Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also:
  • If the bottom of the pickup truck is titanium plated to protect the battery pack in off-road conditions, that's also an excellent, non-corroding boat hull.
  • The battery pack at the bottom is an excellent ship ballast without requiring a keel, which lowers the center of gravity well below the waterline. The Tesla Speedboat would be able to make crazy high speed turns without flipping - plus it could jump waves and be stable.
  • Excellent flood escape and rescue vehicle as well, when there's a lot of debris in the water that is dangerous to most rescue boats.
  • Submarine mode would require extra ballast, ballast tanks and oxygen tanks - the compressed air COPV of the Roadster 2020 and a ventilation system would be suitable.
Add some spaceX thrusters...maybe a Cirrus type parachute in the roof...just in case.

Recruit Tom Hanks as Tesla celebrity spokesperson. He's already a green advocate and I can't think of an actor with a greater public approval and respect rating.

"Tom Hanks
An avid supporter and volunteer for The Nature Conservancy. And Hanks often goes the extra green mile to make mention of his environmental leanings when he makes major TV appearances."
Leonardo DiCaprio is big on green stuff, he should be the top contender.

Also, anybody who watched "One strange rock" show on Netflix, I think would agree that Will Smith must be in the right state of mind to become an ambassador.

Last edited:
(The true original master recordings that musicians/ artists rarely share even with record labels are even higher bit rate, or even analog

If anyone is curious to hear how good an analog master tape can be, check out this famous duet by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.
Recorded 75 years ago (1956), even a good 44/16 CD remastered in the past 10 years, played on a good system, will place them palpably in your living room. Ella and Louis - Wikipedia

Lora Kolodny on Twitter

Lora Kolodny (note: generally Tesla-hostile reporter... although certainly not the worst) wants to speak with women who work for Tesla, own/drive Teslas, or invest in Tesla (long or short).

She will talk to 2 dozen, and the one that complains will be the main subject mater and focus for her article.

Why this is micro-focus on everything Tesla? To spread rumors.

Also:
  • If the bottom of the pickup truck is titanium plated to protect the battery pack in off-road conditions, that's also an excellent, non-corroding boat hull.
  • The battery pack at the bottom is an excellent ship ballast without requiring a keel, which lowers the center of gravity well below the waterline. The Tesla Speedboat would be able to make crazy high speed turns without flipping - plus it could jump waves and be stable.
  • As you say excellent flood escape and rescue vehicle as well, when there's a lot of debris in the water that is dangerous to most rescue boats.
  • Submarine mode would require extra ballast, ballast tanks and oxygen tanks - the compressed air COPV of the Roadster 2020 and a ventilation system would be suitable as air supply that would last hours.
I'll assume you're joking about all of this, or have never been in a boat.

Oh wow, there's another possibility: one of my pet theories is that the top trim of the Tesla Pickup Truck might be amphibious, with seamless offroad and "speedboat" capabilities.

For that it would require either a marine propeller and rudder at the back ... or it could intelligently repurpose its four wheels to generate forward thrust.

The problem with that idea is that the wheels on the road are aerodynamic, which gives them very little forward thrust in water by default.

But what if the wheel covers are actuated with hydraulics, like a controllable pitch propeller (CPP), which would not only generate fairly substantial thrust, but would also allow steering in a two motor setup which has normally limited left/right rotational differential?

This solves four difficult engineering and reliability problems rather elegantly:
  • No rudder required (rudders are fragile anyway),
  • thrust can be stabilized even if the angle of attack isn't perpendicular, such as when crossing a fast flowing river,
  • thrust can be maximized for efficiency versus control authority,
  • no need to hide the wheels from the flow of water, if they are the means of thrust generation.
The "submarine car" joke from Elon might have been another secret teaser in plain sight.

My crazy prediction for the Pickup Truck unveil: it will be next to a significant body of water. ;)
0.1% chance. It would compromise a lot as a good truck.

Speaking of celebrities, it's really surprising there are few, if any, out there advocating Tesla's mission.
Yeah. Maybe they realize it's polarizing and half the people won't go to watch your movies afterwards if you take sides.

However, it seems that for some who already earned enough for themselves and their kids, a bigger goal in life should matter also.

