Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thoughts re: SpaceX/Starlink:

If Starlink turns into a cash machine... is there anything that could stop Elon from just using SpaceX to buy up Tesla, bit by bit on the open market? Not that they would want to, but could any SpaceX investors stop him if they did?

It's very difficult to buy up a company on the open market, even more difficult if the company has a promising future and the person doing the buying is intimately familiar with the financials and future outlook. Musk would have to disclose his increasing stake (or SpaceX's stake) via SEC filings. The price would shoot through the roof before he could acquire a controlling stake.

That's why buyouts are almost exclusively for a nice premium over the current market price - to avoid the inevitable bid-up. SpaceX investors could certainly stop any attempt by Musk of a SpaceX buyout attempt but I'm not sure why they would want to. Perhaps because individual SpaceX shareholders could by TSLA on the open market if they wanted an increased stake in TSLA. But there would be certain advantages to a private TSLA (it could easily be taken private with a large enough base of agreeable shareholders).

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Infamous Ihor update
upload_2019-9-19_11-29-30.png

Tesla has shown enough at Nürburgring to convince most the market how strong Tesla's forthcoming S will be. While everyone squirms and speculates trying to guess exactly how good Plaid will be, the halo effect will lift Raven, which will receive its own share of speculation.

The smart play is to slowly leak enough details to keep Tesla in the news until the next round of testing, but save the best for last. The Taycan has truly exceeded my wildest expectations, though not in the way that Porsche intended.

Elon must be loving this.

----
And to do my share to keep this thread on topic, I don't see any buys for the 2024 convertibles today, but there was a sell earlier at 102.52, and the current ask is 103.532.

From your article: "Tesla put both its red and blue Model S prototypes on the Nurburgring race track overnight ... And one of the Tesla Model S sedans appears to have a stripped-out interior"

You've spent the entire past day virulent insisting that the red car was stripped, and now you're linking an article that says it's not?

The only thing I said is that the red car has no rear seats.

You are bending the truth just like in many of your comments.

Rivian (when finally available) will offer inferior motors, electronics, bty density, software/updates, charging network/solutions, fleet management integration, autonomus delivery vehicles and safety.

So yes, inferior.

Elon tweeted about buying 'gliders' from Daimler (likely the Sprinter van). He said he'd approach them about the purchase. Nothing public has come of it.

Again, Tesla stands alone at the alter, while others falter.
There was never any way Bezos was going to contribute to Tesla given the rivalry with SpaceX

Rivian (when finally available) will offer inferior motors, electronics, bty density, software/updates, charging network/solutions, fleet management integration, autonomus delivery vehicles and safety.

So yes, inferior.

Elon tweeted about buying 'gliders' from Daimler (likely the Sprinter van). He said he'd approach them about the purchase. Nothing public has come of it.

Again, Tesla stands alone at the alter, while others falter.
There will be MANY EV brands inferior to Tesla, so what? Are you insisting nobody should buy those cars until Tesla ramps up and keep driving ICEs instead?

Amazon will have greater leverage with Rivian to get exactly what they want from them while Tesla operates based on its own plan/priorities and nobody knows how many years it will take Tesla to get to vans.

Just let Amazon have their Rivian vans, I see no problem to be upset about.

Yeah, the moaning over the Rivian-Amazon thing doesn't make sense to me. We don't know whether Rivian's tech will be inferior. We do know that Tesla has their hands full for the next several years with the Y, Semi, Roadster, Plaid S/X, GF3 ramp, GF1 ramp, GF4 site selection/build/ramp, energy storage ramp, PV business ramp, etc.

Will Rivian make 100k Amazon vans by 2024? Will they be inferior to what Tesla could have made instead, for the specific needs of Amazon delivery vans? Who the heck knows? I do know that Tesla wouldn't be able to make them in that timeframe without disrupting their already-ambitious and globally important plans, though, so have at it, Rivian.

Same team, folks.

Last edited:
SpaceX could of course pay a dividend and Musk could use the cash to personally buy Tesla stock. But using SpaceX to buy it would nearly double the buying power.

Don't think any of this is necessary, and SpaceX has good and valuable uses for this cash for the foreseeable future. The threat of Musk borrowing against his rapidly appreciating SpaceX holdings to purchase TSLA shares on the open market should be enough eventually to force the short positions into more discipline.

Yeah, the moaning over the Rivian-Amazon thing doesn't make sense to me. We don't know whether Rivian's tech will be inferior. We do know that Tesla has their hands full for the next several years with the Y, Semi, Roadster, Plaid S/X, GF3 ramp, GF1 ramp, GF4 site selection/build/ramp, Energy storage ramp, PV business ramp, etc.

Will Rivian make 100k Amazon vans by 2024? Will they be inferior to what Tesla could have made instead, for the specific needs of Amazon delivery vans? Who the heck knows? I do know that Tesla wouldn't be able to make them in that timeframe without disrupting their already-ambitious and globally important plans, though, so have at it, Rivian.

Same team, folks.
Yah, accelerate the transition to sustainable energy.

If Tesla had the additional capacity available, I'd petition them to built an electric replacement to the USPS LLV (little white postal trucks).
However, they are pack/ drive unit constrained as it is. Maybe next replacement cycle.

Reactions: wipster