Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, I've wondered about that myself. Where are all the celebs that love talking the talk about being green? It's not like owning a Tesla is some compromise.

Sheryl Crow said she loves her Tesla(I'm guessing Model 3, since she said it cost less than her minivan?) after that time her screen brightness got set all the way down.

As an aside: Annoyingly, I went to look up the context for that again to see if she mentioned which model she has and came across the MarketWatch article that sliced out her saying that was, in fact, the issue. The update there still only says she said she loves her Tesla, seemingly intentionally skipping over the tweet in between saying the issue was user error.

I really liked:
“The thing I like most about Tesla parts is their incredibly competitive prices and there isn't a single aftermarket company stamping out garbage parts that insurance companies try to force us to use.”

AND
“Part of the certification also requires collision repair facilities to give a labor rate discount to Tesla owners. No other vehicle manufacturer has ever asked us for this. The idea behind it is so your insurance premiums will stay moderate as one of their vehicle owners and you still get a certified repair in the event of an accident with all OEM parts.”

Yes, it might end up 30/30/40. But the main thing is to ship cars to EU/China in the 3rd month of the quarter. Q1 was weird because they couldn't deliver all the cars shipped - so had some left over cars for Apr, but if they deliver almost everything shipped this time, they will have nothing to sell in July. So, we'll be back to 5/25/70 split in Q3.
If there's a FTC pull forward effect, then July could see a big fall in sales anyway, so this might be a good time to load the ships and send them off. I can't be sure whether either approach for July sales is right. Maybe Tesla does know better what's best.

However, low in-transit number in Q2 could make it harder to deliver high numbers in Q3, but again if they achieved a ramp up from <6k/w average in Q2 to sustained 7k/w in Q3, they might pull it off.

Oh wow, there's another possibility: one of my pet theories is that the top trim of the Tesla Pickup Truck might be amphibious, with seamless offroad and "speedboat" capabilities.

For that it would require either a marine propeller and rudder at the back ... or it could intelligently repurpose its four wheels to generate forward thrust.

The problem with that idea is that the wheels on the road are aerodynamic, which gives them very little forward thrust in water by default.

But what if the wheel covers are actuated with hydraulics, like a controllable pitch propeller (CPP), which would not only generate fairly substantial thrust, but would also allow steering in a two motor setup which has normally limited left/right rotational differential?

This solves four difficult engineering and reliability problems rather elegantly:
  • No rudder required (rudders are fragile anyway),
  • thrust can be stabilized even if the angle of attack isn't perpendicular, such as when crossing a fast flowing river,
  • thrust can be maximized for efficiency versus control authority,
  • no need to hide the wheels from the flow of water, if they are the means of thrust generation.
The "submarine car" joke from Elon might have been another secret teaser in plain sight.

My crazy prediction for the Pickup Truck unveil: it will be next to a significant body of water. ;)
So you're that gal asking about the amphibious rig... Hmmm...

This was certainly true before Superchargers or if there are no/few SCs on your route, but my experience has been that there's little or no time difference if you can use SCs.
I've only done 3 long trips in my 3 since I've owned it. All 3 were during ridiculous weather. Snow, 15 degrees etc. I have to assume that a nice sunny day, especially with the latest charging updates, would get me pretty close to ICE speed. Especially as I'm not the type to just cram fast food in my mouth hole while driving.
So you're that gal asking about the amphibious rig... Hmmm...
A water tight truck would be brilliant to tow a boat with. Launching would be a snap.

Disagree there. I drive around locally about 340 days a year, those days my EV is far more convenient than an ICE vehicle. No wasting 5-10 minutes a week fueling, no wasting an hour every 3 months getting oil changes etc.

4 days a year I'm on a long drive where I have to stop and charge. That is less convenient. In the net, I'm saving far more time. Not to mention the 2k a year in fuel savings which represents a sizable opportunity cost in terms of my labor hours. Since that 2k is take home money that's worth about 26 hours of my time right there.
Its not what we think that matters - its the general perception that will drive adoption.

