Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who the hell is thinking how Tesla does on the "track" when buying a family sedan? You guys are obsessing too much about this whole thing. The damn car does 2.4 seconds to 60 already! And people are worried about race track performance? I could care less.

I get the whole image thing, but it matters less than people obsessing about this think in relation to track times.

Family sedans don't start at $80k. Even with $10k in potential savings.

Elon Musk knows that there are enough customers that care he is putting Model S on the track.

I'm actually glad in a way that it is confirmed. But, as far as marketing and sales goes, it would have been better to have waited to announce this. There will definitely be a negative impact on S,X sales as result of this tweet.
LOL! Exactly how many short Calls did you write? When do they expire? Be honest now. Sux2b caught short. :p

Here's an anecdote that nicely demonstrates your observation I think.

Regular readers of TMC might remember that weird case in early 2019 when there was someone on Reddit claiming to be a Tesla supplier of high end plastics products for car interiors, posting unhappy messages about having seen her S/X components order volume cut in half and about how hard it is to work with Tesla as a supplier.

As it later on turned out that's exactly what happened in Q1, S/X production volume was cut in half. (She also deleted her messages and her account shortly afterwards.)

As a Tesla supplier it was clear that she was very unhappy, and one of her complaints about Tesla was:

"I’m working on a project right now, I assist with some of the interior colors approved and we are working through an approval right now that’s going to trials with their molder, but that takes a while. Tesla uses mainly subjective measures to approve colors so it’s a lot of back and forth. Last time it took 20 iterations for one black for the side panels."

"I’ve been saying this since they became a customer of mine last year, we deal with other luxury automotive brands, but Tesla is the only one that operates like a consumer electronics company."
She's supplier of plastics granulates, and in 2018 Tesla insisted on 20 iterations to get the color of a black side panel just right ...

That's one of the essences of Tesla I think, they managed to carry over the culture of an obsessive-compulsive Silicon Valley high-end electronics company that for example Apple represents, into the automotive industry, and Elon is at the center of that obsession - just like Steve Jobs was at the center of Apple's focus on artistic design and quality.

Most programmer types are ocd.

I will move on to say japan is OCD squared.

But what I have a beef with. Are psychologists in their ivory tower coining this as a disorder. (sorry, bad memories of an ex who's a phD psychiastrist)

Now this makes some sense... simplify and standardise production lines, same for S / X / new roadster next year.

Troy Teslike on Twitter

View attachment 454062
Any Change has a big impact. So don't see existing M3 lines with goal of achieving 7K/week (almost there) ... being tinkered with.
As with S/X second line the new line might have capability to support both 3 & Y.
Also switching 3 to Y upgrades will be another hubris that Jerome will want to avoid ...

The white noise here this quarter says to me that Tesla have cut down on the leaks. I really have no idea what weekly Model 3 production is right now.

Agreed, and I commented on the curious lack of genuine leaks (of "sources familiar with the matter") and "leaks" (of widely distributed internal emails) about Q3 production and deliveries too:

Tesla's Q3 is also not necessarily in the bag: zero Q3 production and deliveries related leaks so far that I can see, and end of quarter is only 3.5 weeks away ... Even with good deliveries the year-over-year comparison might show a drop in revenues, which the TSLAQ suspects sure will take advantage of.

To recap Q3 market expectations:
  • Guidance for 2019 was 360k-400k total deliveries in 2019 and a sequential increase in Q3: "We are working to increase our deliveries sequentially and annually, with some expected fluctuations from seasonality. This is consistent with our previous guidance of 360,000 to 400,000 vehicle deliveries this year."
    • Q2 total deliveries were 95,200, so that's the minimum to meet,
    • Q1+Q2 total deliveries were 158,200, so the guidance range for the second half of the year is 201,800-241,800 - which assuming an even split between Q3 and Q4 would mean a Q3 guidance of 100,900-120,900 - the higher guidance would control, so I think we can safely assume that hitting 100,000 is a minimum goal required of Tesla.
  • The year-before Q3'2018 was 83,500 deliveries of high ASP units, 55,840 Model 3's and 26,660 Model S/X's.
  • Q2'2019 Model 3 deliveries were 77,550, and Model S/X deliveries were 17,650, so that's a minimum bar to meet as well.
To meet guidance Tesla would have to deliver about 17.6k Model S/X's, and at minimum of 83,250 Model 3's, for a total of at least 100,900 units delivered - but there's probably more than that realized in the price already, based on European deliveries tracking better than Q2 - although U.S. deliveries were tracking worse than Q2.

