Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But to be honest I'd be shocked if one of Porsche's tear-down engineering firms didn't carefully benchmark and run a simulated Nürburgring run with the Raven (yes, there are software tools for that), before deciding to make Nürburgring track performance the cornerstone of their marketing strategy.

Would have been pretty difficult to do, given that Raven was only even announced at the end of May. :)

Last edited:
I think the Taycan Nürburgring challenge was a blessing in disguise for model S

People need to stop with this. This was not a Taycan challenge. Tesla was working on their Plaid drivetrain/chassis and it was time to test/tune it at the track. There has never been mention from Elon/Tesla that this is a challenge or that they are specifically trying to beat the Taycan.

But you made the opposite claim a few months ago and was highly critical of Fred/Electrek for the upgrade rumors and how it was osborning S,X sales. But now that Elon/Tesla has let the cat out of the bag, it is okay? That is a bit inconsistent.

I was primarily criticizing Fred for irresponsibly leaking what appeared to be confidential Tesla plans about an "imminent" interior refresh, and lending his credibility and the popularity of Electrek to those anonymous leaks, which leak also turned out to be wrong.

An expected refresh in ~2 months will Osborne sales of the current offerings, and there's no upside.

Tesla and Elon on the other hand teased an exciting next-generation product that they plan to release in ~12 months, and which will be significantly more expensive.

It might Osborne current sales to a certain degree, but on the plus side there's a lot of excitement about the Plaid prototype in the Tesla community and the rumblings about the neglect of the Model S and outright discontinuation of the Model S that some fans argued even here are 100% gone.

So the two situations are very different and there's no inconsistency in my arguments.

Now this makes some sense... simplify and standardise production lines, same for S / X / new roadster next year.

Troy Teslike on Twitter

View attachment 454062

What he is suggesting makes sense but very expensive. And if you move to the new line what about the old tooling from the other lines?

Making the same production improvements to the 3 that is on the Y makes sense (less wiring, one piece rear floor pan) and should improve profit margin on the 3.

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Would have been pretty difficult to do, given that Raven was only even announced at the end of May. :)

I think Porsche's decision to emphasize the Nürburgring result was a late summer one, by which time I suspect the latest teardown of the Raven was already available to all divisions of the Volkswagen Group.

Their decision to design for track performance was probably done years ago.

But yeah, maybe I'm overestimating Porsche's PR strategy. :D

"vastly superior fit and finish and promise to offer full performance until the batteries are drained—Teslas go into limp-home mode quickly when pressed to the limit."

Separately Ford is blasted for lack of product freshness and technical innovation.

2019 Frankfurt Motor Show: Hits, Misses, Revelations

this is so frustrating. Tesla fit and finish is excellent. i'm super sick of journalists acting like they are built like crap. it's a straight up lie that gets repeated unchallenged absolutely constantly.

furthermore that sentence about "limp home" mode is 100% inaccurate too. "limp home" mode is an ICE vehicle thing that reduces the number of cylinders in use when there is a serious engine failure. No Tesla goes into such a mode when "pushed to the limits". Older Teslas in track situations pull power for a couple minutes while the motors cool down. Newer Teslas don't even do that. so much misinformation just floating around as accepted fact.

Last edited:
furthermore that sentence about "limp home" mode is 100% inaccurate too. "limp home" mode is an ICE vehicle thing that reduces the number of cylinders in use when there is a serious engine failure. No Tesla goes into such a mode when "pushed to the limits". Older Teslas in track situations pull power for a couple minutes while the motors cool down. it's not "limp home". Newer Teslas don't even do that. so much misinformation just floating around as accepted fact.

Which is why it's so critical that Tesla race a regular Raven (in addition to the prototype) to bust this myth. It's extremely widespread, and it hurts sales.

Per Electrek-

Tesla patents new longer lasting battery with better performance and cheaper cost

"Tesla is making a lot of moves in the battery space lately and now it has added a patent for a new longer-lasting battery cell with better performance and cheaper cost.

Last week, we reported on Tesla’s battery research partner, Jeff Dahn and his team at the Dalhousie University, unveiling the impressive results of tests on a new battery cell that could last over 1 million miles in an electric vehicle.

The new battery tested is a Li-Ion battery cell with a next-generation “single crystal” NMC cathode and a new advanced electrolyte.

Now Tesla has filed for a new patent on which Jeff Dahn and his team are listed as inventors and it’s for a new battery cell that sounds a lot like what was tested in the other research."

97% of all statisics found in discussions on the internet are fictitious.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f0/ed/02/f0ed023af7a0d21fd5da18c06eab8db3.gif

One of my favorite academic discourses on the subject:

EDIT: Thx to @Artful Dodger for the phrase “Gish Gallup”, debate technique of overwhelming an opponent with multiple rapid fire arguments of no particular merit, with no time to respond to them all. Which led me to Brandolini’s Law, aka the Bullshit Asymmetry Principle, that the amount of energy needed to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude bigger than that to produce it.

Altogether a fine morning, what with SP holding so far ...

Last edited:
When can I buy the t-shirt?
Not the same image but similar theme. I've had this shirt for years now (only with a Model X on it) and amazing how many people don't get it. Model 3 Evolve By Mad Hungarian Products from Mad Hungarian's EVOLVEwear | Teespring
560.jpg

Per Electrek-

Tesla patents new longer lasting battery with better performance and cheaper cost

"Tesla is making a lot of moves in the battery space lately and now it has added a patent for a new longer-lasting battery cell with better performance and cheaper cost.

Last week, we reported on Tesla’s battery research partner, Jeff Dahn and his team at the Dalhousie University, unveiling the impressive results of tests on a new battery cell that could last over 1 million miles in an electric vehicle.

The new battery tested is a Li-Ion battery cell with a next-generation “single crystal” NMC cathode and a new advanced electrolyte.

Now Tesla has filed for a new patent on which Jeff Dahn and his team are listed as inventors and it’s for a new battery cell that sounds a lot like what was tested in the other research."

patents do not impress me. revolutionary battery patents are applied for on an hourly basis by all kinds of companies and organizations. let me know when it's in a car that is going to production.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and madodel