Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I found it interesting that 6:30pm ABC National news carried the story of an auto accident in Moscow. They even used it as a tease. Were there deaths ... no. Was there a weapon involved .... no. Was there a politician involved.... no.

Oh, it must have been a Tesla ....

Honestly, how is it that an auto accident in frickin' Russia makes national news on a different continent?
Desperation.

That accident is sadly reminiscent of the tragedy nearly three years ago when a young Chinese military driver borrowed his father's S and relied, to his demise, on AP which did not recognize the road sweeper that protruded slightly in the left shoulder. Litigation ensued, but how it was resolved has not been disclosed

Was it ever actually confirmed he was using Autopilot at the time? Last I heard, the family just claimed that with no way of knowing and refused to give Tesla access to the vehicle to pull the logs, so nobody could confirm.

Troy’s latest Q3 delivery estimate:

Troy Teslike on Twitter

Pretty close to Q2. My opinion was that we would see some slack this quarter due to pulled forward demand last quarter from another tax credit deadline. Regardless, optics in the news could look back if indeed Q3 < Q2.

Probably too early for Troy or anyone to have a great idea yet though.

Last quarter I was long during deliveries and rightly wasn’t during earnings. At the current moment I probably won’t want to be long during either, but we will see.

Troy Teslike on Twitter

Pretty close to Q2. My opinion was that we would see some slack this quarter due to pulled forward demand last quarter from another tax credit deadline. Regardless, optics in the news could look back if indeed Q3 < Q2.

Last quarter I was long during deliveries and rightly wasn’t during earnings. At the current moment I probably won’t want to be long during either, but we will see.

Tesla management said they expect production and deliveries to grow quarter on quarter. I don’t know why anyone would doubt that statements veracity, unless there was large evidence emerging to the contrary.

For anyone to predict less than 96,000 units delivered at this stage is taking a gamble against the people who actually have the inside information to base estimates on (Tesla themselves)

Tesla management said they expect production and deliveries to grow quarter on quarter. I don’t know why anyone would doubt that statements veracity, unless there was large evidence emerging to the contrary.

Seriously they said in the earnings both will be higher than Q2. They said orders are trending quite a bit higher than at the same point in Q2. There was the leaked email about employees getting ready for further production increases........yet some individuals continue to say Q3 is going to struggle to match Q2. :rolleyes:

Sounds like Troy is ready to double down on his inaccurate forecasting lol.

New permits
upload_2019-8-11_21-18-30.png

I've always wondered why anyone would even consider buying a Mitsubishi. I mean, in what single category are they better than any other brand?

Maybe not a single category. But, looking at the overall picture, the Outlander PHEV is a very worthy option for anyone who really wants a 4WD SUV that also saves some gas. And it only starts at $35K. No other option out there atm. Not even the $35K m3 is 4/AWD.

Reactions: Doggydogworld

Troy Teslike on Twitter

Not to worry. He has to leave room for the updates:

troyupdt.jpg

For anyone to predict less than 96,000 units delivered at this stage is taking a gamble against the people who actually have the inside information to base estimates on (Tesla themselves)
Personally I’m all for analysts and others to assume low Q3 deliveries. Better to be higher than lower estimates than the other way round.

Tesla is not a niche any more,

according to Cleantechnica, 1 in 100 of all US vehicle sales in the first half of 2109 is a Tesla,

Tesla Model 3 = 3% of US Car Sales in 1st Half of 2019 | CleanTechnica

Which means every time CNBC or ABC or any other news outlet insults a Tesla, they are insulting 1 out of every 100 vehicle buyers.

Tesla is becoming mainstream, so the "mainstream" press is going to have to decide if they are going to continue attacking more and more of their viewers.

Tesla is not a niche any more,

according to Cleantechnica, 1 in 100 of all US vehicle sales in the first half of 2109 is a Tesla,

Tesla Model 3 = 3% of US Car Sales in 1st Half of 2019 | CleanTechnica

Which means every time CNBC or ABC or any other news outlet insults a Tesla, they are insulting 1 out of every 100 vehicle buyers.

Tesla is becoming mainstream, so the "mainstream" press is going to have to decide if they are going to continue attacking more and more of their viewers.

Will sure be an interesting moment when Tesla gets so mainstream that the bought off media will start to feel uncomfortable bashing it constantly......especially cnbc.

Isn't it irrelevant if car was on autopilot or not? With an accident about to happen the automatic safety system should kick in and this is independent of autopilot in or not. I assume the safety system did kick in before the accident but clearly too little too late.

It's unclear whether the thresholds are the same: for example NoA might have decided to go one lane to the right (which lane was free), or might have decided to brake 1-2 seconds earlier and/or steer to the right, based on the radar signal. It's also unclear whether emergency steering will deploy while the driver is actively steering.

Emergency braking/steering is usually a "last chance" measure, done in the absolutely last millisecond and assuming perfect traction - with the time before this action spent waiting for the driver to take action.

Kudos to the driver for taking (partial) responsibility in the interview. I'm curious whether the poorly marked tow truck in the fast lane will be found to be at fault as well. They were IMO also super lucky that nobody crashed into them as the car was turned into the right side fast lane sideways. At that point side crashes are even more deadly, as the airbags have deployed already and are deflating quickly.

Last edited:
Isn't it irrelevant if car was on autopilot or not? With an accident about to happen the automatic safety system should kick in and this is independent of autopilot in or not. I assume the safety system did kick in before the accident but clearly too little too late.

That... isn’t how AEB works, certainly not in a Tesla. Tesla’s AEB works(and is advertised to work) by detecting(with no guarantee of 100% accuracy) when a collision is already unavoidable. At that point, it slows the car to soften the impact.

There are some other cars that try to just stop all the way, detecting before the accident is unavoidable. They also tend to have high false positive rates, resulting in the car randomly screeching to a stop while the human is driving(most people also turn them off for this reason). Tesla tends to favor giving the driver the benefit of the doubt, for better or worse.

shorts are ridiculous. Blocking any criticism of their comments in reply chains to Elon's tweets.

Yes. That Paul De Zan dude used to fly a plane over Fremont Fremont and the old Lathrop glass factory building to take photos and invent massive conspiracy theories, all of which amounted to nothing more than an LA times article by Rusty Mitchell

BTW, Paul blocked me when I tweeted @ him that the Lathrop facility was owned by an auto transport company & not Tesla :rolleyes:

Now all he does is dutifully block people on the orders of babycharts and sundry shorts. :D

Looks like serious cost-cutting: my Model S notified me that a firmware update is available, and asked to connect the car to wifi! Even said that you can use mobile phone hotspot to connect
Maybe no more updates over 3g..
Did you check the box on advanced updates on settings ? If yes Wifi required.
But all updates except maps updates are possible on LTE/3G