Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would love to see them partner with a major convenience store (like a 7/11) in placing superchargers, also adding a Starbucks type sitting area, so you could buy snacks, drinks, etc., and have a place to relax, do your business, surf the web while your Tesla is charging. It would be a win for the store as they make money, good for the driver and passengers, and good for Tesla in enhancing goodwill. And if the spot also included gasoline pumps, it would be excellent exposure for the Teslas coming in... a lot of googling and questions being answered.
Tesla should partner with the Texas icon Buc-ees
Buc-ee’s: The Path to World Domination

Last edited:
Kettlemans are truck stops right? I'd love to see them partner with a major truck stop outfit when the Semis start hitting the pavement en masse. There will be a lot of interest there, plus a lot of naysayers too I'm sure. One thing that would be great for truckers is not to smell like diesel anymore!

Ah, name collision. No, I'm referring to the Kettleman City supercharger in CA. It was, for a while, their biggest supercharger. Has 40-something stalls and a lounge with an espresso bar(that also sells merch), vending machines, some Tesla promotional stuff and a bunch of chairs and such. You have to get a code to enter from the navigation screen.

Ah, name collision. No, I'm referring to the Kettleman City supercharger in CA. It was, for a while, their biggest supercharger. Has 40-something stalls and a lounge with an espresso bar(that also sells merch), vending machines, some Tesla promotional stuff and a bunch of chairs and such. You have to get a code to enter from the navigation screen.
Thanks, should have known that. Great start on the concept though... sounds like an airline Airport lounge.

OT :

Who cares ? People just want the convenience of playing low bit rate mp3 over lousy headphones.

BTW, getting back to the original point, EVs are not yet more convenient than ICE. Mainly because of charging - once high speed charging gets ubiquitous and range > 3 hours of high way driving - other things like convenience of home charging vs going to the gas station every week will kill ICE.

It would ultimately be a combination of some convenience, some regulation and better quality that will make EVs win. Closer to HDTV replacing analog TV than CD/LP debate.
I would agree with you here with one major caveat. They can not push charging speed at the expense of long term battery health. If they start pumping all kinds of juice into our batteries and we see them start to fail then we become just another Nissan Leaf type product. Steady progress for sure, but don't get any further ahead then your battery management system can keep up with.

Dan

Exactly. It's too bad we need to explain this but "feature complete" does not mean it can safely perform the included features without human oversight. A human driver still needs to be present to oversee the safe operation. In time it should improve to the point that human oversight is not required.

I will say this. As much as I think FSD will come sooner than the naysayers think, even after it's approved for FSD without human monitoring, I will still monitor it as long as I have a steering wheel and brake in front of me. Heck, I do that with competent human drivers so I don't know why I wouldn't do that even if the computer is more competent than a good human driver.

It's an interesting aspect of this problem. How quickly will humans adapt to not having to monitor? You don't monitor bus drivers and people sleep in the car with someone else driving. I think it will actually be kind of detrimental to the human race in general in the short term since driving is the only activity left that requires full attention for prolonged periods of time. Without it the level of inability to focus will become truly ridiculous. But back to driving, I think people will adapt very quickly. Now you can stare at your FB/Twitter/Instagram when going somewhere? Great, let's do that! Wait, they're already doing that while driving anyway so what is it that we're even talking about. So from the investment perspective I don't see any problems here.

Its not what we think that matters - its the general perception that will drive adoption.

The perception is that EV charging is not convenient.

Yes! That's why Audi's new ads is great.

All these manufacturers will need to make EVs because the rest of the world realize the problem with pollution and climate crisis.
And there will be more regulations pushing for greener transportation.

Reactions: SunCatcher
For those who thinks that the New York times is great other than reporting on Tesla,
Steven Pinker on Twitter

And what about their pieces on Iraq war?
New York Times had to apologize for their warmongering after the fact IIRC

They were and still are also actively anti-Bernie Sanders and attack him every chance they get. They were also huge Hillary Clinton supporters, which is one reason among many they are still on the current President's sh*t list today.

Starbucks not in large malls have very small parking lots. 95% ICEd. Although a nice idea, it's a non-starter unless Starbucks can be convinced to purchase/lease a lot more land.

Starbucks does not own their stores. They don’t purchase any land/building. And their leases have specified lot boundaries. You would somehow have to work with an adjacent tenant, if any, and the landlord to lease more parking space (and pay the higher CAMs/load fees). Have not seen such an agreement. Highly unlikely.

Edit:
Plus, Tesla would have to be onboard since they’re the ones footing the bill. IIRC, the average cost (based on a 10-20 stall supercharging station) is about $10,000 to $17,000 per space up front all-in plus ongoing electricity costs. Would be more if only 1 or 2 charging stalls. Don’t think that would make sense for Tesla.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerry33