Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT...

Comparing apples to oranges is not useful for any discussion of the severity of a problem. Dryers should never catch on fire, they are UL tested to not do that and have safety circuits installed to prevent it. House wiring safety is fully dependent on the quality of installation and
operating conditions afterward. Is it acceptable that a house is eight times as likely to catch on fire from its wiring than from a dryer fire?

Garages are twice as likely to catch on fire than dryers. Again from FEMA:

Tesla electrical installations, while not perfect, have a lower incidence of failure than the houses they are installed in (macro). Given the general public's lack of knowledge of fire rates, that is a relevant fact to provide.
I wasn't the one that raised dryers: the statement attributed to Tesla did. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, I can't help you. And, if using aggregate causes to compare to singular works for you? shrug.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: mongo and Pezpunk
Taking Tesla's statement at face value, let's look at some numbers.

There are around 139 million homes in the US[1] and there are 2900 home clothes dryer fires reported each year[2]. This gives a rate of one dryer fire per 48,000 homes, annually. Tesla says that they have "less than" one thermal event requiring emergency response per 10,000 installs. So, using Tesla's figures, a Tesla solar install is 5x as likely to require an emergency response.

But what about the results? home dryer fires cause "an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss." While Tesla solar installs have not resulted in any deaths or injuries they are not installed to anywhere near the scale of all homes in the US, but if the home dryer fires were down rated to Tesla's level it would work out to an estimated zero deaths, zero injuries.

I don't think the cited Tesla numbers are any cause for celebration. If it was 0.1% of 1% it would be "better", but it really needs to be far less frequent than that. While the "1% of 1%" is a facile sound bite and should not be taken too seriously if the real rate were around "one in a million" then I think they would say that.

1) Numbrt of houses in U.S. | Statista

2) Clothes dryer fire safety outreach materials

So SolarCity roof top systems with Trinasolar panels vs any other manufacturer/ installer. This is what the measure is. What are the numbers for the rest of the industry? Short of those numbers, we have nothing to compare to. That makes the point moot.

Fire Away!

Nasty hit piece in Vanity Fair today.

Heard that this was the same author who reported on Enron. WTF?
Gotta be careful what you post on social platforms in July if you're publishing a hit piece in August.

Screenshot_20190829-082155.jpg

I'm very happy to see Elon deliver on Tesla insurance. Even though I see negative reviews that it's more expensive, I'm glad they are getting this prepared and delivering from the last Autonomy Day / events on insurance service offering. Once FSD hits (whenever), this will come into fruition. Plus, they have driving data which is unique compared to traditional car insurance companies that mainly look at accident history.

Here's to more bullish news and hopeful for some delivery numbers at the end of Sept! Cheers to the longs!

I wasn't the one that raised dryers: the statement attributed to Tesla did. If you don't like it, I'm sorry, I can't help you. And, if using aggregate causes to compare to singular works for you? shrug.

Doh! Totally missed that second half of the quote (cognitive dissonance?). That was definitely incorrect of them to say.
I apologize for attributing their dryer claim to you. :oops:

Pre-Market up over $4...sorry I know this is the dryer lint forum...just did not know were to post.

Lint is all I have in my pocket, otherwise I'd buy more TSLA...

I have heard from several people experiencing faster SuC speed than before. Looks like several places - in Norway atleast - is upgraded from 120 to 150 kW.

to be fair, at this point, dryer lint seems to move the stock price as much as actual news does.

Sorry I'm a noob - but I cannot find where to remove dryer lint from my TMX. Or is it Raven only?

Given concer
Clothes dryers are not the only source of "home wiring and lighting" fires. Edit: i think dryers count as appliance fires, a different category.

Per FEMA, electrical fires happen in roughly 1:6,000 homes :
  • From 2014 to 2016, an estimated 24,000 residential building electrical fires were reported to United States fire departments each year. These fires caused an estimated 310 deaths, 850 injuries and $871 million in property loss.
  • Residential building electrical fires resulted in over twice the dollar loss per fire than residential building nonelectrical fires did.
  • Residential building electrical fires occurred most often in one- and two-family dwellings (83 percent).
  • Residential building electrical fires occurred most often in the winter month of January (12 percent).
  • In only 17 percent of residential building electrical fires, the fire spread was limited to the object where the fire started.
  • Residential building electrical fires most often started in bedrooms (15 percent) and attics or vacant crawl spaces (13 percent).
  • The leading specific items most often first ignited in residential building electrical fires were electrical wire, cable insulation (31 percent) and structural member or framing (18 percent).
  • The leading specific factors contributing to the ignition of residential building electrical fires were other electrical failure, malfunction (43 percent), unspecified short-circuit arc (23 percent), and short-circuit arc from defective, worn insulation (11 percent).
  • Smoke alarms were present in 51 percent and automatic extinguishing systems (AESs) were present in 3 percent of electrical fires that occurred in occupied residential buildings.

I'm not sure if my Solar roofs are covered by Home Insurance.
Given concerns with Solar Roof, I think Tesla should insure Houses with Solar Roof/Powerwall too. Bundle it all up.

BTW. MSM has moved from Car fires to Solar Panel Fires .. which is a good thing. Solar currently valued at 0.

It's always sunny in Teslaville...

I'm not sure if my Solar roofs are covered by Home Insurance.
Given concerns with Solar Roof, I think Tesla should insure Houses with Solar Roof/Powerwall too. Bundle it all up.

BTW. MSM has moved from Car fires to Solar Panel Fires .. which is a good thing. Solar currently valued at 0.
Panels are covered:
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Solar Panels? – Nationwide
Solar panel insurance coverage is included in most homeowners insurance policies, which means no separate solar panel insurance is needed. Solar energy systems and the rooftop panels or tiles are largely considered a permanent attachment to your property, similar to a patio or a security system. It’s important to note that some policies may exclude damage to these attachments when it's caused by a particular threat, such as wind.

Bjørn Nyland has been driving the new Leaf in Ladetour recently, which has a nominal 100kW charging rate. So we were looking forward to seeing how that works out in the real world.

The max speed he got was.... under 50kW, just like previous Leafs (but no #Rapidgate). Why? Nothing to do with the car - it's that almost no CHAdeMO stations actually support more than 50kW, even if they support significantly more for CCS. Bjørn couldn't find one, despite being in the EV paradise of Norway. And since CHAdeMO is seen as "on its way out", it's questionable how many, if any, will bother to upgrade their chargers in the future.

In short... who knows if you actually could get the theoretical 100kW charge rate. Even if you could in theory, good luck at getting more than 50kW in practice, at least outside of CHAdeMO strongholds like Japan. Possibly ever, if the trends don't reverse for CHAdeMO.