Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WAY to many details missing from this report

Size
2170 or 18650???
composition:
actually the article does state it is NOT the same as the one made for tesla

FTFY headline
"Toyota chooses cylindrical cells instead of pouch: Industry learning from Teslas lead"

Sorry, what rumor?

The rumor that MS/MX are moving to 2170 cells, and so wouldn't need 18650s anymore. I didn't have time to write about it earlier because I had to hop into a meeting, but I think 204EV's post (above) explains pretty well how this isn't the correct inference to be made from this article.

Thanks, 204EV!

• Helpful
Reactions: humbaba and 204EV
Please. If Tesla was obsessive-compulsive it would show across the board throughout the company, meaning even their service and customer communications would be the marvel of the industry. Instead, today’s 6:30-8:30am “appointment” for service (the only time slot the Tesla app would give me for ALL of September) is now past, and I’m still sitting here in the car in the driveway like a chump, waiting for the late mobile tech to show.
I don't know man, even a late mobile tech is way above the rest of the industry, right?
Small market, but Japan just started Model 3 RHD delivery. Performance, and cash payment seems to be prioritized. I got one!
Will post useful info as I find them...
We will see you in 5 days when you get tired or flooring it. ;)

Small market, but Japan just started Model 3 RHD delivery. Performance, and cash payment seems to be prioritized. I got one!
Will post useful info as I find them...

With the launch of the Model 3, we've seen some historically small markets - such as Australia - growing by surprisingly large amounts. Do you think there's any chance of that happening in Japan, or do you expect it to remain a comparatively small market? My understanding is that a big hindrance to Tesla there has always been that the cars are large enough to be unwieldy on Japan's tight roads and parking spaces.

(2005-nen ni Nihon ni yukimashita - utsukushi kuni no des! :) ) (Sorry, I don't have a Japanese keyboard extension on this computer!)

Reactions: hiroshiy
furthermore that sentence about "limp home" mode is 100% inaccurate too. "limp home" mode is an ICE vehicle thing that reduces the number of cylinders in use when there is a serious engine failure

Just to add to this comment related to ICE regrettable technology.... Some HD motorcycles were sold with an emergency mode called “skip spark”. When over heating, the fuel injection system will skip the ignition spark. What happens is that vaporized fuel will be injected into some cylinders but never ignited. The vaporized fuel will absorb heat from the cylinder to cool the engine.

I am not sure how this has evolved given emissions standards today but just an example of the many problems with ICE technology.

this is so frustrating. Tesla fit and finish is excellent. i'm super sick of journalists acting like they are built like crap. it's a straight up lie that gets repeated unchallenged absolutely constantly.

furthermore that sentence about "limp home" mode is 100% inaccurate too. "limp home" mode is an ICE vehicle thing that reduces the number of cylinders in use when there is a serious engine failure. No Tesla goes into such a mode when "pushed to the limits". Older Teslas in track situations pull power for a couple minutes while the motors cool down. Newer Teslas don't even do that. so much misinformation just floating around as accepted fact.
Yup. Even pre-track mode when I hammered my P3D hard it would pull back power by about 20%. Sure, I wasn't passing the same cars, but I couldn't describe that as "limping".

• Informative
Reactions: kbM3 and humbaba
With the launch of the Model 3, we've seen some historically small markets - such as Australia - growing by surprisingly large amounts. Do you think there's any chance of that happening in Japan, or do you expect it to remain a comparatively small market? My understanding is that a big hindrance to Tesla there has always been that the cars are large enough to be unwieldy on Japan's tight roads and parking spaces.

(2005-nen ni Nihon ni yukimashita - utsukushi kuni no des! :) ) (Sorry, I don't have a Japanese keyboard extension on this computer!)
Drove in Japan last time while there, Japan is definitely not known for having wide road, gonna be tough but should still sell way better than S/X.

Drove in Japan last time while there, Japan is definitely not known for having wide road, gonna be tough but should still sell way better than S/X.
I don't think the Model 3 is any wider than the common Japanese performance style vehicles. GTRs, supras, skylines etc. Maybe slightly wider than an STI or Lancer.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I don't think the Model 3 is any wider than the common Japanese performance style vehicles. GTRs, supras, skylines etc. Maybe slightly wider than an STI or Lancer.

While back there was a video of M3's fitting properly in tight mechanical parking slots with elevators (in Japan) ... so i think Japan requirements have been taken into consideration for M3. cheers!!

Speculation: Why did Elon feel the need to add “... to carry seven people “ to the tweet about the prototype P100D+ having 7 seats? Could he mean 7 adults? What if the two rear motors are located far enough to the sides that it allows a ‘tunnel’ in the center like the Taycan? That might give enough legroom for true third row seating...

Speculation: Why did Elon feel the need to add “... to carry seven people “ to the tweet about the prototype P100D+ having 7 seats? Could he mean 7 adults? What if the two rear motors are located far enough to the sides that it allows a ‘tunnel’ in the center like the Taycan? That might give enough legroom for true third row seating...

I think it's just what the original "donor" car had in it. It was originally a buy-back (a 2017 model).

I think it's just a way to point out that it is a passenger car that is going to beat, or come close to the Porsche. You never know though, Tesla is pretty good about making space.

Reactions: wipster
WAY to many details missing from this report

Size
2170 or 18650???
composition:
actually the article does state it is NOT the same as the one made for tesla

FTFY headline
"Toyota chooses cylindrical cells instead of pouch: Industry learning from Teslas lead"

Companies that use pouch cells are looking for trouble down the road. Pouch cells can save a little bit weight, but they tend to generate gas after repeated charging (cylindrical cells can release gas). Also they are not as strong as cylindrical cells. Tesla already did all the research and showed them what works. I don't understand why many companies still pick the wrong path.

In general, 2170 is a better size than 1865 for EVs. I don't know why Tesla chose 2170 instead of 2180 or 2190. 2190 battery is 20mm taller, could increase capacity by ~32%. These two batteries can be produced at the same speed, that means production efficiency in terms of GWh could increase a lot. Also, larger batteries will be cheaper per kWh. The drawback for 2190 is slightly higher internal resistance.

Because of course you speak Japanese.