Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The weird thing is that these should be pure TMC hosted images, they are uploaded and attached. :confused:

I'm European too, and I can see the images from other devices as well, even when not logged in to TMC. Weird.

You on the metric system still?
I tell you, ever since that Hubble error...

Tesla has to do so many things right to rally $20, and all it takes is a frivolous lawsuit to
Lose $20 . Very disturbing .

As I tried to outline with the data, it's not the (supposedly - we don't know it for a fact yet) frivolous lawsuit, but the decision of shorts to overwhelm longs, in a low liquidity climate shortly before Q3 results when most bigger longs are probably already positioned for whatever Q3 deliveries they are expecting.

Shorts won a lot of trading power in the post-Q1 drop to $180, and are willing to use it to set the price. It will take more than a rise to $250 to weaken that trading power.

I'd expect another bear raid if Q3 results "disappoint" - and I'd expect there to be a false narrative of "disappointing" deliveries even if they are "pretty OK-ish" slightly beating 97,000 FactSet expectations with say 98,500 deliveries. Anything below 95,200 (Q2's deliveries) will be spun hard against Tesla - even if they increased production and used the extra production capacity to broaden their logistics buffers.

The bears are setting the narrative for now, and it will take several quarters of good financial performance for the narrative to change IMHO. After good Q3 and Q4 results in 2018, Q1 2019 reset the clock unfortunately.

Not advice.

Last edited:
My two cents: today's TSLA trading has all the classic patterns of a TSLA bear raid so far:
  • After triple witching day the derivatives force to set the TSLA stock price got significantly weaker, allowing the marking down (or up) of the price with much lower cost in terms of options market makers resisting against your move.
  • There's been a marked uptick in social media Tesla FUD in recent days, with a well-coordinated selective leak of the plaintiff's side of the story for the Solar City lawsuit. The usual suspects jumped on it with big coordination. The false narrative has all the usual ingredients of the TSLAQ scam: "fraud", "SEC", "Musk" and "bankwuptcy".
  • The NIO (near?) bankruptcy event that is unfolding, and the misleading "Tesla of China" characterization of NIO by the CNBC anchors who were pumping NIO for almost a year added fuel to the fire. I believe many retail shorts saw today's negative narrative as a confirmation of their Tesla bear thesis and wanted to take advantage of the 'high' TSLA prices to short some more.
  • But retail longs are not selling TSLA, as approximated via Robinhood users holding:
  • upload_2019-9-24_20-46-0-png.458546

• As you can see in the rightmost tick that represents today's activity, Robinhood users are actually accumulating into this dip. There was slight selling of TSLA by about ~4% of Robinhood users in the recent rise from $220 levels to $245 levels in the past couple of weeks - but the response to today's dip was to buy. Millennial investors see through online propagated FUD with more skill and more experience than the average Wall Street investor ... For the record, the number of Robinhood TSLA holders is still near record levels.
  • TSLA volume is still relatively low for such a price move, at slightly above the daily average which was low in recent weeks due to the annual summer doldrums, which suggests that institutional investors are probably not selling. (When they are selling they usually do so at once with 2x-3x the daily volume, with much of the volume early in the day - not spread out like it is today.)
  • The volume chart shows typical patterns of shorts artificially marking down the price:
  • upload_2019-9-24_20-50-36-png.458559

• See those red candles with high volume at temporary bottoms? These "spikes" (or "icicles" in @Papafox's daily charts thread) are characteristic of past bear raids: seemingly "dumb" trades hypothesized to come from short sellers, either market orders or sell limit orders with the limit price below the current market price, which aggressively punch through relatively thin order book to break through key resistance levels and to mark down the price - followed up by more subtle sell-limit orders to cap recoveries and bounce-backs. Note that this spikes are likely not leveraged longs covering, according to the Robinhood data.
  • Macros are lousy: the NASDAQ index is -1.3% today, which created a -3% baseline drop according to typical beta correlations TSLA is showing intraday. If the shorts piled on just another -4% to create today's -7% to the current $222 daily low levels.
  • The $250 levels TSLA was eyeing in recent weeks is probably a psychological one to the shorts they don't want TSLA to cross - and which they probably also define as a good ceiling to short against.
I'd not be surprised to see the TSLA short interest increase from the current ~39 million to ~41 million in about 2-3 weeks when the NASDAQ short interest report for today's activities will be released. Conveniently that will be after the delivery report - so if shorts are speculating on bad deliveries, they might reduce their short positions on any negative reaction to the Q3 delivery report.

