Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(BTW., side note: I think if they have 8 instructions then Tesla encodes them in 3 bits, not 4 bits, due to another advantage Tesla has: no legacies, no compatibility to keep. They are their own only customers, and they can modify the compiler trivially if there's a new hardware variant with a new instruction format. Why waste even a single bit on future-proofing something that doesn't require future-proofing?)

Oh, two reasons. One is that Tesla's eight instructions have some commonality; if the instruction codes are actually designed so that each bit means something by itself, you can make even faster, simpler hardware (you're avoiding an irritating decoding table). This usually ends up requiring a little extra space, and the tradeoff is that it's even faster. The toy example might be, bit 1 says "multiply" vs. "don't multiply", bit 2 says "add" vs. "don't add", bit 3 says "reduce" vs. "don't reduce" -- not all combinations would make sense. The other reason is that the spare bit is hard to use for anything since you want to store your data and do your computations using a power-of-two number of bits. If they did go with three-bit encoding, bit four might also be used as a checksum bit, though.

Poor old Australia. Pretty expensive there.

There's some weirdness. HK and Macau only offer SR+. AU and NZ only offer SR+ and Performance. Likewise for the UK and Ireland. What ever happened to LR? It's available in the US. Maybe they aren't making any LR for countries which drive on the left side of the road yet?

The base price of the SR+ in Australia actually works out to around $US42,000, so not terrible. But then we have to add delivery, 10% GST plus other local state taxes and registration.

Not getting the LRRWD is a disappointment as it would be the most suitable for Australia's driving distances and climate. What's also odd is no white interior or 19" sport wheel options. Maybe these are in short supply or just overly complex for RHD production runs.

Yeah, but technically it is just a LR AWD with an extra underline stuck on the back and a bit flipped in the software. (Since they split the actual "performance" bits out as an upgrade again.)

Why? The only difference is that it might cost a little less and that it is slower. Same range...
Because *it would cost less*.

I know a lot of people who will pay USD$10K for the longer range and won't pay $20K for it.

Reactions: Thekiwi
The base price of the SR+ in Australia actually works out to around $US42,000, so not terrible. But then we have to add delivery, 10% GST plus other local state taxes and registration.

Not getting the LRRWD is a disappointment as it would be the most suitable for Australia's driving distances and climate. What's also odd is no white interior or 19" sport wheel options. Maybe these are in short supply or just overly complex for RHD production runs.
We know white interior has been in short supply. I figure they'll probably relieve that restriction eventually -- white is popular -- but you may have to wait an extra year before it gets to Australia. They'll probably do all-black production runs for the first RHD runs.

Its worth pointing out (I'm a games programmer) that even GPUs have a HUGE amount of legacy support to do. They have to support DirectX, OpenGL and now Vulkan, as well as CUDA for nvidia, and support multiple versions going back decades when stuff was done differently.
Don't forget CGA/EGA/VGA :)

Not as bad as having to make an i7 chip still run code from the 1990s,
1980s.

Does anybody know how much of Tesla’s supply chain is based in Mexico ? What impact will the tariffs have on Tesla’s costs ?
Discussed. Mexican sourcing could be as much as 25% of the parts value, which doesn't include general assembly labor costs or delivery or logistics costs or profit margin. Then the 5% tariff might mean about a 1% increase in pricing would be necessary (high estimate).

I know a lot of people who will pay USD$10K for the longer range and won't pay $20K for it.

But for Australia the difference from SR+ to LR P is only ~$13k in USD. (The performance wheels/tires/suspension/brakes/spoiler/pedal covers are a separate add-on.)

Aren't people always saying that they would gladly pay a few thousand more for the performance boost, and track mode, of the P if they didn't have to pay for all the extra "blingy" hardware. Well that is what the RHD countries are getting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thekiwi and kbM3
Poor old Australia. Pretty expensive there.

There's some weirdness. HK and Macau only offer SR+. AU and NZ only offer SR+ and Performance. Likewise for the UK and Ireland. What ever happened to LR? It's available in the US. Maybe they aren't making any LR for countries which drive on the left side of the road yet?

To maximize vehicle number (SR+) and margin (Performance) with limited battery supply.

Oh, two reasons. One is that Tesla's eight instructions have some commonality; if the instruction codes are actually designed so that each bit means something by itself, you can make even faster, simpler hardware (you're avoiding an irritating decoding table). This usually ends up requiring a little extra space, and the tradeoff is that it's even faster. The toy example might be, bit 1 says "multiply" vs. "don't multiply", bit 2 says "add" vs. "don't add", bit 3 says "reduce" vs. "don't reduce" -- not all combinations would make sense. The other reason is that the spare bit is hard to use for anything since you want to store your data and do your computations using a power-of-two number of bits. If they did go with three-bit encoding, bit four might also be used as a checksum bit, though.
That’s an micro-optimisation that saves maximum 100 gates or so. It saves a 3bit input to 4 bit output logic circuit. Compared to the massive amount of adders and multipliers, it’s a drop in the bucket.
We know very little about this chip. E.g. is it pipelined or not, and if it is, how many pipeline stages? This optimisation would only make sense if was critical to reach a certain clock speed, and the arithmetic functions are more likely(due to their complexity) to dictate the clock speed than the instruction decoder.

As I keep adding to my ignore list, I wonder how dark is that “ignored” world that is oblivious to me. It is like sweeping dirt under the bed. Hope there is a way to vacuum these shorts / Care Bears out altogether.

I assume other true “investors” are also ignoring as it will be tough to have reasonable conversation on this board.

Please report the obvious trolls,it helps the Mods a lot

Look at this stupid analysts :

TESLA NO DEMAND .... NO TOO MUCH DEMAND !!!

Tesla's China website gets overwhelmed due to Giga 3-made Model 3 pre-orders

No one wants to drive an "other"

Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 10.32.21 AM.png

Please report the obvious trolls,it helps the Mods a lot
Exactly. Folks posting you're adding them to your ignore list clogs this already clogged thread with useless info. No one cares about who anyone blocks. Please stop. Thanks.

Same goes for replying to obvious, soon to be BANNED new members. Simply hit the "REPORT" button to help the already overworked MODS and they'll take it from there. Please?