Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Average age of vehicles on U.S. roads hits 11.8 years

People are feeling comfortable keeping vehicles longer because they’re built better than in the past, said IHS Markit Director of Global Automotive Aftermarket Mark Seng.

“The quality is higher, lasting longer, withstanding the weather,” Seng said.

Plus, original owners are keeping their vehicles longer and maintaining them better because they’re financing them for longer, six or even seven years in many cases, he said.
Also wages have not risen with productivity (unless you are a high level executive) so there is less disposable income compared to 30-40 years ago, so people have to make their purchases last longer.

I do think that, eventually, TSLA will overpower the manipulators as part of the movement. I'm not sure why that hasn't taken off yet. I'd expect a Michael Moore to step forward here. He could even go after a mini-series on Elon's mission. There's a ton of material here, what's up with that?
Perhaps another sort-of sequel to “Who Killed the Electric Car?”

It’s not completely insane argument, given that right now a single factory supplies all the cars delivered to the U.S., Canada, U.K, 16 EU nations, Australia, China, and Hong Kong. But GF3 will be operational by YE and could produce 250K cars next year (with a ramp to 500K.) Hopefully GF4 will be in Europe.

Considering a decade ago they were hand assembling the Roadster 2.0s, it’s not that hard to imagine the production scaling rapidly and widely in the 2020s.
If Tesla is really incorporating all the lessons learned in GF3 and they pan out, Gigas could be “build to print” after this. Just replicate them when and where the market indicates. Scaling up could be fast.

Looks like more and more people are realizing Electrek is a while lotta clickbait

Honest question... what does he mean by "Electrekco cannot be trusted"? Is there something wrong in that headline about Elon telling employees to go "all out"?

You guys need to spend more time on TSLAQ twitter to be up to date. He is referring to Fred's tweet "Don't trust anyone", when he was pissed on Reuters that they didn't credit him.

Fred Lambert on Twitter

Roadster 2.0 base package downgraded to 2.1 seconds 0-60 mph time.

Fred demands his money back for his 2 roadsters.

I think Elon mis-responded in that tweet.
2.1 is the 0-100kph (0-62 MPH) time of the base.
0-60 MPH is still 1.9 seconds. Tesla Roadster

From article:
Since Ferrari did not provide the 0–60 mph numbers, the comparison needs to be 0–62 mph (0–100 km/h), and, according to Tesla’s website, the next-gen Roadster goes from 0–100 km/h in 2.1 secs (while 0-60 mph is 1.9 secs).

If Tesla is really incorporating all the lessons learned in GF3 and they pan out, Gigas could be “build to print” after this. Just replicate them when and where the market indicates. Scaling up could be fast.

Possible. Something tells me building codes and safety requirements in China may not be on par with the EU. GF4 will take a LOT longer & cost more.

But GF5, GF6, OTOH...

Reactions: Green Pete
Jony Ive is out at Apple. From what TSLAQ tells me, this major, earth-shaking, monumental executive departure should result in AAPL dropping at least 50%.

*checks ticker*

AAPL is down just shy of 1%.

Not surprised at minimal stock drop:

1) Jony Ive is still going to be working for Apple with his new company
2) the Apple industrial design team is full of talent
2) Jony Ive really has little/nothing to do with Apple software & hardware engineering R&D - which is the core bread and butter of Apples success. If he got hit by a bus tomorrow it would have basically no effect on the company.

Analyst should be more worried that Tesla will run a monopoly than become a niche. They have the charging stations, they build the cars, they do the software, they want to make their own batteries. If other manufactures are struggling to find batteries for their EV’s then you can see how Tesla could quickly dominate the industry. They already sell the most affordable and high quality ev.
Not to mention if they get their solar builds going, plus FSD. Too much upside on the horizon for Tesla to be a niche.

Once big oil and the ICE vehicle manufactures actually start to lose profits, their paid politicians will ensure that Tesla is labeled a monopoly. That's when you will see the full force of the government come to bear on Musk/Tesla.

Until then I'm sure that we haven't heard the last from the SEC. That is IF the click bait headlines were true regarding the SEC Chairman being frustrated (aka whining) about the judge forcing a new agreement between Elon and the SEC.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
CNBC just did a FUD segment on Tesla about competition coming for Tesla. Luckily they had Tarsha Keeny on the desk to reduce the vitriol/nonsense.

Although Tarsha did talk about Tesla potentially raising another $10-20 Billion in equity to increase unit volume - which might sound scary to some investors concerned about dilution.

Possible. Something tells me building codes and safety requirements in China may not be on par with the EU. GF4 will take a LOT longer & cost more.

But GF5, GF6, OTOH...
I imagine that's part of it. I also have to believe that the autocratic government in China allows for tearing through red tape when they want.

I watched a Ted talk where a guy compared a bridge built in the US to a similar one being built in China. The US one took a couple years, the Chinese one took like 6 days.

Once big oil and the ICE vehicle manufactures actually start to lose profits, their paid politicians will ensure that Tesla is labeled a monopoly. That's when you will see the full force of the government come to bear on Musk/Tesla.

Under U.S. law there is nothing wrong with being a bonafide monopoly. So nothing could be done about it. Monopolies are only illegal when they arose out of anti-competitive behavior. If Tesla becomes a monopoly through their own excellence and rapid innovation that no other car maker can match, more power to them. That helps the consumer, it doesn't harm them.

If Tesla is really incorporating all the lessons learned in GF3 and they pan out, ...
If Tesla is really doing all sorts of new things for GF3 then they're in for many months of production hell. Again. The only way they ramp up quickly is if they just replicate what they already know how to do. But I suspect Elon is incapable of allowing that.

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon