Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the word "Tesla" creeping back into this disqus page. Not that I'm stalking - it's just a page I've checked habitually for about 4 years for interesting Tesla insights.

Disqus Profile - neroden
My assumption is a post-Labor Day amnesty/return. Too much to discuss.

A long wheel base 3 says a couple of things. (Assuming not photoshopped)

Information leaks are no longer a problem.

When there is a leak we can be confident it’s intentional.

And it means we have no clue what other surprises are in store. I like that. It means shorts are walking blindfold through a mine field.
This is a joke there is no long wheel base Model 3. Do you have any concept of how much it would cost just for the new stamping dies? Then to make the new chasis parts?

Need a longer wheelbase Model 3? Get a frikin' Model S! (ffs)

Cheers!

P.S. Model S already had an "Executive Seating" option. It was discontinued due to poor sales. Word.

Tesla Model S Now Offers "Executive" Rear Seating – Car and Driver | Feb 5, 2015

Last edited:
The hardware doesn't read the roadsigns, that's a software function. Same NN running on all versions of the hdw right now, including those with the new FSD computer. Elon said it will be 2019Q4 before some differences in performance emerge between it and older hdw processors. This is likely to include the NN reading roadsigns (speed, stopsigns) and traffic lights) which is one of the capabilities holding back release of the next generaltion of Tesla's software.

TL;dr Currently available Tesla's don't read traffic signs, regardless of hardware version.

nitpick: I believe AP1 still does.

TSLA made the Top 10 Gainers list on the NASDAQ-100 today:
(we're up 2.84% vs. 1.51% for the NDX)

NASDAQ-100.%Gainers.UP.2019-02-29.png

How will we finish the week? Options open interest seems relatively light for tomorrow. A lot of Calls were closed today at the 222.5 strike price (approx. a net of 8,760 Calls closed today, based on end-of-day Call Volume - Open Interest)

Tomorrow, Traders might also be taking positions before August 2019 Deliveries Estimates, which should be out by the time trading resumes on Sep 3rd.

Cheers!

My information is Tesla had to stop using the software from Mobile-Eye as part of the divorce, and now runs their own vision software on AP1.

Nope. AP1 isn't re-programable like that, it is mainly a hardware based vision solution.

My understanding is that it is a patent issue that prevents Tesla from reading the speed limit signs in their own software. (Though I wonder if they could run a utility that read the signs and uploaded the data to a database, and if multiple Teslas confirmed the same information then they could update the database that is deployed to cars to get around a direct usage of the speed limit signs in the car.)

I've not heard that before and would very much appreciate a source.
It's mainly info gleaned from the overall drop in performance of AP1 after the divorce, and the time it took Tesla to achieve parity with the previous Mobileye-only solution. So lots of reading between the lines, mostly because the whole program is a closely held secret.

This Sep 15, 2016 article from the LA Times is pretty revealing, though:

"Tesla Motors and parts supplier Mobileye broke up in July. Now the two sides are dissing each other with wildly different takes on what caused the split.

But Tesla says that wasn’t the reason for the companies’ split. A spokeswoman for the automaker told The Times on Thursday afternoon that the reason Mobileye was mad is because Tesla was developing a video-processing system of its own. When Mobileye found out, it “attempted to force Tesla to discontinue this development, pay them more, and use their products in future hardware,” the spokeswoman said.

When Tesla refused, she said, Mobileye “discontinued hardware support for future platforms and released public statements implying that this discontinuance was motivated by safety concerns.” At the time, Mobileye said it would end its relationship with Tesla when its current contract ran out."​

So my inpression is that when Mobileye discontinued support for AP1, that meant they would nolonger provide software/firmware updates for AP1. This was part of their business strategy to put maximum pressure on Tesla, hoping that they would cave on Mobileye's demands that Tesla stop their own in-house software vision development program.

Well, at least it seems that Panasonic was paying attention back in July 2016 when an outside supplier tried to force Elon's hand. Mobileye will lose badly on this gambit over the coming years. Elon might not even have pushed so hard for FSD if not for them. And now that Tesla is a chipmaker/designer with an exciting product roadmap, Mobileye doesn't seem to have any advantages at all. Certainly Tesla isn't giving them any data from AP1 cars to train a NN.

Game. Set. Match.

Cheers!

I wonder if they could run a utility that read the signs and uploaded the data to a database, and if multiple Teslas confirmed the same information then they could update the database that is deployed to cars to get around a direct usage of the speed limit signs in the car.
This seems like low-hanging fruit for any 'citizen-scientists' out there that also own an AP1 enabled Tesla Model S. Just hang a 'modified' sign and drive past. If the on-board display shows a change in spd limit its reading the signs. If it don't, it isn't.