TL;DR: just another day in TSLA land as I see it, with the SEC asleep at the wheel. :D

Not advice.

$TSLAQ negated anything positive from Q3 numbers. If results are bad more pain, else will creep back up to normal.

Elon Musk on Twitter
Tesla is building a major engineering team in China, incl heavy focus on software/firmware for factory & car
3:53 PM · Sep 24, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Replying to
@elonmusk
and
@Teslarati
This includes original engineering of new factory processes & cars. Great engineers will only join if original engineering is supported, not just localization.

$TSLAQ negated anything positive from Q3 numbers. If results are bad more pain, else will creep back up to normal.

So as we've seen it with Q3'2018 and Q4'2018 all it takes are two solid quarters for the cash multiples and other metrics to improve, which will attract the longs and will (automatically) squeeze the shorts.

Note that good financials speak for themselves and no amount of TSLAQ false narrative was able to keep TSLA from reaching ~$380 in late 2018, which price levels were almost catastrophic for the shorts.

Q1'2019 gave more ammunition to them, and Q2 wasn't a 100% solid quarter in the GAAP space, which kept the negative narrative alive.

OT
You on the metric system still?
I tell you, ever since that Hubble error...

Hubble was a spherical aberration due to a measuring error History: The Spherical Aberration Problem
(though the measurement device offset was about a millimeter, it was more due to the metric system https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12717301-000-the-testing-error-that-led-to-hubble-mirror-fiasco/)
Mars Climate Orbiter was lost due to NASA units vs Lockheed Martin units Mars Climate Orbiter - Wikipedia

Sigh...I never would have invested my hard-earned money in the stock market if was I worried about every negative story in the financial press. I've been investing since the early 1990's and, in my experience, the market does really well when there are a lot of scary economic stories circulating and it crashes dramatically when everything is supposed to be all roses. So I stopped paying attention to all those scary-sounding stories and followed my instinct instead. That's worked for me.

My instinct tells me we are in the biggest bull market the world has ever seen and it's not a pyramid scheme, it's based upon increases in productivity, decreases in costs and technological innovations that create value. Sure, there will be stock market corrections along the way but anyone who tells you they can predict them with any accuracy is lying (or suffering from self-deception).

I have a lot of my hard earned money in the market, mostly cash long term accounts. Get what you are saying.

But a recession can occur even during a secular productivity explosion. It would not be as deep or painful. I think.

Congrat on the past 30 years. Good for you.

• Informative
Reactions: Fact Checking
OT

Hubble was a spherical aberration due to a measuring error History: The Spherical Aberration Problem
(though the measurement device offset was about a millimeter, it was more due to the metric system https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg12717301-000-the-testing-error-that-led-to-hubble-mirror-fiasco/)
Mars Climate Orbiter was lost due to NASA units vs Lockheed Martin units Mars Climate Orbiter - Wikipedia

got it. was just trying to be funny based on the Musk tweet about the metric system.
Next time...

Elon Musk on Twitter
Tesla is building a major engineering team in China, incl heavy focus on software/firmware for factory & car
3:53 PM · Sep 24, 2019·Twitter for iPhone

Replying to
@elonmusk
and
@Teslarati
This includes original engineering of new factory processes & cars. Great engineers will only join if original engineering is supported, not just localization.

EM further elaborates:

Mostly C/C++, Python & SQL
Elon Musk on Twitter

I'll bet engineers in China would love to help develop autonomy at Tesla. Cost would be lower, fewer issues concerning data collection and litigation, and huge customer base and a supportive government. What would Elon do. Hmm....

Reactions: AZRI11 and madodel
Before anyone starts saying we're giving away the jewels by hiring Firmware Engineers, I think it's perfect what he's doing and it's not the jewels yet. Quoting from Tesla's new Gigafactory 3 jobs puts Model 3 production, grassroots marketing in focus

"Another set of job listings uploaded by Tesla China suggests that the company is currently looking to form Gigafactory 3’s Factory Firmware Team. Among the jobs that were listed include Firmware Integration Engineers and Firmware Integration Technicians. This team will be tasked to “deploy, integrate, and assess” smart hardware and programmable logic controllers for Tesla’s vehicles."
The "PLCs" are for basic machine control in factories (I don't see these in vehicles, "logic" is in AI not PLCs). Smart hardware could be sensor tech in the cars maybe, IDK, but hardware is NOT software.

