Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, the global economy still depends on oil to a large degree, and should high oil prices trigger a recession that won't be super good for Tesla either, because recessions depress new car purchases far more than any other product category.

So there's some logic to the knee-jerk reaction of TSLA following the macro pulse.

But there's one thing that is possibly not realized in TSLA price yet:

That's just slightly up from Q2's 95,200 - so depending on how well the end of quarter push is executed, Tesla could potentially beat those numbers.

Unless, of course, it’s mysteriously, retroactively, pushed much higher after the numbers come out.

Reactions: dc_h
After wiping out $10 billion of shareholder value by offering Elon a blunt...

Anyone who sold as a result of Elon smoking that deserves what they got.

EDIT: also, to add to this, that event really solidified my distrust of a lot of publications for me. Not for reporting on the blunt; I get why it’s salacious. But because several of them tried to goose the Air Force into canceling SpaceX contracts by falsely reporting that they were looking to do so.

Last edited:
OH my god. 1500 vehicles.
I bet there is a dealer in the US, that has more inventory than that.

main-8845-c1da236ff753_large.jpg
There are many dealer ‘chains’ like Koons that have way more stock.

I don't want to take the main thread off course for too long, but the price of oil is relevant to the global economy, never mind demand for EVs in general - and I think these two comments warrant an answer.

The foremost question to ask is what payload is necessary given pinpoint accuracy [which by the way obviously requires informed analysis and controller proficiency]. I propose a scenario where a single pound of "plastic" explosive will do the trick.
Why fly that in from afar? Molotov cocktails were invented and used despite their provenance from outside an armory.

Those are Global Hawks, built in very limited quantities.
The main US arsenal is centered around the significantly smaller but still pretty big Predator-type UAVs.

But when all you need is some pickups or fishing trawlers, some people, and a few pounds of explosives cum relatively short-range delivery systems, possibilities multiply.

Pipeline_thermal.webp

See:
Viper Vantage OGI Gas Leak Detection System
Viper Vantage OGI Gas Leak Detection System • Viper Drones
Software written in USA!

Or somewhat bigger:
Power Line Inspection with the Scout UAV helicopter

Alrighty. It's a scenario specifically tailored to the resource-poor. Like commercial airliners being abducted and flown into buildings.

That's it on this topic from me - thank you for your interest.
The refinery is 50 km from the coast. Unless it can be preprogramed precisely it needs to be in communication with its pilot. Tracking the broadcast location is not difficult. Jamming the signals is not difficult. The longer the distance the greater the travel time the easier to intercept.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
There are many dealer ‘chains’ like Koons that have way more stock.
"It was a wonderful dream," he sighed, "parking lots full of cars stretching as far as the eye could see."

"But what about the sales?" I asked, "Surely there was a high turn over of units?"

"Well," he replied, "We had uncountable stock. And that was what mattered. Once we filled up the parking lots we had to resort to dumping them in the ocean, but that is terribly expensive and its hard to appreciate the view without diving underwater. But the storage capacity could not be beat."

"Still," he reminisced, "it was the parking lots that I liked the best."

When was the first one?
The Iraq/Iran war fits that bill just fine as a proxy war. I'm being generous when I say "war" as I'm also including acts of violence, sabotage, etc. into that. Let's say "conflict" instead.

JR is a hugely popular show, especially with younger audiences, and they'll be hugely influenced by this.

Furthermore, the vast majority of them likely think it's super-cool what Elon did, and they'll be buying Teslas for many years into the future.
His audience is in the prime Tesla demographic, for now at least. The smoking bit was a negative but Rogan now constantly praises his Tesla. I think that interview was a positive thing over the long run.

Anyone who sold as a result of Elon smoking that deserves what they got.