The scientific method escapes 99.999% of the population, Tesla owners included. So easy to do your own tests. :oops:

Cheers!

But AP1 performance didn't drop. Though AP2 performance was crap and took a long time to catch-up.
Dunno. I don't own an AP1 Model S, didn't live through the updates, so I don't know the inside story, just what I read here on TMC. I'll take the word of @MP3Mike though, as a Member who has followed this issue closely.

There were definitely some ups and downs with AP1 after the Mobileye divorce, for instance per this Sep 2018 TMC thread:

"I think the most common opinion is "no more significant updates."

"AP1 owners have noted improvements (and regressions) on control systems over the past couple years. So evidence points that there is still some overlap in parts of AP on both systems and changes in one affect the other for now. As AP2 evolves, its reasonable to assume this overlap lowers and AP1 starts getting ignored more and more."​

Cheers!

It's mainly info gleaned from the overall drop in performance of AP1 after the divorce, and the time it took Tesla to achieve parity with the previous Mobileye-only solution. So lots of reading between the lines, mostly because the whole program is a closely held secret.

This Sep 15, 2016 article from the LA Times is pretty revealing, though:

"Tesla Motors and parts supplier Mobileye broke up in July. Now the two sides are dissing each other with wildly different takes on what caused the split.

But Tesla says that wasn’t the reason for the companies’ split. A spokeswoman for the automaker told The Times on Thursday afternoon that the reason Mobileye was mad is because Tesla was developing a video-processing system of its own. When Mobileye found out, it “attempted to force Tesla to discontinue this development, pay them more, and use their products in future hardware,” the spokeswoman said.

When Tesla refused, she said, Mobileye “discontinued hardware support for future platforms and released public statements implying that this discontinuance was motivated by safety concerns.” At the time, Mobileye said it would end its relationship with Tesla when its current contract ran out."​

So my inpression is that when Mobileye discontinued support for AP1, that meant they would nolonger provide software/firmware updates for AP1. This was part of their business strategy to put maximum pressure on Tesla, hoping that they would cave on Mobileye's demands that Tesla stop their own in-house software vision development program.

Well, at least it seems that Panasonic was paying attention back in July 2016 when an outside supplier tried to force Elon's hand. Mobileye will lose badly on this gambit over the coming years. Elon might not even have pushed so hard for FSD if not for them. And now that Tesla is a chipmaker/designer with an exciting product roadmap, Mobileye doesn't seem to have any advantages at all. Certainly Tesla isn't giving them any data from AP1 cars to train a NN.

Game. Set. Match.

Cheers!

I think you’re mixing things up a little. The original plan was for AP2 to also have the MobilEye chip, using that for basic AP1-level features until they could get EAP working(which is why they original thought they could get those by December 2016). Instead, MobilEye bailed entirely, leaving them to start over from scratch, and is why(in addition to a poorly chosen but big name hire put in charge of the program) performance of AP2 was crap until ~March 2018. They basically had to write emulation of all AP1 features first before really being able to start EAP stuff.

You’re probably right that MobilEye isn’t giving any software updates for AP1, but I don’t believe they can or have taken existing features away from those cars.

Why the camouflage of it's two regular Model 3's?
Well, the src of that 'camo 3' pic finally shows up in Google image search. It's from Jay in Shangai

Yup. The same Twitter user that posted the fake '1st Model 3 made in China' tweet yesterday. That was fun for a day. At least if you njoy pranking InsideEVs.com

Note that it was twitter user @BarkMSmeagol (a known parody account) that implanted the 'longer wheel base' suggestion, not Jay.

Bark‏ @BarkMSmeagol

Replying to @JayinShanghai
Camo to hide a longer wheel base? (One can dream)

9:49 AM - 29 Aug 2019​

So just remember that @anthonyj likes to repost *sugar* he finds on twitter for lolz but he never includes a link. That ruinz the phun.

TL;dr When rumours run rampant, consider the source.

Last edited:
Why the camouflage of it's two regular Model 3's?
Some people think they are camouflaged to hide a new paint color... which doesn't make sense considering that companies only camo test mules that are using a new body. The camo is there to hide the shape. Color doesn't matter. So it's either a long wheelbase 3 (most likely) or a new performance 3 with wider fenders (less likely)

Reactions: CorneliusXX