Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Totally agree and if I was a short market manipulator, I would try to push down TSLA SP as much as I can to try to prevent this deal from closing (food for thought).

Isn't it better for Maxwell share-holders, they'll get more $TSLA as a result and as we're at 2 year low, there's a very high probability will climb appreciably in the short term. Maxwell stock, on the other hand, is only going down if the deal fails.

If Maxwell is all that people think it is, I wonder why they were unable to attract interest from another potential buyer? Supposedly they shopped themselves around but others weren't interested.
Despite the "We're now on board with BEVs" rhetoric, I suspect that most car manufacturers are still betting that BEVs are just a fad that will go away if they hold their breath long enough.

The article seriously understates the importance of the Maxwell acquisition:
For GF:
1) the time to get from raw material to finished cell will be way much lower, so the rise in cell count/year output will increase drasticaly as the need to maintain a storage/aging buffer decreases.
2) the energy density increases to at least 350Wh/kg. So without any cell speedup, the GF1 output will increase from 35GWh to 49GWh
3) Extra space will be available for extra machines, since the drying oven is a huge long piece (and toxic/solvents/....) of equipment that can be removed.
Combine 1) 2) and 3) and we'll have GF1 at minimum above 70GWh/year? (speculation from my side)

Imagine if this is the case within 2 years. Then Tesla can build batterypacks at a cost way below 100$.
Even hydrogen cars wouldn't be able to compete to EV's in cost/range/....
And what happens when Tesla can produce cells below 50$/KWh? Energy storage will booom because it will make economically sense to store energy in batteries for longer periods. Now it is mainly feasable for frequency shifting.
Then Tesla becomes a major global energy disruptor.

You see: that's how important Maxwell is!
Which is probably why the deal has been held up so long. The big holders of Maxwell, and those that influence them, make more money from the very businesses that Tesla is disrupting. Giving Maxwell to Tesla is like cutting their own throats.

Anderson emphasized that Tesla is being led by a stronger team today. He took particular note of Amazon alumnus Sanjay Shah, who has a clear view of the company’s battery and energy front. The Baillie Gifford senior partner also praised Tesla’s new CFO, Zach Kirkhorn, for his close working relationship with Elon Musk. “I like the chief financial officer, who, although young, has the kind of relationship with Musk that allows him to tell Musk things,” Anderson said.

Baillie Gifford praises Tesla's new leadership, says new CFO is great fit for Elon Musk

I like to think that sometimes management turnover is a good thing. People don't always work out as well in practice as they seem they would on paper.

Under the age of 25, if they are connected to social media at all, they know all about Elon Musk (and thusly Tesla and SpaceX) and they love him. Even in the Midwest, the South etc...
10-13 year olds also love Tesla ... i live near a middle school and i hear the kids walking by my driveway ...

" hey mister is that a Tesla " cool I love Tesla !!!!
or arguing with each other ... "that is is a Model S ... no it is a Model 3" ...

no talk about corvettes or other ICE vehicles :D

I wonder what shadow mode learns from my driving. I use the whole lane and more, depending on traffic. If there is a pot hole or even rough pavement, I avoid it while still staying in my lane. If there is a bicycle, I give it wide berth if there is no oncoming traffic. One thing that I don't like so much about NOA and TAAP is its unremitting commitment to the center of the lane.
That's one of the first things that people say when they first experience Autopilot in my car. They are amazed by it. They almost uniformly comment that the car is closer to the yellow line or other cars than they would drive or prefer.

Add "Safest cars on the road" to the list. Parents and others care about that stuff.
  • super charger network ... growing all the time
  • electric grid getting cleaner all the the time ....unlike fossil fuel which stays dirty " even the EM like to talk about plants absorbing CO2

That's one of the first things that people say when they first experience Autopilot in my car. They are amazed by it. They almost uniformly comment that the car is closer to the yellow line or other cars than they would drive or prefer.
I'd like it to have a little bit of play if say there is a semi on one side and nothing on the other. But, that said, I think most of us just do a bad job of staying dead center in the lane.

Waymo, Uber and Cruise all have 1000+ people each working on self-driving and Aurora has 250 people, but looks like they're all counting on Lidar at the moment. Sad.
This is both bullish and not bullish.

It's bullish in the sense that most of the big players are making a huge mistake by counting on Lidar, which will probably just lead to a deadend and give Tesla an even bigger lead.

However, it's not bullish in the sense that it shows the massive amounts of money that is being plowed into the autonomous transport market and software companies can easily, relatively speaking, pivot and ditch Lidar and go purely vision.

Also, there are a lot more big players than Waymo, Uber, Cruise... such as Intel/Mobileye, Nvidia, Apple, etc. And eventually Amazon.

Tesla will be battling in the market of the autonomous transport of people and things... basically logistics. This is crucial to Amazon's retail business, thus something Amazon cannot overlook.

I'd like it to have a little bit of play if say there is a semi on one side and nothing on the other. But, that said, I think most of us just do a bad job of staying dead center in the lane.
My son drove my Model S last week and I had shown him how to put it on AP, He panicked. Kept his hands hovering on the wheel and would not relax. I live in the mountains of California so the roads are twisty. Stopped AP and especially his wife, said he prefers doing the driving. Later a Grandson and his wife went out and both love AP abd she said she wants a Tesla NOW.

6C8A7B91-A352-4990-B5F6-51A2005CE5E8.jpeg
Both Musk and the official Tesla Twitter accounts have been awfully quiet this week...
It’s the clam before the storm.
Robin

My speculation is this.

First Volvo is interested, but here's the problem.
Maxwell is a money pit which requires economic of scale to make a return on the dry electric diode. No other car companies are willing to pay when they have no volume production like Tesla. Then you have the big guns like Panasonic who is still losing money with their current cell production and probably is not interested to change up their entire infrastructure and continue to rely on Tesla to not massively lose money.

So I suspect Maxwell's tech is all theoretical and a company needs to make a gamble in order to successfully bring it to market. Tesla is not afraid to make that gamble because the potential payoff is massive, while the risk is pretty high for other companies.
Yes, this sounds very plausible.

Also, I think the Maxwell tech is also causing some issues with Tesla's relationship with Panasonic. Tesla knows they can produce cheaper and better cells with Maxwell tech and probably wants Panasonic to include the tech in their manufacturing (but with Tesla owning the IP), but Panasonic might be reluctant to do so. Tesla also probably is pushing for cheaper cells and Panasonic probably doesn't feel they can give cells as cheap as Tesla wants them.