Point is that Elon is an inclusive leader and great at finding win/wins across lines. His strongest asset for creativity is the attraction of Prime Talent. He's a rock star in China now, and now he's going to tap their talent. Remember, Elon is an immigrant. He doesn't see the same borders and barriers as most do, and he well knows the value of diversity.

This is getting good...

Sigh...I never would have invested my hard-earned money in the stock market if was I worried about every negative story in the financial press. I've been investing since the early 1990's and, in my experience, the market does really well when there are a lot of scary economic stories circulating and it crashes dramatically when everything is supposed to be all roses. So I stopped paying attention to all those scary-sounding stories and followed my instinct instead. That's worked for me.

My instinct tells me we are in the biggest bull market the world has ever seen and it's not a pyramid scheme, it's based upon increases in productivity, decreases in costs and technological innovations that create value. Sure, there will be stock market corrections along the way but anyone who tells you they can predict them with any accuracy is lying (or suffering from self-deception).
I agree. I also think that on the way up, the drops will be very painful, just like it was before many many many times. The key, as Naval Ravikant says, is to overcome your addictions, in this case, to short term market dynamics. The long term is the real game.

EM further elaborates:

Mostly C/C++, Python & SQL
Elon Musk on Twitter

I'll bet engineers in China would love to help develop autonomy at Tesla. Cost would be lower, fewer issues concerning data collection and litigation, and huge customer base and a supportive government. What would Elon do. Hmm....

BTW., just to make it clear what Elon is doing on Twitter right now: Elon is poaching top NIO engineering talent, whose stock options have become worthless in the last year or so.

Fresh Tesla stock options on the other side, with TSLA still near 3-year lows, have a nice speculative upside option value.

Probably the only valuable asset NIO has at the moment are their engineers.

Last edited:
Sold 220 Oct 4 puts for $5. Now the question is, calls for glory or stay put for chicken little gains?
I mostly prefer selling puts because I find it very hard to guess when TSLA is going to spike up, and I'm not inclined to pay big option premiums for time value. I like having the passage of time on my side. Further, if my short puts get exercised, then I'm getting bargains on buying more TSLA shares.

Before anyone starts saying we're giving away the jewels by hiring Firmware Engineers, I think it's perfect what he's doing and it's not the jewels yet. Quoting from Tesla's new Gigafactory 3 jobs puts Model 3 production, grassroots marketing in focus

"Another set of job listings uploaded by Tesla China suggests that the company is currently looking to form Gigafactory 3’s Factory Firmware Team. Among the jobs that were listed include Firmware Integration Engineers and Firmware Integration Technicians. This team will be tasked to “deploy, integrate, and assess” smart hardware and programmable logic controllers for Tesla’s vehicles."
The "PLCs" are for basic machine control in factories (I don't see these in vehicles, "logic" is in AI not PLCs). Smart hardware could be sensor tech in the cars maybe, IDK, but hardware is NOT software.

Point is that Elon is an inclusive leader and great at finding win/wins across lines. His strongest asset for creativity is the attraction of Prime Talent. He's a rock star in China now, and now he's going to tap their talent. Remember, Elon is an immigrant. He doesn't see the same borders and barriers as most do, and he well knows the value of diversity.

This is getting good...

And then... as the Chinese top crackerjacks will want to get into the AI part, he could pull a few of the best geniuses into the main team in the US on a Visa. It essentially expands his talent reach to world-wide levels. This is the Tesla secret weapon if you ask me.

As much as anyone can agree or disagree with the Solar City deal, it's impact on Tesla as a company and it's finances is completely mute at this point. Tesla has practically wound down all of Solar City operations.
Only two things left:
1. Compliance with SUNY obligations at GF-2 in Buffalo.
2. Repaying old SCTY debt:
-$566 million matures in about six weeks
-There's about $1.5 billion of non-recourse debt with varying maturities and relatively high interest rates. Tesla can ill afford to default on SCTY's old non-recourse obligations if it ever expects to seek access to US capital markets going forward.​

BTW., just to make it clear what Elon is doing on Twitter right now: Elon is poaching top NIO engineering talent, whose stock options have become worthless in the last year or so.

Any risk in shorting NIO? I have no idea how, but Uber/Lyft would round up my top 3 picks for complete train wrecks.