Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Changes coming....

upload_2019-8-28_18-58-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-28_18-58-17.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-28_18-58-17.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 39
Random thoughts.

Wright’s law tells us COGS will fall 15 percent with a cumulative doubling of production. Examples of this ‘truism’ predate globalised production. It should apply to Fremont, irrespective of expansion via Shanghai.

The focus over the next 6 months will be on GF3 as a profit centre. The factory has better design. The cells come from LG. The packs are made on site. So there’s additional cell movement but an eliminated pack movement.

It’s so different. Is it different because we are seeing application of the learning curve? Or is it different because these are all effects of what it takes to work around arbitrary tariff laws?

What we need to see in coming quarters are COGS figures for US and China production, separated out. Faith in Wright’s law will be bolstered greatly by falling costs in Fremont. It seems possible. Larger orders to suppliers enhance negotiating position. Robotisation will not stop on the East side of the Pacific, just because all eyes are on the West side.

Basically, I don’t want to hear the following...
What did you learn from making a million model 3s?
We learned to make them in China.

Another positive example:

"My quote on Tesla (Model 3) was actually a little less than I'm paying with State Farm for similar coverage. If I drop the deductables to min and max the coverage limits, it would be better plan for similar $.

$103/mth vs $120/mth (similar coverage)"​

Looks like Tesla is selecting low risk profile drivers, with a possible bonus for Autopilot and FSD owners - which is the correct approach IMO.
AH! For those of us existing Tesla owners asking about insurance, Tesla already knows our driving habits and probably prices insurance accordingly, no??

That's why the wide range of price quotes.

EDIT- I was mistaken. Thanks to @izemize for clearing this up:

From the faq page (Tesla Insurance):
Does Tesla Insurance use driver data to price insurance?
Tesla Insurance does not use nor record vehicle data, such as GPS or vehicle camera footage, when pricing insurance.

Last edited:
AH! For those of us existing Tesla owners asking about insurance, Tesla already knows our driving habits and probably prices insurance accordingly, no??

That's why the wide range of price quotes.

From the faq page (Tesla Insurance):
Does Tesla Insurance use driver data to price insurance?
Tesla Insurance does not use nor record vehicle data, such as GPS or vehicle camera footage, when pricing insurance.

With the number of quotes being mentioned here that have Tesla's insurance offering being significantly more expensive I think it is important to note that Tesla is not trying to, nor does it need to, give a better offer than everyone else.

I have no idea what targets Tesla has for adoption, but given the non-representative sampling here it looks like they could capture 10% of the Tesla vehicle insurance market. And, if they are able to prevail easily in claims cases due to the data collection capabilities of their cars, it could end up driving costs down so that they can gain access to more of the market.

But I don't see them ever gaining anywhere near 100% of even the Tesla vehicle insurance market. I'd be extremely surprised if they were competitive against my insurance (I'm not in California so I can't get a quote yet) -- which would have to take into account that my home insurance would go up if I didn't have my car also insured with them. These bundling deals will be hard to penetrate and I'm not sure that there is any need for them to do so.

As to marketing claims about being less expensive? Those are par for the course and I expect will always be true for some and false for many.

[edited to improve wording in first paragraph]

I think you've got exactly the right idea about Tesla Insurance - good enough so that anybody stuck with the ridiculously high priced insurance have a readily available alternative, and as loss information gets better and better with AP, has the possibility of forcing down insurance prices for all Tesla drivers.

Tesla can just get away with this being revenue neutral, and it becomes - like the superchargers - an important marketing tool for the ecosystem and product.

Tesla can just get away with this being revenue neutral, and it becomes - like the superchargers - an important marketing tool for the ecosystem and product.

There's a lot of possibilities, but I'm not sure Tesla can or should compete with "bait & switch" rates that many insurers offer to new customers, in hope of catching the most profitable pool of customers that don't mind or don't notice a modest rise in fees in the second year ...

Those rates almost certainly have zero or negative margins. (To traditional insurance companies.)

With Tesla Insurance, I'm reading the quotes owners are reporting that above their current insurance plans and have been scratching my head initially. But then I thought about the four things that Elon talked about in the last earnings call necessary for high volume Tesla car sales in any geography:

Mr. Musk (Q2 '19 Earnings Transcript): "So, you have to have service, you have to have supercharging and charging well sorted out, you could have good consumer financing and then the price must make sense. And any place where those four things are true, our sales are great. "

Looking at the past pattern, mobile service and financing were not introduced to generate revenues/profits, but to enable car sales. Adding a fifth item that people need to the four things Elon talked about above - it would be "affordable insurance". This might be the last leg needed to achieve affordability for the max audience size in more mature markets - i.e. California.

