Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love, love, love Sonny's BBQ! But, good luck with SC's in their parking lot. Went to the one in Titusville when there for the last Falcon Heavy launch, and the parking lot was FULL early Sunday afternoon. The drive through for take-out was a steady line of BBQ lovers. Had to go back on a Monday (good thing launch was delayed) early afternoon.

Don't know if all their locations are as popular, but I suspect they are.

PS: went for their all you can eat ribs. Got kicked out after they got tired of bringing them out to me. Happy times :)

I was going to post this too, but i hesitated because his repair shop is located in the bay area. Logistics shouldn't be all that difficult for a vehicle that's built with-in state. He compared it to being better time than german automakers, but i bet some of those parts might have to actually come from germany. I would put more weight into it it was anecdotes from Canada, Norway or on even the opposite coast of the USA.

He did mention that there appears to be some sort of new wholesale ordering system which gives me some optimism, but I'm still waiting on Lathrop to get online for some real impact.

It would be great, but most coffee shops have little parking available to install charging stalls of any kind except for the ones in large malls.
Most of the coffee shops in my area have ample parking and could easily accommodate Superchargers. In fact, our lone group of superchargers is practically begging for a coffee shop/convenience store to be built next to it. I believe you could get your hair cut during a charge though...

Reactions: VValleyEV
Semi-OT. I'm going to tweet Elon that one of the prizes for referrals should be getting a free rental of the new roadster. Not many of us could possibly win one, so that seems like a lottery ticket. But winning a free day or weekend with a Roadster, that's something within reach. TLDR, I just really want to drive one.

And don't forget WaWa partnership. We have lots of those here in Florida with superchargers.
Love me some Wawa. I'm from Maryland and grew up with them.

Most of the coffee shops in my area have ample parking and could easily accommodate Superchargers. In fact, our lone group of superchargers is practically begging for a coffee shop/convenience store to be built next to it. I believe you could get your hair cut during a charge though...
Sonic would be really great synergy. Even just L2 would be nice.

There's a few considerations here.

I'll start with the torque vectoring you mentioned.

AFAICT, the Model 3 uses a brake-based torque vectoring system - essentially, it uses the friction brake on the slipping wheel to load the (open) differential and send torque to the other side. This is extremely cheap (uses hardware you already have) and effective, and many automakers do it nowadays (up to and including McLaren).

However, while it's cheap and effective, it wears the brakes, and it obviously turns some of your forward momentum into heat, reducing performance and efficiency.

So, that's a reason to have two motors on an axle.

Now, as far as Rimac's implementation... well, they're not using four identical motors. The rear motors are larger and optimized for lower RPM (with a 2-speed gearbox to make up for that) in the Concept_One, although only slightly higher power rating. I don't have specs for the C_Two's individual motors, but I think your 1/3 to 2/3 split is actually pretty closely reflected in the available motor powers.

Does it add complexity (and more importantly for mass-market vehicles, cost) over a 3 motor system? Sure. But it adds performance over it, just as the 3-motor system will add performance and complexity over a 2-motor system using a small motor and a big motor (ala the Model S/X Performance).

There's also the option of using a computer controlled clutched differential, but not only is that way more expensive than open diff with friction brakes, the wear parts are hard to service too (since you have to take apart the diff). Using friction brakes may shorten their life, but it's much easier to swap pads than to replace clutch packs.

That's sure not true in the areas I frequent. I know of one that could potentially have an SC and about ten that there's just no way.

Reactions: wipster
Except CD's did not win. CD's are now obsolete yet LP's are an actively sought out source and LP turntables abound. www.generubinaudio.com

In addition your statement "CD's being equal to the master" is absolutely false. I am a professional in the audio industry as well as a performing violinist. A CD approaches a digital master barely but in comparison to an analog master tape, a CD is a joke. Compared to an analog master, any digital format fails in engagement, pace, and timing. I have the feeling it may have been too long since you have been around un-amplified acoustic music.

In studying the technique of famous violinists, I and other professionals, must use analog to discern the subtleties of the observed violinist's techniques. Digital will not resolve the emotion and as well the critical timing is shifted.

BTW : Carl, I seem to always agree with your posts about Tesla and TSLA, I just think in this case, you made a poor analogy.
CDs faded out for the same reasons vinyl did - digital is more convenient for most, and quality is "good enough" for most.

Vinyl is "popular" now, but it's still a niche.

… locking down some mining source/operations does make sense imo.

Unless one is just dabbling, mining, just like Insurance, requires and ties up significant capital resources (and human talent that Tesla would have to recruit). How will that capital be acquired? Vertical integration is wonderful-- until the economy contracts. Tesla needs to focus on its core competencies.

And don't forget WaWa partnership. We have lots of those here in Florida with superchargers.

Most of the Superchargers in WV are located at Sheetz convenience stores/gas stations with a lounge area. It works out great for my trips and all the people gassing up can see the chargers and the Teslas coming and going (not that there are that many Teslas, but a few travelers of course). And, I usually buy something like coffee or trail mix in addition to availing myself of the restrooms.

I will also say that Sheetz gets my business even when I'm not in the Tesla. I want to support them even when I'm just filling up the Nissan or grabbing a snack because they are working with Tesla.

That's sure not true in the areas I frequent. I know of one that could potentially have an SC and about ten that there's just no way.
Yeah, every community is different... we have a lot of wide open space here. But, it doesn't have to be at every coffee shop, plus I would think it would be a real attention getter for those who can accommodate superchargers.

Reactions: jerry33