Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not me; I honestly didn't call that they'd be making a special track edition. I figured they'd just put on some track tires on an otherwise stock Model S, say, "Hey, it's more stock than the Porsche", edge out its time by a bit, and call it done. I had no idea that their plans were this ambitious :)

As you suggested it is a good idea to also run a regular P100D.

P100D+ will cost at least another 20-30K IMO and have a fair bit in common with the Roadster... that is apparent and it makes sense....

I think the existing Model S/X 2 motor variants will remain for a long time as a more affordable option.. Many people would want a P100D+ will know they probably can't afford it, those that can afford it, may not buy a Taycan or will buy both.. Those that can afford a Taycan and/or a P100D+ are a small segment of the market. And I'm not one of them :)

But the marketing effect of 3 X Plaid Halo cars that are faster and more advanced, will help sell a lot of more affordable Teslas, that is the main aim...

A secondary aim is other competitors are forced to compete against a high bar, EVs will rapidly become superior to ICE in every aspect. That helps the Tesla business and it helps the Tesla mission....

What is more interesting is how the P100D+ will be made...I guess that is taking a year but Roadster will be out soon after.

Looks like the Model S (or better: at least one of the two Model Ss) spotted near Nürburgring is a P100D+ prototype. Compare this car from insideevs article Highly Modified Tesla Model S P100D+ Spotted Testing Near Nurburgring to this posted on instagram via reddit: Prototype P100D+ : teslamotors Seems to be the same car. Also, the latter one appears to be in Germany (sign Vollbremsung) but has CA license plate.

Update: Ok, found the original source of the instagram pic: Tesla Model S spied prepping for Nurburgring lap attempt That confirms it is at Nürburgring.

"Yes. To be clear, Plaid powertrain is about a year away from production & applies to S,X & Roadster, but not 3 or Y. Will cost more than our current offerings, but less than competitors."

Hmmm, so not available on Tesla's current and most capable platform, but will be on a 7 and 5 year old platform and a future one not released yet?

You are confusing powertrain revision with chassis revision: saying that the S is a 7 years old platform is like saying that the Porsche 911 is a 55 years old platform - it isn't.

The "Plaid" 3-motor design is a new powertrain iteration, which Tesla is iterating much faster - the last version (2 motor Raven) has been released just a few months ago.

That the S/X would get the Roadster's 3-motor powertrain was mentioned by Elon before, we just didn't know the timing.

Last edited:
From peoples' comments, I guess most of you are all fine with Tesla apparently conceding "Taycan is a better track car than any Tesla you can get for the next year, and that's assuming that there's no schedule slips and no improvement by anyone else in the meantime". E.g., just abandoning the "we make the best EVs, period" halo effect. Also, apparently, fine with reinforcing the (false) notion that's already been hurting S and X sales, that the current (Raven) S and X are dated cars with overheating problems. Also no interest in doing anything to boost S and X sales in the near term so that they can add more shifts and get better utilization out of their existing capital investments.

Okay, so you're fine with that. I'm not. But the crowd has clearly spoken.
Wow.

It would be nice if Tesla could slap some Pilot Sport Cup 2s and track pads on a Raven S and smoke the Taycan, but we're talking about a 7 year old chassis and pack which was never designed for that kind of course in the first place. Worse, Tesla almost completely neglected the S/X platform for 3 years. And despite your disdain, Porsche does actually know a thing or two about high speed road racing. Especially at Nurburgring. They spent years engineering and testing the Taycan to do well there, and despite some problems (e.g. battery supplier falling short on promised C rate), their work at the track shows.

Tesla can either stick to 0-60 and forget about road tracks, or they can take Porsche on. They seem to be choosing the latter, which will be great for both companies and EVs in general. But it's going to take a lot of work, and a lot more than just tires and pads. New chassis and power train is a good start. I definitely expect a new (and long overdue) battery pack with cooling that exceeds Model 3. S/X are the flagships, for crying out loud, it's embarrassing for them to be outclassed by the entry level model. I also expect the "Nurburgring edition" to have considerable aerodynamic mods as well as the obvious upgrades to wheels, brakes and tires.

Hopefully the car which makes the actual record run will have roll cage, full harness, etc. It's not a course that forgives fools.

It doesn't need another motor - it's already faster than the Porsche Taycan fer crying out loud! All it needs is brakes, tires, stiffer springs, more damping and beefed up cooling to handle extended track usage.

Probably cost $20K more. Unless they want to turn it into a real profit center, then they'll tack on 30K.

If it has got 3 motors the main benefit is better handling by giving track mode 3 motors to play with,.. acceleration, steering and regen...

If there are 3 motors my hunch is they are all PMSR, and over heating is a total non-issue...

When the Roadster came out with 3 motors that is what I expect all higher performance track cars to have.

When Rivian and the Tesla semi came out with 4 motors that is what many work trucks or off road vehicles may eventually have.
A 3 motor Model X is a slight compromise....

1-2 motors is fine for regular driving, track and off-road are special cases...

Hopefully the car which makes the actual record run will have roll cage, full harness, etc.

It has a roll cage and racing harness, according to the spy shots of Tesla's racing team near Nürburgring.

It's not a course that forgives fools.

Elon's tweet yesterday makes it clear that they are taking safety seriously.

If it has got 3 motors the main benefit is better handling by giving track mode 3 motors to play with,.. acceleration, steering and regen...

If there are 3 motors my hunch is they are all PMSR, and over heating is a total non-issue...

When the Roadster came out with 3 motors that is what I expect all higher performance track cars to have.

When Rivian and the Tesla semi came out with 4 motors that is what many work trucks or off road vehicles may eventually have.
A 3 motor Model X is a slight compromise....

1-2 motors is fine for regular driving, track and off-road are special cases...
Nah, I don't think it would be 3 PMSR.

It would be either
1. Front Induction + Rear PMSR
or
2. Front PMSR + Rear Induction
for efficiency sake.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
With respect to the "Tesla doom/bankcruptcy" angle I heard a new one recently: "Tesla isn't in this for the long term." The basis for this is Elon Musk's stated goal of acting as a catalyst to get the legacy automotive companies to start making EVs. So you shouldn't buy Tesla (I'm not sure if that was supposed to be the stock, the car, or both) because Elon isn't planning on his company staying around. Its the legacy makers that are here to stay, Tesla is just a flash in the pan.

Umm... Wow.
I don't think this is an immediate concern as the reasons he started Tesla continue to exist. Towards the end of the Joe Rogan podcast you could hear is concern that the transition to solar/storage/ev was not happening fast enough.

That said, I must admit this does have a small level of concern for me in 5+ years if he believes the transition is happening at the correct speed (e.g. if the green new deal is passed and well into being implemented).

The reason I say that is because I think Elon's true love is space. If selling his stake in Tesla allows him to rapidly expand the research required to set up a colony on Mars, I'm sure he would consider it.

Additionally, at that point in time it wouldn't be a problem anyway. The share price will be gigantic and we will be wealthy, all the brilliant grads that have joined in the last few years will be in their prime - providing excellent leadership, there will be a full suite of wonderful products for sale, etc.

Tesla also wouldn't disappear, the brand will be worth too much.

Reactions: humbaba
Nah, I don't think it would be 3 PMSR.

It would be either
1. Front Induction + Rear PMSR
or
2. Front PMSR + Rear Induction

Actually front small induction and rear 2 X PMSR also makes sense...

I had a previous discussion where the main advantage of induction was that the motor could coast... on a track it is mostly acceleration or regen, not much coasting.

Will a high performance S and X generate a lot of revenue for Tesla? Seems like a fairly niche market except for bragging rights.

It sells the mission for sure, but not sure how it translates to TSLA share price.
Model S/X are targeting different audience, audience that have $ to burn. Also this mean something "new" is coming instead of "no refresh"

From peoples' comments, I guess most of you are all fine with Tesla apparently conceding "Taycan is a better track car than any Tesla you can get for the next year, and that's assuming that there's no schedule slips and no improvement by anyone else in the meantime". E.g., just abandoning the "we make the best EVs, period" halo effect. Also, apparently, fine with reinforcing the (false) notion that's already been hurting S and X sales, that the current (Raven) S and X are dated cars with overheating problems. Also no interest in doing anything to boost S and X sales in the near term so that they can add more shifts and get better utilization out of their existing capital investments.

Okay, so you're fine with that. I'm not. But the crowd has clearly spoken.

Don't agree - Model S is way better than, say Taycan, in every measurable parameter except (maybe we don't know), track performance and interior quality (not design, but choice of materials and build quality).

Although I'd probably like a better handling Model S, I would probably never take it on the track, so although I think it's great for Tesla to put Porsche in their smug-faced-cherry-picking place, it's not my measure of "best" and I'm pretty certain for 99.9% of other buyers out there.

RBC Capital analyst Joseph Spak reiterated an Underperform rating and $190.00 price target on Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) after hosting an investor meeting with investor relations and taking a tour of Gigafactory 1 in Sparks, NV.

As with most IR meetings, this one seemed to offer no new meaningful financial information but the analyst stated "The tour gave us greater appreciation for the complexity and challenges involved in making the “guts” of an electric vehicle. Tesla stressed the improved efficiency from the depths of earlier production issues. For instance, they seemed particularly pleased with the new Grohmann pack assembly line. However, they have also gone to more manual labor on certain elements vs. initial automation plans. It does appear that further efficiency gains are still possible".

September 10, 2019 6:56 AM EDT

What a load of hooydonk!!!