Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been told that the Model 3 isn't comparable to the M3 at all because you can't run it on the track all day long.

I did some real rough math with some reasonable (IMO) estimates and robo semis might get the cost of freight down to within 30-50% of rail...but days instead of weeks of travel.

Anyone have the numbers for short-haul vs long-haul mileage? I understand that first generation Tesla Semi will be practical only for short hauls. Still expect that to be huge savings of cost and pollution.

Reactions: neroden
No, your suggestion would almost stop the needed cash flow, though I don't disagree with your line of thought.

I think @captkerosene 's suggestion was to focus on selling robotaxi-capable cars to customers, which would not stop cash flow.

I agree with that suggestion, but I would include Tesla Semi and Truck in the robotaxi category. As @StarFoxisDown! said, Tesla can charge extra for autonomous use of Semi, and some ride-hailers will prefer robo-Truck because it's cool looking or works better for trips to Home Depot, etc.

Roadster 3 may be lower priority, but will not be a big consumer of batteries because its market is small.

Reactions: UncaNed
There's good chance we won't see a significant SP rise until ER. If I remember well, I think this was the case in Q3 18.

I think production and delivery numbers were good enough to create some decent action next week once people have had time to consider how strong those numbers really were. Keep in mind, the recent lows were caused by the fake narrative that demand was dying out and the record numbers have shown just how wrong that narrative was.

The next one to fall is that Tesla is selling dollar bills for $0.90. At this kind of production/delivery numbers, Tesla is funding its expansion with the current sales.

Anyone have the numbers for short-haul vs long-haul mileage? I understand that first generation Tesla Semi will be practical only for short hauls. Still expect that to be huge savings of cost and pollution.
I haven't seen anything from an industry person. I found costs for rail, and costs for long haul trucking that included fuel, insurance, driver etc. Estimated that insurance and fuel could drop maybe 50%, driver costs would be eliminated, maintenance cut by 50% etc. I don't know if long or short will see better cost savings.

• Disagree
Reactions: neroden
I've been thinking about robotaxies and whether I would want to keep a car for my own use. At my age, early 70's, I would use the robotaxies for my daily local needs mostly to avoid driving in traffic and dealing with parking. I always thought I keep a car like our MS for longer trips. Now I'm thinking the robotaxies could also be robo-rentals. Do you think that if I needed the car for a few days for a several hundred mile trip, would that option would be available? Would I pay daily use fee if I wanted to keep the car for local use for a few days at our destination? Would I need to return the car to the same city where I got it? How do you anticipate this might work? Thank you for you thoughts.

Right. Theoretical future robotaxis will not address the market served by (highly polluting) pickups and semis (Roadster is halo). So one again (for the third time this morning) Tesla’s product plans look correctly aligned with their mission.
I'm hoping the pick-up plan includes a future van that can be configured as a delivery vehicle, work truck and passenger van, and maybe also a 2nd larger SUV.

There's good chance we won't see a significant SP rise until ER. If I remember well, I think this was the case in Q3 18.
Maybe not even then. There's still a lot of negative sentiment that has to be overcome.

Even if Q2 earnings turn out to be solid, it will be written off as a one time event or the best it will ever be due to the perpetually forthcoming demand drop off. We need a repeat in Q3 to make them seriously question their reality.

Reactions: Maitri982
Good going to take my response out of context. Happy Friday.

Ok, now I’m confused. From what I saw you cited a couple reports of cracked roof glass in response to a suggestion an eventual “Model 2” would have a glass roof for safety reasons, with the suggestion that it wouldn’t work because of quality issues. The reply was pointing out that you can find “quality issues” around any aspect of any car by reading around on a public forum devoted to that car.

Semi will have more impact for Tesla than likely any other individual vehicle due to the enormous savings to operate the semi versus traditional semis, thus having huge demand. It will get all of the same financial benefits from Robotaxi be cause they will likely charge Semi commercial customers a annual subscription to run robotaxi and platooning in their Semis
How many 75kWh robotaxis can they make using the battery from one Semi ?

Lets say ~10. Can a Semi make for Tesla ~$1M per year, since a robotaxi can make ~$100k ?

ps : Tesla says Semi will save $200k in fuel. Definitely the driver is not getting paid $800k per year ;)

Last edited:

While there is no definitive amount, short haul trucking distances typically cover a 150-mile radius. Long haul trucking services typically start at 250 miles and above

I don't think the semi, Truck or Roadster 2 will be built

At a minimum they will build the Tesla Semi for their own use, they have a lot of freight transportation needs. The 2020 Roadster is needed to give ICE cars the smack-down they deserve. And for both of them the money to design them has already been spent. The Roadster is going to be a very low volume car so it shouldn't really impact other production.