Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon starting very dystopian, saying that AI researchers are not intelligent(compared to a super AI) and thus cannot understand how intelligent an AI will be. Jack Ma, not having any rebuttal just says that he is an optimist. Elon adds more arguments. Jack Ma not sure how counter feeling that he is being intellectually outmatched in this “debate” so he just moves on the conversation to Mars. Jack Ma says that going to Mars is just one step but then getting back is hard. Elon says that’s not how it works. Jack Ma decides that it’s best to keep talking for a while to make it too confusing to argue with him anymore. Elon get’s his social skills back and starts saying some nice positive stuff instead =)

By watching the conversion, I think Elon Musk is far more intelligent than Jack Ma in the science field. They can't have meaningful conversation. Jack is on the surface while Elon knows much deeper. Jack is a very successful business man, obviously he has talent in some areas, but his math skill is not great. Jack once said in his first college entrance test, he got math score of 1 out of 100. Maybe STEM are all related. The predictions made by Elon are likely to happen down the road.

you are right. Jack Ma has no technology background. he is more a business tycoon.

Jack Ma still doesn’t seem to get AI. He is questioning the whole essence of the promise AI carries.

Ironically, even though Alibaba is a tech company, they are primarily an e-commerce firm and for them AI is more about voice intelligence, marketing, transaction, and pricing, perhaps. They are mostly solving operational aspects and making future better, but are not focused on transforming the future.

He's probably already doing it via IIHS - they claimed they could not test the Model X because its a low volume vehicle while they tested the Audi shitron even though it has an abysmal sales number.

Earl of Frunkpuppy on Twitter

IIHS test highest volumes car first AND vehicles donated by the OEM.

Evidently, Tesla doesn't donate vehicles. Everybody pays list.

Tough to find a recent week on the trading chart where TSLA has been as tightly compressed as it is now (~7.5pt differential between high and low for the week). I couldn't find one going back to mid-2018, at least.
This compression is extremely anomalous and will most likely end in a huge run upward.

Informative post and I agree, except this part. Having the president of 300 million people decided by a few thousand people in small states is a greater injustice in a lot of people's opinion. Already bad enough that 39.5 million people get the same representation in the Senate as the 580k in Wyoming, but with our "Republic of States" government it is much more defensible.
You don't understand what you're talking about

I wonder if the people who already opted into Tesla Insurance because their quoted rate was lower will be effected by the updating Algorithm that Tesla just announced.

Like, if the Algorithm updates to cheaper for a larger portion of people (say it had an error where it didn't calculate driving history), would they--having already entered into a contract--be compensated? Update to their own policy? or if it negatively affects it, would they get to keep their current quote, or would it match the more appropriate one (say the member had 3 DUIs and an at-fault accident)?

Got up this morning and started reading into "Tesla insurance". Underwhelming for sure. Kinda like the model Y unveil :p

I thought it would be more revolutionary, since Tesla has the realtime driving stats, connected car fleet data...etc.
Pricing was too high for most users according to Reddit in comparison to their current rate.

Why not offer a monthly fixed rate with a variable on top (and that part could be negative)?
Variable part could become lower or below zero (rewarding the driver!) when:
- hardly any distance travelled
- no high accelerations
- no speeding (linked to correct maps)
- Sentry mode when parked
- parked in garage or not on near shopping gallaries
- autopilot enabled on highways,...etc

Variable part could increase when you don't use autopilot, do a lot of miles, speeding,...etc

Why not enable/disable some parameters by the user like speed monitoring? If disabled, you add 20$ every month. If enabled and you drive safely, this parameter could drive your monthly insurance bill down.

A lot of parameters should be involved for the variable part and users should view them in realtime on an app or in their car.
(Like how you see Powerwall saving you money because of smart energy usage)

Okay, I'll admit. This is Tesla's first time and only in California. Potential is huge.
But at the moment, it lacks something disruptive, something that other companies don't do.

Yeah, I got that. My main point was that some pickups do, although not designed for, surprisingly well at relatively high speeds. To underpin this point with other personal experience, Toyota Hilux are also driven in certain regions of South America at quite high speeds over long distances just to be driven afterwards over dirt and sand roads. Real GP vehicles.

My hope is that Tesla pickup will be at par at least, and given Elon's ambitions, I've no doubts that this will be the case.

Can't speak for Model X as I've no experience with that, but Model S does also well and feels safe up to about 200 km/h which is the maximum I tried.

Of course, AP won't work under this conditions, but in my experience it's anyway more a toy than a help, at least in the current version in Europe. Sometimes nice to use in the stop-and-go traffic, but mostly annoying on highways with average traffic density as it requires permanent attention and has some really bad behaviours like phantom breaking.

Indeed, Model S is way better for Autobahn. I took my P85 regularly over 200kmph and often to the max of 213 and it was very stable. MX gets a bit "light" over 200, went up to 240 the once, but it's not a speed I would like to maintain. I find cruising in the 160-180 range the best.

My strategy on Autobahn is to drive as fast as I possibly can to the next Supercharger - in any case, one of wife, kids or dogs need to pee, so have to stop anyway.

Wow, reading about peoples insurance costs in california is insane. UK here, model S 85D, I'm aged 49, rural UK. My insurance is approx $40/month. Some of the rates I see listed seem like they must be jokes.

UK is very cheap for insurance, no idea why.

In Belgium, it's stupidly expensive. I suspect the companies have some kind of cartel, but also might be because of the large number of accidents from a) priority from the right rule, b) drunk driving more common than other countries.

For example:
- wifey: 1.0 Ford C-Max, 2000kms per year, no claims ever, age 51 - €1000 per year
- myself: XP100DL, 20kkms per year, age 53, €1750 per year (Teslas are cheaper to insure than comparable vehicles)

just now installing an update. As I already had 2019.28.3.1 I'm really curious to see what this one brings. Another point update? Or have they started with the enhanced summon? o_O

The minutes drag when you're waiting for the install to complete so you can read the release notes. I wish they'd give them with the update notice o_Oo_Oo_O

I just got 2019.32 and it added variable speed limits (not sure what that's all about), more language support and some kind of status bar for software updates - not sure what this last thing is about, will see next update I guess!

For other cars it includes updates for Raven "driving dynamics under heavy acceleration" and a fix for Model S keyfob issue (fob can be updated from the car, apparently!!!).