Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given that what was given was the average, it doesn’t sound like that matters much. Tesla may have too high of prices for your clients, but apparently not for most PV buyers in CA(yes, I know, mean vs median, my point still holds).

Tesla’s own website even quotes $2.75/watt before tax credits in CA for an 8kW system with their reduced pricing. Anyone know what wattage panels they’re using or what the margins are at this price schedule? Back to my point of the solar roof likely being too expensive compared to traditional combo.

Reactions: abasile
Question!

Since the interest for borrowing is based on the number of floating shares.
If someone buys a big chunk of the float and disable these share from being loaned out, the interest for borrowing these share would technically increase. Cause more pressure to sell, causing a short squeeze. Is it possible that the interest rate was super high in the last short squeeze because a fund like fidelity did this?
interest is not based on the number of floating shares. Conventional wisdom is, as @ihors3 says, that the interest is set by the market. While in principle the number of floating shares would be one input for the market to consider, another one to consider is the desire to have a low interest.

A simplistic supply/demand model will tell you that high supply gives low rates and that high demand will increase rates. But, unsurprisingly, there's more than one way to skin a cat. If rates are low then a share can be lent out repeatedly which has the effect of increased interest without the risk of overshooting the rate and driving short sellers to another supplier.

@ihors3 was drastically off in predictions of short interest which he credits to internal rehypothecation of shares as that would be invisible to him. So would naked shorting, but he doesn't believe that actually happens. Either way, it doesn't really matter: the point is the "house" is getting their interest regardless and they don't care how large the float is as either through rehypothecation or with naked shorting they can supply as many shorts as they want.

But if so, why would this phenomena be observed with $TSLA, but not generally? If the re-shorting of shares was that trivial and made it easier to manage the interest why wouldn't this be seen elsewhere? That suggests an intent, a purpose, a desire for $TSLA to be depressed.

The real issue of reusing old ecus in a swap is the connectors probably would wear out.

There's connectors with high wear tolerance. The wear characteristics are usually on the datasheet.

If you cant swap an ecu in under 10 minutes you are fired.

This is true of the board, but swapping it in a car depends on how easy it was made in the design stage: normally swapping a car ECU is not easy, as all the easily accessible storage space is utilized for passengers: glove box, leg space, etc.

So the ECU is usually deep behind some existing volume and requires multiple interior components to be carefully removed before it can be accessed. The connector swap then takes seconds, after which the removed panels/covers have to be (carefully...) installed again. Mess up and you might add a rattle that results in an annoyed owner and warranty repair.

Total work time of 20-30 minutes is more typical, even for trained technicians with plenty of practice.

Last edited:
apologies if already posted (I did look back a few pages before posting), but I felt a disturbance in the force when I read this:

Bob Lutz Talks Panel Gaps, Tesla, and Why Every Detail Matters

He doesn't quite come out and say that Musk is a good leader, but "...excellent fit and finish also requires leadership focus and will, something that Tesla clearly has."

Maybe I need to retire "Bob Lulz" as his nickname?

(I had to triple check that the date wasn't April 1st)
It's interesting to look back at the Charlie Rose interview with Elon Musk and Bob Lutz...

Bob Lutz and Elon Musk

I have double E degree and have designed built tested fixed much more expensive boards for mass production high tech test systems.

If you cant swap an ecu in under 10 minutes you are fired.

I guess you are fired then. :rolleyes:

Shoot it probably takes more than 10 minutes to program it once you get it in the car with the correct VIN and options, then you have to do a FW flash to get it on the correct version. And purge the air out of the coolant loop and replace any coolant that was lost during the swap. (Of course that requires R&R of the frunk tub, which is probably at least 10 minutes, but you would need to do that anyhow to connect the battery, because surely you aren't working on the car hot right?)

I wrote something similar to Sheetz, but haven't received a response. Encouraging everyone to send a supportive, positive message to the companies that host Tesla chargers.
These are business deals where the supercharger host receives payment from Tesla, and the host anticipates Tesla customers will come in the store and buy their overpriced goods like everyone else.

apologies if already posted (I did look back a few pages before posting), but I felt a disturbance in the force when I read this:

Bob Lutz Talks Panel Gaps, Tesla, and Why Every Detail Matters

He doesn't quite come out and say that Musk is a good leader, but "...excellent fit and finish also requires leadership focus and will, something that Tesla clearly has."

Maybe I need to retire "Bob Lulz" as his nickname?

(I had to triple check that the date wasn't April 1st)

Wow. Just shows you how much he is flying by the seat of the pants or the FUD he reads on Tesla.

See's his first Model 3 and now he is blown away. He's probably never even driven one based on this article.

Don't know how valid this is but the author claims to have information from Panasonic that they will be providing cells for China GF3
Tesla To Use Panasonic Cells In China: A Costly And Risky Option - Tesla, Inc. (NASDAQ:TSLA) | Seeking Alpha

I'd say not very valid because of him stating Tesla still owes Panasonic for unused inventory. That flat out doesn't make any sense. if there was extra cell inventory in Q4, Tesla would have used it for Q1. There is no logical sense to that statement. If there was unused inventory, it would have had to have been faulty or bad inventory for Tesla to not use it when production ramped.

You should read this article. Very thorough and provides a good perspective on the costs of the solar roof compared to a regular roof:

Why Tesla's Solar Roof Is A Bargain, 53% Of The Price Of A Roof + Electricity — CleanTechnica Analysis | CleanTechnica
While it's a cool product, I'm not at all convinced that Tesla's solar roof is going to make sense for average American homes in the near future. Over the next few years, the market for this product is probably going to remain higher-end homes.

That article is using a high starting price for electricity, $0.19/kWh. Largely due to the increase in utility scale solar, residential solar energy is not going to be valued that richly in the coming years. By 2022 or so, Southern California Edison's TOU (time of use) plans are going to treat the midday hours, when most solar generation occurs, as "super off peak" just like late night electricity. Under TOU-D-PRIME, as I recall, most residential solar generation will be valued at about $0.12 - $0.13 / kWh.

I think the primary reason to go with a solar roof is aesthetics. If the aesthetics of a solar roof increase the value of a given house by enough, then it may make financial sense relative to "retrofit" solar. This, of course, depends greatly on the house and neighborhood. We live in a modest neighborhood and our roof is not very visible from the street below, so it would be tough for us to justify a solar roof even if we needed a new roof and didn't already have solar panels. For someone who might otherwise consider a slate roof or metal roof, the solar roof will be easier to justify.

Another potential selling point, particularly in areas of the West prone to wildfires, is that a solar roof will likely be more fire resistant than a composite roof by itself or a composite roof with solar panels. On this note, it recently became clear to me that we need to be going on our roof from time to time with a blower in order to remove leaves and pine needles that accumulate underneath our solar panels. (Perhaps a "low profile" panel installation would have mitigated this issue, but at the expense of some solar production due to less favorable ventilation and cooling of the panels.)