EDIT: also, to add to this, that event really solidified my distrust of a lot of publications for me. Not for reporting on the blunt; I get why it’s salacious. But because several of them tried to goose the Air Force into canceling SpaceX contracts by falsely reporting that they were looking to do so.
I sold to buy more weed! /s

I started adding after the 3 ramp hit 5000 last year. Should have waited longer, but won’t lose sleep over not being a market timer.
Looking like the shorts are working hard this week. Whoever was acquiring or covering last week is taking the day off.

Reactions: madodel
The refinery is 50 km from the coast. Unless it can be preprogramed precisely it needs to be in communication with its pilot. Tracking the broadcast location is not difficult. Jamming the signals is not difficult. The longer the distance the greater the travel time the easier to intercept.

Even cheap consumer-grade drones can follow pre-programmed GPS tracks with pinpoint accuracy.

V10 EAP is a bit of a let down from revenue recognition perspective.

It doesn't include Smart Summon, though that can come in later since it has already been in EAP for sometime.

There is no "recognition of traffic lights and stop lights" that is in the release notes / description from any of the people with EAP.

So - may be we shouldn't expect any extra recognition of deferred revenue in Q3.

Even cheap consumer-grade drones can follow pre-programmed GPS tracks with pinpoint accuracy.

That is what I am thinking too. I don't have any military knowhow at all - but just look what this dude did when the neighbours would not turn down the music:

So a little heavier fireworks. And a little more powerful drone engine.

That is what I am thinking too. I don't have any military knowhow at all - but just look what this dude did when the neighbours would not turn down the music:

So a little heavier fireworks. And a little more powerful drone engine.
Wanted to rate this funny, but thought better of it. Vision loss is not funny. I hope whoever it was was arrested for the attack.

For 50 km with a payload? Any links to such drones?

The navigation system of a cheap consumer drone doesn't need modification (beyond changing a few parameters) to control a larger drone with more range and payload capacity.

Also, I haven't seen confirmation that these were "drones" in the sense we think of vertical take-off drones. They could also have been glider drones launched from a helicopter or whatever. We just don't know. In either case, precision GPS navigation is not beyond the abilities of an organization with a budget measured in a few million dollars or less. It could even be funded using stock or commodities options purchased by proxies designed to take advantage of the shock to oil prices. Don't make the mistake of thinking precision guidance is something that could only be funded by a large military budget measured in billions of dollars.

Last edited:
Those are crazy numbers. I've always heard 540 kg for the original 85 kWh pack. That's consistent with 16 modules of 25 kg each (per EVWest) with 140 kg left over for ladder frame plus miscellaneous.

100 kWh adds 1152 cells for another ~50 kg in the same footprint, so close to 600 kg instead of 790.

Looking from another angle, the 100 kWh pack has 8256 cells that average 46-47g, for a total cell weight of ~380 kg. Then add 410 kg of pack overhead? No way.

This article shows some of the inefficiencies of the Model S pack vs. the Model 3 pack. Plus Model 3 pack contains items not in Model S.
What Makes The Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack So Light?

Model S 100 modules total 480 kg according to @wk057 ‘s site 85-type | Battery Modules | Products | HSR Motors
So all of the pack overhead only has to come to 310 kg. The case is 124 kg, leaving 186 kg for all electronics, wiring, cooling...

I don’t believe Jack Rickard would have made a mistake in his teardown.

What’s really exciting is that the SR pack is supposed to be even better than the LR packs.

This article shows some of the inefficiencies of the Model S pack vs. the Model 3 pack. Plus Model 3 pack contains items not in Model S.
What Makes The Tesla Model 3 Battery Pack So Light?

Model S 100 modules total 480 kg according to @wk057 ‘s site 85-type | Battery Modules | Products | HSR Motors
So all of the pack overhead only has to come to 310 kg. The case is 124 kg, leaving 186 kg for all electronics, wiring, cooling...

I don’t believe Jack Rickard would have made a mistake in his teardown.

What’s really exciting is that the SR pack is supposed to be even better than the LR packs.
Hehe... that insideevs.com article references a TMC Thread I started...