IDK. I think Will Smith might be a good fit for an ambassador. Obviously, he's done a lot of thinking/research for "One strange rock" and probably realizes better than anybody how complicated and fragile our planet is. And that in the end, any political bickering and nationalism are stupid. In the end, we're all equal and depend on each other and our planet to thrive.

Last edited:
It's very exciting that the new goal for the solar roof is cost parity (including energy savings) with a traditional/cheap composite shingle roof. That's huge. I'd be ecstatic to break even on a roof that is stronger and reduces pollution. (plus if it is stronger then home insurance should drop over time)

I would be ecstatic as well. But not holding my breath. They barely even got the current solar roof out the door. It will all come down to how cheap the installation can get. I know roofers who do volume work and I get comp shingle roofs for under $3/sq ft installed these days for my clients. Even cheaper if bundling PV system with it. Those comp shingles material cost practically nothing to roofers. I can’t see—yet—how Tesla can get the next gen roof to be cost parity with how fast solar panels are also becoming. The recently reduced cost of Tesla’s solar panels still cost as much as my local installers from couple years ago.

OT :
If anyone is curious to hear how good an analog master tape can be, check out this famous duet by Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong.
Recorded 75 years ago (1956), even a good 44/16 CD remastered in the past 10 years, played on a good system, will place them palpably in your living room. Ella and Louis - Wikipedia
Who cares ? People just want the convenience of playing low bit rate mp3 over lousy headphones.

BTW, getting back to the original point, EVs are not yet more convenient than ICE. Mainly because of charging - once high speed charging gets ubiquitous and range > 3 hours of high way driving - other things like convenience of home charging vs going to the gas station every week will kill ICE.

It would ultimately be a combination of some convenience, some regulation and better quality that will make EVs win. Closer to HDTV replacing analog TV than CD/LP debate.

Reactions: neroden
I’m not sure people could handle Tesla releasing a submarine Truck and a rocket thrusting supercar in the same year
The memes of Elon being a super villain would certainly gain some more weight.

OT :

Who cares ? People just want the convenience of playing low bit rate mp3 over lousy headphones.

BTW, getting back to the original point, EVs are not yet more convenient than ICE. Mainly because of charging - once high speed charging gets ubiquitous and range > 3 hours of high way driving - other things like convenience of home charging vs going to the gas station every week will kill ICE.

It would ultimately be a combination of some convenience, some regulation and better quality that will make EVs win. Closer to HDTV replacing analog TV than CD/LP debate.
Disagree there. I drive around locally about 340 days a year, those days my EV is far more convenient than an ICE vehicle. No wasting 5-10 minutes a week fueling, no wasting an hour every 3 months getting oil changes etc.

4 days a year I'm on a long drive where I have to stop and charge. That is less convenient. In the net, I'm saving far more time. Not to mention the 2k a year in fuel savings which represents a sizable opportunity cost in terms of my labor hours. Since that 2k is take home money that's worth about 26 hours of my time right there.

This frame, right?

View attachment 418784

That bit caught my attention as well, not because I recognized that it's a new panel intersection, but because they quickly cut to the 'rotating' sequence after just a glimpse of this panel intersection was shown - which felt weird.

Edit: another part that was weird is that the inner part of the panel gap is showing some sort of structure:

View attachment 418789

See those two vertical lines?

Edit #2:

I believe the "rotating" scene right after 8:45 is showing something that is opening right then. If you check the shadows and the distances it's all a bit off, as if something was lifted/opened.

Wow.

Look at those panel gaps!

Was just about to post this. Sad. However, if it means the M3 price goes up a bit to cover the administrations tariff war, so be it. Votes matter.
The Administration is doing everything it can to promote fossil fuel and eliminate alternative energy. This is just another way to achieve their goals.

Tesla historically delivered 65-80% of S/X in the 3rd month of the quarter. March was ~62% of Q1. June should come in around 52-53% of Q2. I'd call that a partial unwind. I'd consider a 30/30/40 pattern to be fully unwound.
Yes, it might end up 30/30/40. But the main thing is to ship cars to EU/China in the 3rd month of the quarter. Q1 was weird because they couldn't deliver all the cars shipped - so had some left over cars for Apr, but if they deliver almost everything shipped this time, they will have nothing to sell in July. So, we'll be back to 5/25/70 split in Q3.

Reactions: neroden