(Now back to our regularly scheduled programming to discuss track performance and whether announcing a far-out refresh and showing glimpses of nice looking prototypes like every single other carmaker does will hurt sales or increase the buzz around a brand perceived somewhat stale. ;))

Last edited:
Taycan and Model S side by side from same spot angle on Nurburgring...Model S seems to be going significantly faster : teslamotors

What is most interesting is this seems to be a regular P100D not the red P100D+ and it seems to be going about the same pace as the Taycan on an early run...

As mentioned earlier if they can clock a good time in a regular Raven P100D that is great.

Just to dampen enthusiasm a bit: the Taycan's two-speed gearbox trick will help them most in achieving higher speeds in the fast straights, and this video is of a relatively slow corner. So this video is inconclusive, it at best is showing that the Raven has a chance to measure up to the Taycan.

But to be honest I'd be shocked if one of Porsche's tear-down engineering firms didn't carefully benchmark and run a simulated Nürburgring run with the Raven (yes, there are software tools for that), before deciding to make Nürburgring track performance the cornerstone of their marketing strategy.

So my baseline expectation for Raven Model S Nürburgring track performance would be a lap time somewhere between the Taycan's 7:42 and 7:59.

If it's 8:xx or 9:xx then I doubt Tesla is going to post the result, but might post a Plaid result instead.

Most programmer types are ocd.

While that's true as a very crude stereotype it's also a requirement of good programmers to have an almost obsessive attention to details, because computers and programming environments are very unforgiving if you make average-human mistakes.

But it's rare to see programmers/engineers with the artistic design and business skills comparable to Steve Jobs or Elon Musk. Just look at the UI of pretty much every major software project in existence: it was either designed by non-programmers, or it sucks. :D

More importantly, Steve Jobs wasn't actually a programmer (or engineer) type, while Elon is. Without sounding overly cultish I cannot really name any other founder-CEO of the past ~40 years who had both a good eye for artistic design and was good at first principles engineering.

Last edited:
One other quick point:

Besides, new powertrain and new chassis, Elon also suggested that the new Model S will have seven seats (option?). Perhaps it's just the test car, but more likely part of the new design. So there is at least some changes coming to the interior also. So putting it all together: new powertrain + new chassis + new interior = major upgrade next year.

Model S had seven seats in the past, I had a Model S with 7 seats in 2014.

"I’ve been saying this since they became a customer of mine last year, we deal with other luxury automotive brands, but Tesla is the only one that operates like a consumer electronics company."
She's supplier of plastics granulates, and in 2018 Tesla insisted on 20 iterations to get the color of a black side panel just right ...

That's one of the essences of Tesla I think, they managed to carry over the culture of an obsessive-compulsive Silicon Valley high-end electronics company that for example Apple represents, into the automotive industry, and Elon is at the center of that obsession - just like Steve Jobs was at the center of Apple's focus on artistic design and quality.

I have definitely heard Apple is another hard ball to play with but their order is so big so supplier just suck it up

Reactions: Fact Checking
Just to dampen enthusiasm a bit: the Taycan's two-speed gearbox trick will help them most in achieving higher speeds in the fast straights, and this video is of a relatively slow corner. So this video is inconclusive, it at best is showing that the Raven has a chance to measure up to the Taycan.

But to be honest I'd be shocked if one of Porsche's tear-down engineering firms didn't carefully benchmark and run a simulated Nürburgring run with the Raven (yes, there are software tools for that), before deciding to make Nürburgring track performance the cornerstone of their marketing strategy.

So my baseline expectation for Raven Model S Nürburgring track performance would be a lap time somewhere between the Taycan's 7:42 and 7:59.

If it's 8:xx or 9:xx then I doubt Tesla is going to post the result, but might post a Plaid result instead.

Yes, I'm not expecting it, but it is worth a try....

I just think track mode evens up cornering, so neither car has an advantage, the Model S has faster initial acceleration, so can get moving faster initially on the straights...

It is also possible that Tesla can do a few minor tweaks to improve the Raven....

I agree it will only be posted if close to or better than the Taycan time.

Reactions: humbaba
I think the Taycan Nürburgring challenge was a blessing in disguise for model S which was suffering a bit from identity crisis after the excellent design of model 3. The race track performance discussion and conclusions (ie Tesla winning the segment), will add the much needed exclusivity element as a complete sports car vs just pure straight line performer.

