Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It hasnt come up in awhile but a neighbour asked me if there has been any news on the Chademo adapter. He travels the same routes as us in BC so kind of important for his purchase decision. I haven’t paid attention to it for the last month but it seemed imminent then. I think Elon mentioned it at that conference thingy as well. What say yee?

I'd compare it directly to the M3 myself (which is what I almost bought instead of my P3D). My car is partially a work vehicle and I calculated that I'm saving about 2k a year in gas vs the M3. That doesn't even include oil changes etc. The P3D is also far roomier on the inside.
I agree, but today you cannot buy an M3.. Only M2 and M4

I don't think the semi, Truck or Roadster 2 will be built ... and I'll tell you why: All production will be dedicated to building out the Robotaxi platform (3,Y, X,S). If you can build a RT for 40K and it's worth 100K on the platform, you'd be crazy to build anything else. The demand for these vehicles is something like 100 million units so there is no point in wasting resources developing other products unless it's as a Plan B (in case autonomous doesn't work). Let the other companies design and build electric cars that people want to own and drive for private use.

We'll need to saturate the planet as quickly as possible with these RTs. If we have the best hardware, software and electric vehicles our business will be impenetrable if we can satisfy the demand.

100 million robotaxis earning 10K/year is $1T/year in profit. $1T/year in profit translates into a market cap of $10T. (Yes, that's trillions.)

The best possible news from Tesla would be a suspension of all activities not directly related to design and production of future RT's.
You forget the main purpose of Tesla. Advance sustainable transport. A large portion of pollution is due to shipping. Robotaxis will not help with land transport.

You forget the main purpose of Tesla. Advance sustainable transport. A large portion of pollution is due to shipping. Robotaxis will not help with land transport.
Right. Theoretical future robotaxis will not address the market served by (highly polluting) pickups and semis (Roadster is halo). So one again (for the third time this morning) Tesla’s product plans look correctly aligned with their mission.

I don't think the semi, Truck or Roadster 2 will be built ... and I'll tell you why: All production will be dedicated to building out the Robotaxi platform (3,Y, X,S). If you can build a RT for 40K and it's worth 100K on the platform, you'd be crazy to build anything else. The demand for these vehicles is something like 100 million units so there is no point in wasting resources developing other products unless it's as a Plan B (in case autonomous doesn't work). Let the other companies design and build electric cars that people want to own and drive for private use.

We'll need to saturate the planet as quickly as possible with these RTs. If we have the best hardware, software and electric vehicles our business will be impenetrable if we can satisfy the demand.

100 million robotaxis earning 10K/year is $1T/year in profit. $1T/year in profit translates into a market cap of $10T. (Yes, that's trillions.)

The best possible news from Tesla would be a suspension of all activities not directly related to design and production of future RT's.

Semi will have more impact for Tesla than likely any other individual vehicle due to the enormous savings to operate the semi versus traditional semis, thus having huge demand. It will get all of the same financial benefits from Robotaxi be cause they will likely charge Semi commercial customers a annual subscription to run robotaxi and platooning in their Semis

Semi will have more impact for Tesla than likely any other individual vehicle due to the enormous savings to operate the semi versus traditional semis, thus having huge demand. It will get all of the same financial benefits from Robotaxi be cause they will likely charge Semi commercial customers a annual subscription to run robotaxi and platooning in their Semis

And don't forget Megachargers (lease?) + solar installs / power supply agreements.

Oh and

GREEN!
(for a brief moment :confused:)

No, your suggestion would almost stop the needed cash flow, though I don't disagree with your line of thought.

• Each year, an 18-wheeler uses approximately 20,500 gallons of fuel compared to a passenger vehicle that uses about 500
  • In 2015, commercial trucks traveled an estimated 279.8 billion miles collectively
  • 70 percent of American goods are transported via semi-trucks

Surprising Facts about Semi-Trucks | FleetNet America

Semi-trucks get on average about 6 MPG. At ~280 billion miles, that's ~46 billion gallons of diesel a year. @$3/gal, that's 138 billion dollars a year...

EDIT: Math

Last edited:
I also like to point out that companies are more logical and resistant to FUD than consumers are. Many people are too stupid to understand that the extra hour they spend charging twice a year on the trip to Grandma's house is more than offset by saving a grand a year in fuel savings. Companies are better at just seeing the bottom line.
I think BMW is scrambling to make a M3 that can compete with the Model 3 on at least one metric. They may never get there.
I've been told that the Model 3 isn't comparable to the M3 at all because you can't run it on the track all day long.
Sure it will post higher lap times but those don't count all of the sudden for reasons.

I also like to point out that companies are more logical and resistant to FUD than consumers are. Many people are too stupid to understand that the extra hour they spend charging twice a year on the trip to Grandma's house is more than offset by saving a grand a year in fuel savings. Companies are better at just seeing the bottom line.

I've been told that the Model 3 isn't comparable to the M3 at all because you can't run it on the track all day long.
Sure it will post higher lap times but those don't count all of the sudden for reasons.
So a google search for BMW M3 overheating at the track. Lots of posts about this. The people telling you this are just grasping at straws.

Last edited: