Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw this in the electric vehicles side of the forums but thought it's so shocking that I'd figure I would post it here. Not sure if it already got posted. Crazy to watch BMW essentially give away future market share and act like they don't give a damn.

https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/nobody-wants-evs-says-bmw-119190/

That interview and BMW's attitude is simply shocking. I don't short any stocks because I don't agree with shorting stocks in general, just don't really think it's ethical. But damn it's tempting not to short BMW when they openly state their position. It's crazy to watch in real-time, the denial of a company what was once viewed as a trend setter in automakers. I guess it's time to start a countdown clock for BMW's eventual collapse???

What exactly is so problematic with this? Looks perfectly reasonable to me. The silly sensationalist title notwithstanding, make hybrids for Europe until tech and market is ready to ditch the stinky side of it and move to battery only. They think their car architecture is enabling such a transition. It will be easier, if not much easier, to make a long-range EV 3 years from now due to better batteries which has a knock-on effect on the rest of the car design. They hope to conserve capital meanwhile selling hybrids with batteries that are only good for local travel (which is the 80% of 80/20).

Fusion:

pexels-photo-301599.jpeg
Not 25 years. More like 8 mins and 20 seconds.

What exactly is so problematic with this? Looks perfectly reasonable to me. The silly sensationalist title notwithstanding, make hybrids for Europe until tech and market is ready to ditch the stinky side of it and move to battery only. They think their car architecture is enabling such a transition. It will be easier, if not much easier, to make a long-range EV 3 years from now due to better batteries which has a knock-on effect on the rest of the car design. They hope to conserve capital meanwhile selling hybrids with batteries that are only good for local travel (which is the 80% of 80/20).
This is what the North American tire manufacturers thought when they created bias-belted tires. Didn't work out so well.

Yeah, its a lot of rearranging the deck chairs, too. BMW's legacy ICE investment will sink the company if they are not willing to cut it away. Just as surely as Kodak's unwillingness to abandon its formerly profitable film business and embrace the digital cameras that they themselves invented.

BMW doesn't have 20 or 30 years to make the switch. That's what their Board thinks they have. They (and their shareholders) are in for a shock. You'd think that the drop in their USA sedan sales alone due to the Tesla Model 3 would raus them from their slumber. BMW's US sales of their 3 and 4 Series combined were down 25% in 2018: :eek:

Sales.BMW3+4.vs.Tesla3.png

Now the Tesla Model 3 comes to Europe in 2019, with the SR+ just starting to arrive in force. Then Model Y SUV comes to the US in 2020. Meanwhile, BMW's ICEburg is steadily melting as Tesla competes across more product lines. But BMW remains committed to ICE (also to going down with the ship).

Maybe BMW will get lucky and survive in bankrupcy to serve a niche market. But I doubt there will be enough demand. There's just not enough buyers to make ICE a viable new car business. Zounds like backyard hobby stuff to me...

Last edited:
This is like upgrading Black & White television tech to SD color when you should be going straight to HD.

That's literally why GM decided to sell its Opel Division, and to leave Europe entirely. They know they can't compete, whereas in the U.S. they have substantial influence over CO2 emissions regulations / carbon pricing (ie: the expectation they can *deal* with the problem):

Dietz, Thomas, et al. "Political influences on greenhouse gas emissions from US states." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 112.27 (2015): 8254-8259.

GM still has dealerships that sell Cadillac,Camaro and Corvette in Europe.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I still can't wrap my head around seamlessly and casually the doubters moved their goalposts from "Tesla as no demand, $10 price targets etc." to "They won't quite hit their record sales goal so that's a disaster".
Well they said 3+ years ago that Tesla couldn't build the Model X. Then they said that Tesla couldn't sell the Model X. Yet TSLA continued to produce and sell the unbuildable/unsellable. Now if Tesla misses the self imposed goal by one car then all the "superior" stock analysts will declare doom for Tesla. Bankwuptsy imminent and TSLA SP down to $0. I wish someone sold bets on all of them rotting in hell. I think that is a safe bet.

Wtf are you guys doing on this forum if you don't have dry powder to buy more shares. Go make dry powder. Do anything flip burgers idc, you need more shares. I've seen the future, this stonk is going parabolic very soon. $1,000 a share this year. Not joking
A lot of things would have to fall into place for that to happen...but I LOVE your enthusiasm!

Dan

They are building the equivalent of DLP TV sets while Tesla is building 8K LED flat screens.