So far people were underestimating Tesla technology by limiting to the point that oh, electric motors have great torque so it is obvious why they have better 0-60; while ignoring the point that electric motors (specially say 3 motor configuration) can better turn, accelerate, break, and also adjust / configured dynamically with changing track conditions.

For example, in a formula one car there are plenty of considerations about a “wet” set up like adjusting torque, gear shifts limits, suspension, ride heights, etc, that Tesla can not only do but do in an integrated (optimized set up) way. Porsche very recently introduced “wet mode” for their 911 line up. I would say that Tesla likely already adjusts to changing condition so technically doesn’t need a “mode”, but can highlight these advantages more.

So 39.74m TSLA shares shorted was the 8/30 figure, and Ihor Dusaniwsky's closest short interest figure was 39.90m TSLA shares shorted one day before that, on 8/29:

That's pretty impressively accurate, given that the NASDAQ figures update once a month, so whatever algorithm Ihor is using has the highest inaccuracy right before the official report. I did point out in the past when Ihor's short interest guesses were off, and I regularly double check the track record of his methodology.

I'd also like to note that if Ihor had anything to hide about his firm's methodology, he'd likely avoid reporting his guesses right before the official report's settlement date, which makes it easy to double check and falsify.

So if Ihor says that the last two weeks wasn't short covering that's probably an honest opinion based on data, and let's not attack the messenger over that ...

BTW., this also means that most of the shorts missed the dip from ~$250 levels to $180 levels and squandered ~$2.8b profits by not covering, waiting for TSLA to hit $0 I suppose? :D
OK, some critical thoughts on this figures. First, are they accurate? Maybe, but even then, secondly, this does not reflect total short positions, including derivatives and so on. Third, for sure the shorts waiting to 180 levels were some retail bag holders which jumped in when the SP was already low, while the big ones unloaded and probably shorted again at higher levels. Smart money, you know.

My takeaway: I believe big shorts are rational too. Should they see that their position becomes hopeless, they won't run to Igor and tell him "let anybody now we are covering, so they let us shares cheap". Also they do not go into the open market and place big orders. But they probably start buying decent calls and exercise them at a certain point, while let believing everyone that they hold their position.

Short covering of a big position is not something which starts at a given up day, and it is also not something which needs necessarily be reflected in Igor's data. But his data is still helpful, for example the borrowing rate is somewhat telling and I like to watch him for giving contrarian signals between the lines.

In summary, it might well be that short covering has already started under the surface, but the data are not showing it yet, including Igor's. I don't expect him to show that in a meaningful and timely way, but he provides some useful data points if taken with some grains of salt.

Honestly, what is it with the cow catcher grille aesthetic (Pilot (locomotive) - Wikipedia)? Reminds me of the transition from steam to diesel locomotives. Cow catchers were on the losing vehicle technology then too. :confused:
Where we're going, we don't need cows... :D

Timetrain.jpg

So 39.74m TSLA shares shorted was the 8/30 figure, and Ihor Dusaniwsky's closest short interest figure was 39.90m TSLA shares shorted one day before that, on 8/29:

That's pretty impressively accurate, given that the NASDAQ figures update once a month, so whatever algorithm Ihor is using has the highest inaccuracy right before the official report. I did point out in the past when Ihor's short interest guesses were off, and I regularly double check the track record of his methodology.

I'd also like to note that if Ihor had anything to hide about his firm's methodology, he'd likely avoid reporting his guesses right before the official report's settlement date, which makes it easy to double check and falsify.

So if Ihor says that the last two weeks wasn't short covering that's probably an honest opinion based on data, and let's not attack the messenger over that ...

BTW., this also means that most of the shorts missed the dip from ~$250 levels to $180 levels and squandered ~$2.8b profits by not covering, waiting for TSLA to hit $0 I suppose? :D

That was my point the other day. People talk about shorts being in "profit", well would be fine if they closed their positions...

However, just thinking about it a bit. I guess a short position from, say $350, could have been closed at $180, then a new short position initiated at $180 for the same, or double the number of shares...? So profits could be taken, but the short interest would remain the same, or even increase. If it was don't carefully over a number of days, the buy and sell orders would cancel out ay SP major SP movement.

Max Pain currently $240 - which is a damn sight better than recent weeks. Could see a rise in that during the day as the Nikkei traded to 4 month highs on the back of (sigh) trade-war conciliatory noises plus ECB reducing interest rates (-0.4% to -0.5%) and starting quantitative-easing (€20b of debt to be purchased)

And Nasdaq futures currently up 0.29%

upload_2019-9-13_9-50-20.png