Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model number doesn’t likely mean anything otherwise they haven’t sold an S/X built in the last 4 months.

I’m not saying Ravens have been delivered but Tesla changed to LR/SR naming in January.

The model numbers are indicated in the vehicle papers, X75D, X100D no longer exist, how would you map a Raven Standard Range - X75D, X85D?? Neither. It's a "Standard Range" now and will appear as such when deliveries start.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
Most of the referrals aren't direct. They're probably from people posting Tesla YouTube videos. I don't think the referral program leads to many new sales. People who are already interested in buying will look for videos and then do a referral just to get some extra SC miles.

The model numbers are indicated in the vehicle papers, X75D, X100D no longer exist, how would you map a Raven Standard Range - X75D, X85D?? Neither. It's a "Standard Range" now and will appear as such when deliveries start.

Look I’m not arguing against you, it totally could change to SR/LR on the registrations but what I’am saying is that the naming of S/X changed before the existence of Raven, have you noticed any non numerical S/X? No. Will it happen for Raven? We will know in a few days.

Reactions: Doggydogworld
Lately been seeing quite a few Cadillac TV commercials saying that their Super Cruise is the first hands free driving (though in the commercial later they say on limited access highway only). And only "OVER 130,000 miles of freeway mapped". Also they claim it uses lidar but the car in the video lacks the ugly hat box on the roof. Ok I think I see it is limited to limited access highways they have pre-mapped with lidar. So it can't figure out how to really drive on it's own and apparently never will. I don't understand how this is a selling point. And it requires OnStar which they include for free for 3 years then you have to buy it. But I guess this solves the not having the ugly hat box on the roof.

You can find "FIND SUPER CRUISE™ FREEWAYS NEAR YOU" ( Not in Alaska or Hawaii at all) anywhere as long as long as it is in the US and part of Canada.
Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 14.01.55.png

Super Cruise - Hands Free Driving | Cadillac Ownership

Last edited:
On the other hand, there really might be something to getting more FSD data (as another member already pointed out). Plus it's even cheaper than free charging, as long as people don't avoid purchasing FSD in hopes of landing a referral ASAP.
It is extremely easy to get referral codes. They are all over the web, even if you didn't know anyone. This would be a very bad move.

ps : They had $317M deferred revenue in Q1. How much is the supercharger revenue ?

It is extremely easy to get referral codes. They are all over the web, even if you didn't know anyone. This would be a very bad move.

FYI, it was Elon considering this FSD give-away. We don't have all the facts, just speculating as to why.

Some people (that I've met) considering or even who bought a Tesla don't actually know about the referral system. But maybe there's something deeper yet, like getting owners that don't have it to reconsider FSD or get more informed.

Bet it only lasts a few weeks if he does it - but helps put FSD in the news again. So now I think this is FSD marketing (and the car as secondary). Good idea IMO.

• Helpful
Reactions: UncaNed and BBone
FYI, it was Elon considering this FSD give-away. We don't have all the facts, just speculating as to why.

Some people (that I've met) considering or even who bought a Tesla don't actually know about the referral system. But maybe there's something deeper yet, like getting owners that don't have it to reconsider FSD or get more informed.

Bet it only lasts a few weeks if he does it - but helps put FSD in the news again. So now I think this is FSD marketing (and the car as secondary). Good idea IMO.
Is it Elon considering or Fred considering? /s

Imho there’s a big difference between Elon answering ‘will consider’ to a suggestion on Twitter and Freds clickbaity title ‘Tesla is considering’. The last one usually implies a self initiated plan, the first one definitely not.

I disagree. FSD is a premium product and shouldn't be cheapened and given away.

ps : I misunderstood. This is someone suggesting to EM to unlock FSD for them if they do 10 referrals. A pyramid scheme I like - BUT, only if those 10 referrals buy FSD ;)

Last edited:
Lately been seeing quite a few Cadillac TV commercials saying that their Super Cruise is the first hands free driving (though in the commercial later they say on limited access highway only). And only "OVER 130,000 miles of freeway mapped". Also they claim it uses lidar but the car in the video lacks the ugly hat box on the roof. Ok I think I see it is limited to limited access highways they have pre-mapped with lidar. So it can't figure out how to really drive on it's own and apparently never will. I don't understand how this is a selling point. And it requires OnStar which they include for free for 3 years then you have to buy it. But I guess this solves the not having the ugly hat box on the roof.

You can find "FIND SUPER CRUISE™ FREEWAYS NEAR YOU" ( Not in Alaska or Hawaii at all) anywhere as long as long as it is in the US and part of Canada.
View attachment 420987

Super Cruise - Hands Free Driving | Cadillac Ownership
And don't take your eyes off the dashboard! Wonder what happens when you wear sunglasses?

From the article, "Tesla and Musk have often noted that the referral program is one of the company’s biggest tools for demand generation."

Doesn't this fly in the face of "we don't advertise because there is no demand issue."

Sometimes I think he's just avoiding commercials just to be different and special - it reinforces that God-like feeling. You can't tell me that a longer backlog doesn't bode well for the company in either pricing or overall borrowing power and growth.

On the other hand, there really might be something to getting more FSD data (as another member already pointed out). Plus it's even cheaper than free charging, as long as people don't avoid purchasing FSD in hopes of landing a referral ASAP.
The referral program is WAY cheaper than traditional advertising. Just one 30 second spot on the superbowl runs about 5 million. That's a LOT of free supercharging and free roadsters.
Most of the referrals aren't direct. They're probably from people posting Tesla YouTube videos. I don't think the referral program leads to many new sales. People who are already interested in buying will look for videos and then do a referral just to get some extra SC miles.
Even if that is correct that's not a bad thing. Those youtube channels really do provide a lot of value to the brand.
And don't take your eyes off the dashboard! Wonder what happens when you wear sunglasses?
Good question.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger