Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My point is, it's pretty silly to blame your woes on the man that's out there on the front line making it all happen. And, don't worry, I tell everyone who thinks they could do it better to start their own auto company. Or invest in the competition. Because I think the peanut gallery antics are silly. Nothing personal, just my take.

I don't think this is really fair. You can simultaneously be a big fan of someone in general and criticize them for doing one or a few particular things you don't like. Just ask any married person.

Elon does have a timing problem. Has he been early on ANYTHING? He is always late but almost always get's there. That's a huge difference.
Yes:
  • Master Plan - Part 1
  • Model 3 (originally planned for 2019)
  • FSD Computer (concept to production in 26 mths)
  • GF3 (projected to take 2 yrs; actually took 9 mths)
Did you just mean Tesla, or do I need to list the accomplishments from:
  • PayPal
  • SpaceX
  • Boring Co
  • NeuraLink

When NASCAR runs an all electric vehicle series like Formula E we will know that Tesla has arrived...in the heartland. I remember when Toyota first began competing and they were greeted with a haughty disdain...and now, nobody cares...

It looks like the amateur drag racers at this Texas track are getting sick and tired of having their pride and joy high-performance muscle cars getting ass-whooped by sleek new Tesla after sleek new Tesla:

Tesla Cars and Other EVs Banned From Texas Drag Strip Due to Battery Fires

Don't be fooled by the fake reason for the ban, a Tesla has never caught on fire on a racetrack anywhere in the world, despite the fact that thousands of them left their gas competition in the dust. It would be like banning jet turbines on aircraft because the fuselage isn't strong enough to resist puncture if the turbine comes apart. Except this has actually happened and caused a death:

Southwest Airlines plane's engine explodes; 1 passenger dead

No, don't be fooled by the provided excuse, the fossil car guys are just sick and tired of getting their asses beaten by superior machines.

I think people are giving you crap because you are very clearly jumping the gun by suggesting that Elon is being "defiant" here: despite the best efforts of the TSLAQ crowd to misrepresent Elon's settlement with the SEC, Elon is NOT barred from tweeting about Tesla, and he has in the past few months tweeted various pieces of potentially material information about Tesla.

I presume he consulted with the Tesla securities counsel as required by the settlement before sending such tweets - why are you assuming that he didn't?

I guess it is the PTSD part.... I think he is being defiant. He has always been defiant. It is one of his strengths. Tesla is a defiant company.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the tweet he sent. I hedged my trading account to lock in my profits of the past two days in the belief they might be at risk based on past history. It appears I will regret it in a financial way. I will take solace in my overall position.

Sorry I mentioned it or wasted anyone's time here. Moving on...

It looks like the amateur drag racers at this Texas track are getting sick and tired of having their pride and joy high-performance muscle cars getting ass-whooped by sleek new Tesla after sleek new Tesla:

Tesla Cars and Other EVs Banned From Texas Drag Strip Due to Battery Fires

Don't be fooled by the fake reason for the ban, a Tesla has never caught on fire on a racetrack anywhere in the world, despite the fact that thousands of them left their gas competition in the dust. It would be like banning jet turbines on aircraft because the fuselage isn't strong enough to resist puncture if the turbine comes apart. Except this has actually happened and caused a death:

Southwest Airlines plane's engine explodes; 1 passenger dead

No, don't be fooled by the provided excuse, the fossil car guys are just sick and tired of getting their asses beaten by superior machines.
Yeah, when I went to the drag strip the check in guy gave me this big song and dance about EVs catching fire. I said if it catches fire, I’ll get out and watch, I know you won’t be able to put it out, but it won’t. I was the only one doing run after run after run w/o a cool down.

I don't think this is really fair. You can simultaneously be a big fan of someone in general and criticize them for doing one or a few particular things you don't like. Just ask any married person.
May be, but what kind of person bitches about their spouse to a bunch of people on the Internet?

I have been wanted to do this for a while, but I can't find a way to do this from Europe. Anybody know of a way?

I would love to buy into their Disruptive Innovations ETF. Let them do the work for me!
OT

Spookily enough I emailed them yesterday about this.

It’s all because of EU reg MIFID II, which prevents European residents from buying any ETF that doesn’t come with a Key Investor Information Document (KIID). From what I understand, this essentially shut the European market to US ETF manufacturers in 2018. A deliberate bit of non tariff barrier trade protectionism if you ask me.

Anyway, ARK say they’re working on it with their legal counsel. If it was a quick fix, one suspects we wouldn’t be talking about it. Anyone in asset mgmt compliance care to add further?

Wow, what a find:

"Like Audi and Mercedes, BMW is struggling to make money on cars that retail at less than €40,000, and roughly the same amount in U.S. currency. The rear-wheel-drive 1 Series, the 2 Series, and lower-trim 3 Series variants contribute very little if anything at all to the bottom line, and the company has established a list of doomed models. "​

I don't think I've seen this leaked before. If true then Tesla is hurting BMW, Daimler and Audi big time.

I'm not sure what you mean by Tesla is hurting them badly. Seems to me they are just saying low trim cars have crap margins and should disappear while the high margin SUVs/premium sedans should be more focused on. Given the above statement which seems to be about margins, the Model 3 stealing share from BMW lower trim cars is probably a good thing for margins sake.

The bulk of GF3 tooling won't arrive for a couple more months, IMHO. Some of it is in AP because they have to make progress payments on the dies and such. But I don't expect the big payments to hit capex until next year. And as I said, I don't expect the much larger building and equipment costs to show up as capex at all.

Well, depending on your definition of bulk... https://ir.tesla.com/static-files/1e70a30c-20a7-48b3-a1f6-696a7c517959

Those photos are small and low resolution but clearly there is a lot of equipment installed, including stamping presses and a good chunk of BIW and/or GA lines. Now, granted, they're probably just bolted to the floor at this point if that, but the equipment is there, which means it's probably been paid for (or at least whatever installment plan or what have you has started).

May be, but what kind of person bitches about their spouse to a bunch of people on the Internet?

Glad you asked.

My wife is a Trump supporter.
Every, and I do mean EVERY day she tells me that Obama is a muslim born in Kenya.
Oh and Hillary became a muslim in 2015.

I smile when she says these things, having convinced myself, that she is insane.