It sounds like from here and Tesla reddit there have been a few Tesla owners who have found a lower rate from Tesla Insurance than their current plan because their current rates are escalated from previous marks on their driving record. Imagine other potential Tesla buyers (who wanted to trade in lower value cars for a Model 3) who wanted to buy a >$40K car, but found the rates too prohibitive - much higher than the rates they were paying on their economy car they wanted to trade-in. These potential buyers would have never bought the Tesla car.

Now with Tesla insurance, it expands to buyer market to these potential buyers (though adding the risk of insurance adverse selection for Tesla's insurance partner).

Tesla did not introduce insurance to make money selling insurance or to lower existing owner's rates. My theory is that Tesla introduced insurance to sell more cars to a wider audience. This would be why such a small percentage of existing owners are seeing better rates - because the potential owners who would benefit from these rates were previously priced out of buying Tesla cars because of insurance rates available to them prior to Tesla insurance being available.

This theory would be proved out if we see much higher adoption by new car buyers of Tesla insurance in California than in the existing owner base. That being said - Once Tesla insurance comes back online, it could turn out pricing has been upended and this theory is pure conjecture.

With Tesla Insurance, I'm reading the quotes owners are reporting that above their current insurance plans and have been scratching my head initially. But then I thought about the four things that Elon talked about in the last earnings call necessary for high volume Tesla car sales in any geography:

Mr. Musk (Q2 '19 Earnings Transcript): "So, you have to have service, you have to have supercharging and charging well sorted out, you could have good consumer financing and then the price must make sense. And any place where those four things are true, our sales are great. "

Looking at the past pattern, mobile service and financing were not introduced to generate revenues/profits, but to enable car sales. Adding a fifth item that people need to the four things Elon talked about above - it would be "affordable insurance". This might be the last leg needed to achieve affordability for the max audience size in more mature markets - i.e. California.

It sounds like from here and Tesla reddit there have been a few Tesla owners who have found a lower rate from Tesla Insurance than their current plan because their current rates are escalated from previous marks on their driving record. Imagine other potential Tesla buyers (who wanted to trade in lower value cars for a Model 3) who wanted to buy a >$40K car, but found the rates too prohibitive - much higher than the rates they were paying on their economy car they wanted to trade-in. These potential buyers would have never bought the Tesla car.

Now with Tesla insurance, it expands to buyer market to these potential buyers (though adding the risk of insurance adverse selection for Tesla's insurance partner).

Tesla did not introduce insurance to make money selling insurance or to lower existing owner's rates. My theory is that Tesla introduced insurance to sell more cars to a wider audience. This would be why such a small percentage of existing owners are seeing better rates - because the potential owners who would benefit from these rates were previously priced out of buying Tesla cars because of insurance rates available to them prior to Tesla insurance being available.

This theory would be proved out if we see much higher adoption by new car buyers of Tesla insurance in California than in the existing owner base. That being said - Once Tesla insurance comes back online, it could turn out pricing has been upended and this theory is pure conjecture.

It is also true that setting insurance rates can be tricky, initially, and needs fairly constant adjustment...

If Tesla beats every other company on rates all the time, that isn't necessarily good..

I think Tesla is probably looking to control the cost of repairs by using their own body shops.

It is going to take a few years for Tesla to get really good at insurance, they have probably acquired a company with experienced staff, but they need to see how their model operates in the real world.

I'm sure it is also about making cars more affordable... so it is a demand lever....

65DD4A0E-5AF6-4E7C-9067-07F3527DFF13.jpeg
Already time to panic! Water and bread almost gone from the grocery stores.

This is Titusville, the town North of Cocoa, and across from Kennedy Space Center.

Observation: Cocoa, FL (one of the two Starship production sites) is right in the middle of the NHC Dorian track:

69580126_10156732115404211_4512191279949414400_n.jpg

Thankfully, they just finished this:

1579580.jpg

I think you've got exactly the right idea about Tesla Insurance - good enough so that anybody stuck with the ridiculously high priced insurance have a readily available alternative, and as loss information gets better and better with AP, has the possibility of forcing down insurance prices for all Tesla drivers.

It also sets up Tesla to develop a commercial insurance product available for ridesharing. This is important since most personal insurance policies won't cover your personal vehicle being used for ridesharing.

Observation: Cocoa, FL (one of the two Starship production sites) is right in the middle of the NHC Dorian track:

69580126_10156732115404211_4512191279949414400_n.jpg

Thankfully, they just finished this:

1579580.jpg

Unfortunately that shelter is probably not enough for the potentially category 4 or 5 storm that some models are predicting would hit the Space Coast in 4-5 days:

40686117e764765707363fe7836c7c793802ca9402a05a1bbf8abae3e0a1776b.gif

Some models are also predicting a stall, which might further increase cumulative rainfall. Combined with the King Tide around August 30 flooding would be a major concern as well.

Last edited: