Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wait, people are seriously writing articles about the horror of Elon Musk, CEO of electric car company Tesla, Inc, attempting to convince people that they should purchase electric vehicles from Tesla, Inc.?

Demand for the tesla pick up is so high that people are making their own.

Simone Giertz remains awesome. More details on the conversion:

I'm sure all the safety concern trolls about Tesla will be all over this one. Right?

His keyless car killed him while he slept. New legislation could save others

With his wife out of town, Fish, 68, returned home from a Subway restaurant, parked his keyless Toyota 4Runner SUV in his attached garage, ate and went to bed with his dog, Angel, by his side.

Neither ever woke up.

"My dad was dead in his bed," said Tabitha Etlinger, Fish's 35-year-old daughter. "His dog was seizing on the floor when the rescuers broke down the door the next morning. They tried to resuscitate the dog, but they could not save him either."

The killer was carbon monoxide poisoning from the SUV that Fish accidentally left running in his garage for nearly 10 hours.

Fish is one of four people in the United States known to have died this year from carbon monoxide poisoning after leaving a keyless ignition car running in their garage

A friend in Germany sent me this article about difficulty of including charging stations in the construction of a luxury apartment building, resulting in the abandonment of that component:
Die Leiden eines Hausplaners: Hilfe, E-Auto-Ladestation!

Can someone dissect this and help with the analysis WRT German electrical grid and standards?

My minimalist German skills, along with some selective copy/paste into translation services, gave me the result that they had planned 32a charging stations and the sum total was more than they afford or get approval from the city for. However, I suspect I have missed a lot.

Here is what might be the crux, if my google translation is correct:
Now, in a new housing development (about 100 apartments in 12 houses) the following happened. The client wants to have installed at least 20 charging stations for electric cars in the common underground car park. A corresponding charging station can supply a current of 32 A during fast charging. That is, if all charging stations were fully operational, theoretically I would have to hold 640 amperes. Of course this is not possible. The columns are interconnected and regulate each other. Thus, the load time - with multiple use - can increase to several hours, where the manufacturer of the pillars says that this is acceptable, but the builder persistently asks why that is so. He eventually sold or rented high-end apartments, and a charging time of several hours (up to 8 hours) would not be a good selling point.

My summary translation:
  • The builder considered charging time up to 8 hours to be insufficient, so he has no clue about realistic EV charging requirements.
  • That “several hours up to 8” level, deemed unacceptably slow, is I think what they projected would happen when all 20 stations were charging at the same time, and hence reduced from the 32a maximum for each.
HELP??? COMMENTS??

[ED#1] changed “all 100 stations” to “all 20 stations”
[ED#2] AHA, I see that their goal was to install a small number (20%) of “common charging stations”, each of which would have a relatively “fast” charge, instead of giving each apartment a dedicated charging outlet at a more modest power level. I think the latter is a more reasonable approach, especially since you then have the option of charging each occupant for their use.

Last edited:

Formeth thine own conclusions...

Wikipedia: Business Insider - Wikipedia

Business Insider is an American financial and business news website published by Insider Inc. It operates international editions in the UK, Australia, China, Germany, France, South Africa,[2] India, Italy, Indonesia, Japan, Malaysia, Netherlands, Northern Europe, Poland, Spain and Singapore. Several International editions are published in local languages: Chinese, Dutch, French, Italian, German,[3] Polish[4] and Japanese.[5] It is owned by the German publishing house, Axel Springer SE.

Current ability or inability to build cars at a rapid pace is not reflective of current demand, or what Tesla is capable of producing or selling in the coming years. Analyzing the prospects for this company in terms of quarters rather than years is incredibly myopic.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery (again): this article about VW bringing software development in-house.

Although the target isn't particularly awe-inspiring... 60% in house by 2025, and all models running off the same platform (didn't realize this wasn't already a thing for other OEMs?) by 2025.

Seems like the kind of thing you really want to go whole-hog on. Half-hearted vertical integration doesn't inspire as much confidence.

edit: press-release, I guess. Not article.

The story doesn't make sense. It says Tesla was only able to average 700 model 3's per day vs 1000 model 3's as required, yet 3 weeks later (halfway from then to the end of the quarter) Elon said at the SH meeting that they were still on track. BI has made these types of predictions before (always negative) and been completely wrong.