (and toxic/solvents/....) of equipment that can be removed.
Combine 1) 2) and 3) and we'll have GF1 at minimum above 70GWh/year? (speculation from my side)

Imagine if this is the case within 2 years. Then Tesla can build batterypacks at a cost way below 100$.
And what happens when Tesla can produce cells below 50$/KWh? Energy storage will booom because it will make economically sense to store energy in batteries for longer periods. Now it is mainly feasable for frequency shifting.

If Maxwell is all that people think it is, I wonder why they were unable to attract interest from another potential buyer? Supposedly they shopped themselves around but others weren't interested.

It's not a differential, it's a single gear transmission on both wheels. I just call it diff/tranny because I'm talking about weight. These single gears should have similar weights than the diesel's differential.
No, it's a very simple reduction gear, nothing like the complexity or weight of a differential or a real gearbox.

For GF:

Totally agree and if I was a short market manipulator, I would try to push down TSLA SP as much as I can to try to prevent this deal from closing (food for thought).

If Maxwell is all that people think it is, I wonder why they were unable to attract interest from another potential buyer? Supposedly they shopped themselves around but others weren't interested.

If Maxwell isn't what people think of it, then why are Tesla acquiring the company for 1.6x the share price on the day before the bid was announced?

My speculation is this.

First Volvo is interested, but here's the problem.
Maxwell is a money pit which requires economic of scale to make a return on the dry electric diode. No other car companies are willing to pay when they have no volume production like Tesla. Then you have the big guns like Panasonic who is still losing money with their current cell production and probably is not interested to change up their entire infrastructure and continue to rely on Tesla to not massively lose money.

So I suspect Maxwell's tech is all theoretical and a company needs to make a gamble in order to successfully bring it to market. Tesla is not afraid to make that gamble because the potential payoff is massive, while the risk is pretty high for other companies.