Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This confirms my belief that the distribution of a new security to existing shareholders is a viable way to make shorts cover:

Former Overstock CEO Byrne Dumps $90 Million Stock Gains Into Gold, Crypto "Out Of Reach Of Deep State"

Byrne may be a fruitcake, but he is not a liar. Apparently, the big lenders of shares to shorts (GS,MS &JPM) were so screwed by the imminent distribution that they had to go to the SEC to rescue them. What a country!
Imagine that, market participants asking regulators to prevent blatant market manipulation. What is the world coming to?

I'd personally prefer Musk not pump the stock then dump all his shares and move the proceeds into un-traceable offshore assets before fleeing to a country with no extradition treaty. But reasonable minds can differ, lol.

OT

I noticed that $TSLA finished nicely up, but according to market watch there were >500k shares traded in the last minute. Surely that is an error? It represents more than 10% of the day's activity which doesn't seem plausible. I'm not having any luck with either NASDAQ (can't figure out the interface) or Yahoo (chart won't load).

[edit: okay, found old.nasdaq and its better, but even that indicates >300k shares in the last minute?]

Reactions: UncaNed
OT

I noticed that $TSLA finished nicely up, but according to market watch there were >500k shares traded in the last minute. Surely that is an error? It represents more than 10% of the day's activity which doesn't seem plausible. I'm not having any luck with either NASDAQ (can't figure out the interface) or Yahoo (chart won't load).

[edit: okay, found old.nasdaq and its better, but even that indicates >300k shares in the last minute?]

Here's a link to the old NASDAQ interface Time and Sales - Intraday Stock Last Price History for Tesla, Inc. (TSLA) . Looks like a bunch of trades executed at 4:00:01?

OT

IB also shows >175k shares traded at ~4pm

Reactions: UncaNed
IB also shows >175k shares traded at ~4pm
Market watch died, and once it returned it is showing ~171k shares. NASDAQ is still showing ~352k. That's... a rather large discrepancy. Is this essentially a huge flood of trades that came in at the last second and the exchange had difficulty tracking them?

Market Watch is now showing ~12k shares in after hours so ~330 trades weren't corrected to after hours, they just vanished. It all just seems very strange to me.

• Informative
Reactions: willow_hiller
upload_2019-9-19_16-37-29.png

From Wikipedia: Production Nürburgring lap times.

7:05 would put a 7 seat family sedan ahead of every Ferrari and McLaren EVER sold.

Do you suppose everyone putting down Model S as a one trick pony, that was only a muscle car with good acceleration, but no handling, and would go into “limp mode” before 1 lap, made Elon mad?

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-19_16-37-29.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-19_16-37-29.jpeg
    478.1 KB · Views: 60
Why not?

She just said something about my comments which isn't true.

Earlier she assumed things about Amazon's deal even though she has no information about it.

Before then she said Porsche CEO is lying. Again with no proof.

Please rein in the sugar and the name calling? Please?

Yeah, the moaning over the Rivian-Amazon thing doesn't make sense to me. We don't know whether Rivian's tech will be inferior. We do know that Tesla has their hands full for the next several years with the Y, Semi, Roadster, Plaid S/X, GF3 ramp, GF1 ramp, GF4 site selection/build/ramp, energy storage ramp, PV business ramp, etc.

Will Rivian make 100k Amazon vans by 2024? Will they be inferior to what Tesla could have made instead, for the specific needs of Amazon delivery vans? Who the heck knows? I do know that Tesla wouldn't be able to make them in that timeframe without disrupting their already-ambitious and globally important plans, though, so have at it, Rivian.

Same team, folks.
If Rivian makes 100K BEV vans for Amazon by 2024, that's 100K fewer ICE or hybrid vans that will be made. I really don't see Rivian as competition, I welcome them as part of the team moving towards the goal... the more the better!

Amazon will have greater leverage with Rivian to get exactly what they want from them while Tesla operates based on its own plan/priorities and nobody knows how many years it will take Tesla to get to vans.

It would be a mistake to assume Rivian will be able to offer Amazon the van they want at the price point they want and deliver it when they want it.

Just let Amazon have their Rivian vans, I see no problem to be upset about.

What vans? And I didn't notice anyone getting upset. People are rightfully skeptical the vans will materialize in the number Amazon wants in a reasonable timeframe and work as intended. Rivian has zero track record. It took Tesla roughly 9 years to get from where Rivian is today to where Tesla is currently. Granted, Tesla has pushed EV tech forward in a profound way and Rivian will benefit from that but they still have to develop their production business and that takes time and know-how.

The more companies that try to enter the EV space, the more apparent it will be how profound Tesla's accomplishments are. And they are not stopping here.

Yah, accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

If Tesla had the additional capacity available, I'd petition them to built an electric replacement to the USPS LLV (little white postal trucks).
However, they are pack/ drive unit constrained as it is. Maybe next replacement cycle.
I would love to see that! My area is very constrained in the LLV units and is paying their mail delivery folks to use their own vehicles, which is a bit dangerous as all the mailboxes are on the wrong side of the road for them. Maybe they should just use regular vans built for use in RHD countries in the interim...