Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, and apparently this can only happen if you order and your configuration is not available until the end of the quarter, but there's a close match in inventory.

Given that these are all high margin options, the actual extra cost of goods expense to Tesla is minimal.

The time based free supercharging incentive is nice, it's IMHO better than the 2,000 miles free supercharging perk which has a value of maybe $100?

My six months of free supercharging (which was inexplicably extended three months) was better than a fixed quantity and for someone who really drives it would be even better. I just crossed over 10,000 miles and have two days left. Since free supercharging isn't tracked (at least for the owner) I can't say for sure how many miles of charging I've gotten out of it, but I figure its at least half, and likely quite a bit more (my daily commute is a mere 10 miles so that only accounts for about 20%).

Still, 2,000 miles is a sizable fraction. I calculate about $130 based on M3 efficiency and the $0.28/kWh pricing.

Reactions: Fact Checking
I’m at the gym just thinking to myself how Tesla came out of nowhere and took a dump on BMW/Audi/Mercedes. Their lower end sales are hurting due to the Model 3. Nothing that they can do but watch lol! Nothing! They can spend huge money and develop an EV, by that time it’s obsolete, overpriced, and NO ONE WILL WANT IT BECAUSE IT’S NOT A TESLA.

I am a car guy, 26 years old, I’ve had a 370z, 435i, 640i, BMW i3, 2 Porsche Macans, Mercedes AMG 43, and some other non lux cars, all bought brand new and always had buyers remorse after a couple months. My CPO P85D... nothing compares. AP1 is flocking amazing, updates are great, handles amazingly, never fails to put a smile on my face... never have to go to a smelly gas station again. It’s over folks. Everything else is a piece of *sugar*. No doubt in my mind. And to think Tesla can do all of this without marketing...

Do you even lift, bro?

Since free supercharging isn't tracked (at least for the owner)

It sure is. It's on the history tab of your Tesla account. Granted, it's not summed up for you, but you can add the kWh from each session.

Screenshot_20190913-181134.png

One thing that really excites me is Tesla’s new battery development. There is a trifecta of improvements coming in the next year(s)

1. New chemistry with increased performance, longevity and cost
2. Maxwell dry electrode with increased energy density and production speed and costs
3. Tesla cell production with a target of 2TWh/y and Grohmann improvements with increased production and cost savings

I don’t think many in the industri are realizing what a big change this is compared to Teslas incredible growth from Roadster to Model 3. Before they were small and had to use industry standard technology and were fighting to get it competitive with fossil fuel. Now they have grown into a large company, have had the time to get experience, time to invest into research and have done some major acquisitions. And it all lines up to this next phase for the company.

We will see semis going nonstop for years without needing battery replacements. We will see electric boats and airplanes being viable due to density and costs. We will see cheaper better electric vehicles. We will see many other markets being enabled due to the cheaper better batteries. It’s a game changer for the entire industry. And everyone seems to believe that Tesla is still Tesla 2012 but with a cheaper mass market car. They don’t see this next disruptive combination of improvements right around the corner.

Last edited:
It sure is. It's on the history tab of your Tesla account. Granted, it's not summed up for you, but you can add the kWh from each session.

View attachment 454438
I've just poked around on both the interwebs and the app, and I can't find anything like what you posted. How do you get to it?

View attachment 454438
No it isn't. At first it didn't say anything about supercharging. Now at least it tells me when it expires. In the car it always says there are no prior super charging sessions and in my account it only says when it ends. I've checked in the car every time I've supercharged and just now verified in the account.

SoylentBrown on Twitter

View attachment 454460

That's.... really freaking clever.

(Seriously, if you're on Twitter and you don't follow this SoylentBrown guy, you should be heading over and doing so right this moment)
I'm pretty sure that's the guy people were quoting for saying Tesla cars are already learning routes as you drive them. I guess you follow him? Is that something he has really said?

I've just poked around on both the interwebs and the app, and I can't find anything like what you posted. How do you get to it?

Url is Tesla SSO – Login

Screenshot_20190913-193814.png

No it isn't. At first it didn't say anything about supercharging. Now at least it tells me when it expires. In the car it always says there are no prior super charging sessions and in my account it only says when it ends. I've checked in the car every time I've supercharged and just now verified in the account.

Weird. Your payment history is empty? Strange that they'd record some free Supercharging and not others.

I'm pretty sure that's the guy people were quoting for saying Tesla cars are already learning routes as you drive them. I guess you follow him? Is that something he has really said?

I don't know what you're talking about. I don't recall ever seeing him talk about Autopilot learning as you drive. As far as I can tell, he's not particularly bullish on FSD.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: humbaba

After logging into Tesla.com you do not see 'history' on the menu? Shows (almost) all my supercharging sessions.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190913-221728.png
    Screenshot_20190913-221728.png
    229.4 KB · Views: 58
SoylentBrown on Twitter

View attachment 454460

That's.... really freaking clever.

(Seriously, if you're on Twitter and you don't follow this SoylentBrown guy, you should be heading over and doing so right this moment)

This confirms it. 4 motors will also have benefit as you can now regen and accelerate at different ratio on each wheels. Creating a perpetual motion machine

This confirms it. 4 motors will also have benefit as you can now regen and accelerate at different ratio on each wheels. Creating a perpetual motion machine

I think you're misunderstanding. This is about torque vectoring: you want one side braking (regen) and the other side accelerating, to torque the vehicle. If you do it right, you can (mostly) leave the battery pack out of the picture, and thus not introduce any losses or waste heat from charge/discharge.

Also, vs. selectively braking wheels, selectively regenning one side has a lot of big advantages.

Last edited: