Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure all artists would prefer to be credited, but that's not what happens. They're not going to change the environment, so they have to adapt to live in it.
That adaptation means shaming people who don't give credit, FYI.

And the artist whose work Musk posted was very quickly identified, even though he didn't name her!
The gracious thing for Musk to do was, after having the artist identified, to say "Thanks to XXX for creating this image, and thanks for letting me know who created it."

His actual behavior was ridiculous and jerkish.

This is good. Twitter is a cesspool.
Literally the only reason I have a Twiiter account is to read the damn Elon Musk comments (and to try to get his attention about USB music issues and customer service issues) -- I'd delete my account if that stopped being necessary.

BTW, Tesla communications are an unmitigated disaster right now. The interal phone system isn't working and everything is being bounced back to the evil phone tree, where nearly every selection you make tells you to go online instead. Online chat isn't working either. And email just gets a mindless autorespond. The only way to reach Tesla today was to keep calling local service center phone numbers until I found one which was working -- and of course the person there could not reach any other department because the internal computer system was down.

Really spectacular catastrophe-level communications failures. It's nice that they supposedly have a Rochester (Henrietta) service center, but if it's only open by appointment, and it has no phone number, and no email address, and there's no way to make an appointment because the computer system is down, does the service center actually exist?

All it does is shortcut communication between Elon and all the worst people on earth against TSLA. If Elon wants real discussion. Use a smurf account on enthusiast forums and pure bear forums and bounce the ideas off both. He doesn't need to tell them he is Elon.
:)

That adaptation means shaming people who don't give credit, FYI.

The gracious thing for Musk to do was, after having the artist identified, to say "Thanks to XXX for creating this image, and thanks for letting me know who created it."

His actual behavior was ridiculous and jerkish.
I have to express a rare but strong disagreement with you on this issue. First, no one is expected to give credit to every random image posted on Twitter or any other part of the internet, and no one else is held to that expectation. This was bullying by the mob to force Elon to do something which effectively no one else does, and the anti Elon crowd piled on. Elon doesn't give into bullies, nor should he. Why did no one start screaming about giving credit for every other image he's ever posted? Or anyone else has ever posted? Because it's blatant hypocrisy at it's worst. Elon wasn't claiming it as his own and he wasn't profiting from it.

Re: the whole controversy about not crediting an artist: Everyone posts stuff without credit when posting online, absolutely. However, when asked to give credit, you give credit if you can (and it's common in microblogging to, if there's not room to give credit in that post, give it in a reply to your own post anyway). Otherwise, you're being a dick.

Musk was being a dick for doubling down on not giving credit, and made enemies where no enemies needed to be made.

(There's also, to make this actually relevant to Tesla... Kotaku's article's author found something as part of this: apparently TSLAQ is claiming that someone baited him into something that might be counted as disparaging Martin Eberhard. Unless this is fake. (Edited to remove the link, the source seems to be well-off-the-rails TSLAQ, not even skeptical TSLAQ.))

There's non-TSLAQ sources for that (the baiting and Musk's inappropriate response, which he subsequently deleted).

Eberhard's a good guy and Tesla would not have existed without him. He just didn't understand cost engineering, so he had to be replaced with someone who did.

Re: the whole controversy about not crediting an artist: Everyone posts stuff without credit when posting online, absolutely. However, when asked to give credit, you give credit if you can (and it's common in microblogging to, if there's not room to give credit in that post, give it in a reply to your own post anyway). Otherwise, you're being a dick.
Yep, these are the ettiquite rules I learned as an ancient Internet denizen.

Musk was being a dick for doubling down on not giving credit, and made enemies where no enemies needed to be made.
Yep.

I have had it with Yahoo Finance. IMO, 90% of their lack of reliability is due to incompetence. The other 10% is due to fudging when they feel it necessary or are otherwise disposed to misrepresent facts. Anybody got an alternative financial site to use? Please?
I get basic basic data from google, charts from tradingview, quotes from my broker, and government filings... usually I have to hunt all over the place.

• Funny
Reactions: Nathan
I have to express a rare but strong disagreement with you on this issue. First, no one is expected to give credit to every random image posted on Twitter or any other part of the internet, and no one else is held to that expectation. This was bullying by the mob to force Elon to do something which effectively no one else does, and the anti Elon crowd piled on. Elon doesn't give into bullies, nor should he. Why did no one start screaming about giving credit for every other image he's ever posted? Or anyone else has ever posted? Because it's blatant hypocrisy at it's worst. Elon wasn't claiming it as his own and he wasn't profiting from it.

It doesn't matter who was right or wrong - it's obviously stupid to make controversial statements that could turn large numbers of customers off Tesla. CEOs need to be mindful of this. Even Musk realized what he did was wrong which is why he deleted all the tweets.

You've said before that you don't have the right personality for Twitter. You were certainly right about that.

All day, everyday, people with thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands, and thousands of thousands of followers copy/paste other peoples creations and don't give credit. Twitter just isn't suited for it. Or even if it is, it's just not how people do things on Twitter! Musk being called out for it ridiculous.And the people getting so angry about it seem to be angry about everything - scroll through their feeds to see.

I'm sure all artists would prefer to be credited, but that's not what happens. They're not going to change the environment, so they have to adapt to live in it. And the artist whose work Musk posted was very quickly identified, even though he didn't name her! Screaming about not being properly credited on Twitter is like getting mad at gravity - a huge waste of time.

First of all, images grabbed from internet and posted to twitter, memes or otherwise, are just never credited. And the work itself is just fan art based on another artist's character.

Crazy that this is even reported on or discussed.

Elon is not crazy. The media world that surrounds him is.

Looks like LR RWD joins the herd of MR and silver unicorns, no longer available "off menu"

Tesla Discontinues Long Range Rear-Wheel Drive Model 3

More profit per cell.
This is such a dumbass way to do things, from a customer service perspective. Tesla should have discontinued taking new orders for LR RWD (and MR, and so on) BEFORE ending production, and deliberately scheduled an "oddball production run" day to finish off the custom orders.