The perception is that EV charging is not convenient.

Analysts are divided on Tesla. Watch one investor make the bull case

CNBC Host:

"Where do you take your car?"

"There is no service."

I wish Cathie Wood would have just said "There are Tesla service centers"

But it was such a left field "I am totally clueless" type of statement that I think she was thrown off a bit.

Oh how I wish someone at Squawk Box would just get a Tesla, so they can stop sounding like people with flip phones making comments about those new fangled touch screen smart phones and that crazy Apple trying to take on Nokia.

CNBC Host:

"There is no service."

But it was such a left field "I am totally clueless" type of statement that I think she was thrown off a bit.

Oh how I wish someone at Squawk Box would just get a Tesla, so they can stop sounding like people with flip phones making comments about those new fangled touch screen smart phones and that crazy Apple trying to take on Nokia.

"How do you type things?"

"There is no keyboard."

Its not what we think that matters - its the general perception that will drive adoption.

The perception is that EV charging is not convenient.
I would love to see them partner with a major convenience store (like a 7/11) in placing superchargers, also adding a Starbucks type sitting area, so you could buy snacks, drinks, etc., and have a place to relax, do your business, surf the web while your Tesla is charging. It would be a win for the store as they make money, good for the driver and passengers, and good for Tesla in enhancing goodwill. And if the spot also included gasoline pumps, it would be excellent exposure for the Teslas coming in... a lot of googling and questions being answered.

I would love to see them partner with a major convenience store (like a 7/11) in placing superchargers, also adding a Starbucks type sitting area, so you could buy snacks, drinks, etc., and have a place to relax, do your business, surf the web while your Tesla is charging. It would be a win for the store as they make money, good for the driver and passengers, and good for Tesla in enhancing goodwill. And if the spot also included gasoline pumps, it would be excellent exposure for the Teslas coming in... a lot of googling and questions being answered.

I've seen a few sharing the parking lot with Shell stations and there's Kettleman that has the type of sitting area you describe.

This guy is an honest-to-god flat earther. I've used that term in jest at the shorts, but it's actually true.
(note, I don't think this guy is dumb. A bit crazy, yes. Sadly, sometimes the crazies win. Irks me that some crazy shorts are making money off Tesla. After all is said and done though they'll likely be in the red).

Believe me, this guy is totally wacko and stupid. How can you come to another conclusion after watching this video promoting Flat Earth?
He is on his way to the office, he says. Don't know where he works or what his boss might think of him posting these videos.

Oil tankers on fire after 'torpedo' attack in Gulf of Oman, oil prices on the rise.
TELEMMGLPICT000200605534_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwciSEN16FbSoBRvKGwClCS0.jpeg

Live Oil tankers hit in fresh 'torpedo attack' in Gulf of Oman amid Iran tensions

Two Tankers Damaged Near Strait of Hormuz; One Suffers ‘Suspected Attack’
I recommend they get sentry mode update. Video of culprits/incident would be helpful for quick insurance turn-around, of course.

Sonny's BBQ in Florida (from 2017)
Florida Tesla Enthusiasts - Tesla Plans 15 new Supercharger Stations for Florida in 2017 (Public)

And old story Sheetz gas stations in Pennsylvania, US
Tesla Superchargers popping up at gas stations across Pa. offer glimpse of what's to come

I've seen a few sharing the parking lot with Shell stations and there's Kettleman that has the type of sitting area you describe.
Kettlemans are truck stops right? I'd love to see them partner with a major truck stop outfit when the Semis start hitting the pavement en masse. There will be a lot of interest there, plus a lot of naysayers too I'm sure. One thing that would be great for truckers is not to smell like diesel anymore!

Reactions: neroden

CNBC Host:

"There is no service."

If Tesla ever wanted to start going after the media for false statements, that's as blatant as there is. It's a lie that is so blatant and easily disprovable that if I were Elon, I'd note that one down in preparation for legal documents.