Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla stock had a lot of success priced in at the 300 dollar range when the Model 3 was just announced. People expected that this car can sell and be produced like gangbusters skyrocketing Tesla's profit through the roof. But then there were production problems, logistic problems, and now S/X took a hit..investors are no longer pricing in future production(like semi/model Y, autonomous driving) since current situation didn't exactly came to fruition as Elon promised. Production is no where near 10k/wk from Fremont which was something Elon said they can achieve and solar city is still a drag without solar roof.

So that priced in sentiment is beginning to collapse turning Tesla into a "show me" stock vs a speculation stock. "Show me" Tesla can get through this mess and we'll start pricing in future projects.

Ok, thanks makes sense. I have never been in this situation before. I invested mostly in investment funds or in big companies like Apple never in smaller companies with these huge swings. I have about 25% invested in TSLA so not too concerned.
Hopefully I get a huge cash inflow in a couple of months. If stock stays this low I buy some more but I don't think I will go above 25% of my portfolio. This is just enough to make a nice overall gain if stock goes through roof and it won't make me in financial jeopardy if Tesla does go belly-up

Reactions: neroden
How should the one million Tesla robotaxis handle those highways next year? Blacklist? No-go zones?
Solving the current limitation AP has to recognize and act upon large close-to-stationnary objects.
Given it's been a long standing limitation of the current system (even though it improved lately), it may be that more computing power (ie FSD computer) is needed to do it without too many false positives.

While I will buy an EV and most likely a Tesla, some of us have to rely on fossil fuels.
Even if I did drive an EV right now it would be powered by coal.
Even if Saskatchewan is 100% coal powered, you are still better off in a BEV because a coal plant is far more efficient than an internal combustion engine and the pollution isn't in your face. There are many reasons to not use coal, but efficiency isn't one of them. And of course, you can always go solar.

Even if Saskatchewan is 100% coal powered, you are still better off in a BEV because a coal plant is far more efficient than an internal combustion engine and the pollution isn't in your face. There are many reasons to not use coal, but efficiency isn't one of them. And of course, you can always go solar.

I realize this. But I need to drive in the winter. So a hybrid would be the safest choice.
In the summer though a BEV is what I want.

Solving the current limitation AP has to recognize and act upon large close-to-stationnary objects.
Given it's been a long standing limitation of the current system (even though it improved lately), it may be that more computing power (ie FSD computer) is needed to do it without too many false positives.

From what I remember radar not being able to sense vertical position of objects well is part of the problem - resulting in false positives (phantom braking when approaching metal bridges) and false negatives (trailer that is well above the road ignored).

I'm quite impressed by the recent improvements in AP, automatic lane switching, and recognition of vehicles in on the display (hey, AP recognized that it was a motorcycle that just passed us).

So much so that I just sold my AP1 S today (yes, even with free supercharging) and have a SRaven on order with FSD. Just, Wall Street, get with the program!
No other car company has tech that changes this fast. The FOMO with Tesla is better than Apple in the early iphone days. I am sure there are 2019 buyers trading in for the P Raven upgrade. No other car could do that.

No pretty much EVERYONE has a vested interest to see Tesla fail. Everyone in O&G, automakers, mechanics, car dealers, ADVERTISERS, Drivers, power operators, grid operators and EVERYONE invested in those industries. There is nobody that Tesla is not going after and since they are basically only paying their employees, they have zero leverage with politicians or the media. The only friend Tesla has is the future planet Earth, unfortunatly she has no shares. Tesla’s only chance is to become very profitable very fast.

Elon vs the Alligators is a fun infographic.

Saskatchewan is < 50% coal-powered.

From what I remember radar not being able to sense vertical position of objects well is part of the problem - resulting in false positives (phantom braking when approaching metal bridges) and false negatives (trailer that is well above the road ignored).
Yes, and no processing on the radar signal will likely change that. The solution has to be very low latecy, very reliable image recognition from the cameras, which current system must be inadequate for.

Well, Its about 4x as cold. Saskatchewan is more comparable to Siberia.
Been there many times in winter. Driving at 03:00 when it's -30 in a rental car is a rather scary experience because if the car quits you have about 30 minutes of life expectancy. But there is always plenty of wind year round, so that might be a better approach than solar (which would be just about useless in winter given the short daylight hours). Assumes you are much closer to Saskatoon than Regina. You are actually going to be safer in a BEV than a hybrid because the battery will last many hours while the hybrid battery will last only a short time.

Been there many times in winter. Driving at 03:00 when it's -30 in a rental car is a rather scary experience because if the car quits you have about 30 minutes of life expectancy. But there is always plenty of wind year round, so that might be a better approach than solar (which would be just about useless in winter given the short daylight hours). Assumes you are much closer to Saskatoon than Regina. You are actually going to be safer in a BEV than a hybrid because the battery will last many hours while the hybrid battery will last only a short time.

With a full tank a Volt could idle for days and keep me alive!