Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla moved down faster than macros, it should move up faster than it too.

Nice to have such strength going into August numbers (start coming out next week), however :)

In addition to the August numbers, traders in the US are back from their Hamptons' summer after this Labor Day weekend and we should start to see trading volumes pick up next week.

Semi OT?

The Tesla Semi's camera-based side mirrors are getting closer to reality | teslarati.com

tesla-semi-cockpit-1.jpg

Last edited:
Bjørn Nyland has been driving the new Leaf in Ladetour recently, which has a nominal 100kW charging rate. So we were looking forward to seeing how that works out in the real world.

The max speed he got was.... under 50kW, just like previous Leafs (but no #Rapidgate). Why? Nothing to do with the car - it's that almost no CHAdeMO stations actually support more than 50kW, even if they support significantly more for CCS. Bjørn couldn't find one, despite being in the EV paradise of Norway. And since CHAdeMO is seen as "on its way out", it's questionable how many, if any, will bother to upgrade their chargers in the future.

In short... who knows if you actually could get the theoretical 100kW charge rate. Even if you could in theory, good luck at getting more than 50kW in practice, at least outside of CHAdeMO strongholds like Japan. Possibly ever, if the trends don't reverse for CHAdeMO.

Some of the new BC hydro locations are 100 KW. Facebook had one fellow showing 76 KW charging rate.

So did Tesla acquire an insurance company, are they just partnering with one, or are they the insurance company itself?

In the first and last cases, I'd think Tesla would see premium payments above insurance claims/operational costs as pure profit. If just partnering, they'd have to pay some to their partnered insurance provider.

Anyone know?

• Helpful
Reactions: SpaceCash
So did Tesla acquire an insurance company, are they just partnering with one, or are they the insurance company itself?

In the first and last cases, I'd think Tesla would see premium payments above insurance claims/operational costs as pure profit. If just partnering, they'd have to pay some to their partnered insurance provider.

Anyone know?

Elon mentioned an acquisition previously.
https://techcrunch.com/2019/06/11/t...which-will-help-launch-its-insurance-product/
So likely purchased an existing company to serve as the front.

I'm very happy to see Elon deliver on Tesla insurance. Even though I see negative reviews that it's more expensive, I'm glad they are getting this prepared and delivering from the last Autonomy Day / events on insurance service offering. Once FSD hits (whenever), this will come into fruition. Plus, they have driving data which is unique compared to traditional car insurance companies that mainly look at accident history.

Here's to more bullish news and hopeful for some delivery numbers at the end of Sept! Cheers to the longs!

Plus, most accidents that result in a total loss will also result in another Tesla sale.

I think Jack Ma embarrassed himself next to Elon.

Ma - "Humans created computers. Computers never created a human, therefore humans are smarter than computers."
Elon - (thinking to himself) "How was this guy picked to discuss AI alongside me? This guy is an idiot."
They are talking to completely different audiences.

Ma is talking to average Chinese social media users, that’s why he self claims to be “Street smart”. He’s more concerned about how his words would be reported and how that would affect his public image.

Elon on the other side assumed it’s a serious discussion of AI future, given the name of the event.

That’s where the disconnect came from.
Believe me, Ma is not as uninformed as he might sound publicly.

This is the more interesting part to me. Is this just refilling the pipeline or are sales picking up.
Last time they had more ships to China but spending less time loading. It is good that this time all the ships to China are loading for 2 or 3 working days - last time it was just 1 or 2.

BTW, going by actual time spent in the dock can be misleading - need to go by working days (say 7 AM to 5 PM) spent loading.

ps : They have sent one more ship to EU compared to last quarter this time. Will be interesting to see what they do in Sep. In June they sent one ship to China early and then one quite late, which would have been delivered in July.

Last edited:

Anyone know?

State National is partnering with Tesla. This was disclosed in California Department of Insurance filings last April.

Tesla insurance product to be fronted by Markel's State National - Reinsurance News

The program is going to be marketed to consumers through a digital InsurTech platform from Tesla Insurance Services, with consensual sharing of vehicle and consumer data enabling policyholders to achieve lower car insurance costs under the program.

State National says in the filing that it recognises the advanced technology from Tesla could reduce accident and collision frequency or severity, helping to also keep the costs of insurance lower.

The Tesla insurance program is to be run separately from other auto programs under the State National banner, the company said.

Bjørn Nyland has been driving the new Leaf in Ladetour recently, which has a nominal 100kW charging rate. So we were looking forward to seeing how that works out in the real world.

The max speed he got was.... under 50kW, just like previous Leafs (but no #Rapidgate). Why? Nothing to do with the car - it's that almost no CHAdeMO stations actually support more than 50kW, even if they support significantly more for CCS. Bjørn couldn't find one, despite being in the EV paradise of Norway. And since CHAdeMO is seen as "on its way out", it's questionable how many, if any, will bother to upgrade their chargers in the future.

In short... who knows if you actually could get the theoretical 100kW charge rate. Even if you could in theory, good luck at getting more than 50kW in practice, at least outside of CHAdeMO strongholds like Japan. Possibly ever, if the trends don't reverse for CHAdeMO.
Wait, the Leaf isn't CCS? I thought that was the standard in Europe and everyone had to comply? Was a special charge port for Europe just a scam by Musk to cheat investors? Does he need to go to prison for it? Oh wait that was Nissan's CEO who went to prison, never mind.

Wait, the Leaf isn't CCS? I thought that was the standard in Europe and everyone had to comply? Was a special charge port for Europe just a scam by Musk to cheat investors? Does he need to go to prison for it? Oh wait that was Nissan's CEO who went to prison, never mind.
Public fast chargers have to have the CCS plug in Europe.
Ionity chargers for example are generally CCS only, although in some countries apparently they are required to also add a Chademo cable.

There are really four (at least) fast charging standards: Tesla, CCS Europe, CCS North America, ChaDeMo Japan. There certainly are CHAdeMO in Europe. CCS is the only standard that won't go world wide because of the split between North America and Europe.

There are really four (at least) fast charging standards: Tesla, CCS Europe, CCS North America, ChaDeMo Japan. There certainly are CHAdeMO in Europe. CCS is the only standard that won't go world wide because of the split between North America and Europe.

And GB/T (China).

I really wish CharIN would just declare CCS Type 1 deprecated and support moving to only CCS Type 2 in the future (since CCS Type 2 has taken off faster than Type 1, and is more capable). That split was a ridiculous idea.

Last time they had more ships to China but spending less time loading. It is good that this time all the ships to China are loading for 2 or 3 working days - last time it was just 1 or 2.

BTW, going by actual time spent in the dock can be misleading - need to go by working days (say 7 AM to 5 PM) spent loading.

ps : They have sent one more ship to EU compared to last quarter this time. Will be interesting to see what they do in Sep. In June they sent one ship to China early and then one quite late, which would have been delivered in July.

So, production has slowed and its taking longer to fill the ships ?
Chief Editor
Shortsville Times