Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is some truth to the Tesla fires regarding S and X. Model 3 seems to have no such problem.

Look at IIHS's non-crash related fire incident report:

by category:
- In the SUV category only the Jeep Renegade is worse than X and Tesla S and X are "leading" in the luxury category.

by all cars
- If we check all cars and ignore category, Tesla is just average.

BEVs only:
- S and X are "leading" again. I3, Leaf, Bolt did not even make it to the list.

https://www.iihs.org/media/c93b98d8-6a7d-44a1-810e-4468ec539e05/uIu4tg/HLDI Research/Fire losses/HLDI_FireLosses_1218.pdf

Non-crash loss claims for fire. You may want this to mean the cars spontaneously combusted, but it only means what it means: that the cars were lost due to a non-collision fire. Hint: if your house burns down and your car was in the garage you might have a fire loss claim.

The TESLAQ crowd will say that they want to steal Tesla's technology and use it for the glory of China and Chinese companies. If that were the motive, I doubt they needed to bring the factory over. They could also have gotten far through industrial espionage or reverse engineering.
Acid trip?
This is the point - politicians are denying climate change, or resisting doing anything about it because it's "too expensive".

What they don't realise is that the cost to the global economy without action will be massive. The sooner these old white men are out of power, the better.
"The sooner these old white men are out of power, the better."

Moderator, your inaction has allowed this board to turn into a swamp where ageism, racism and sexism are tolerated.

CNBC Phil Lebeau just now saying Wall Street number For Tesla to beat is 99,000 deliveries
Wall Street analyst consensus for Tesla’s deliveries in Q3
The Wall Street consensus for Tesla’s third-quarter deliveries is 98,000. Due to the July 1 reduction in the tax credit for Tesla vehicles, investors don’t have that incentive to bring forward their purchases to the third quarter. This could act as a negative catalyst for deliveries in Q3 compared to Q2.

There is some truth to the Tesla fires regarding S and X. Model 3 seems to have no such problem.

Look at IIHS's non-crash related fire incident report:

by category:
- In the SUV category only the Jeep Renegade is worse than X and Tesla S and X are "leading" in the luxury category.

by all cars
- If we check all cars and ignore category, Tesla is just average.

BEVs only:
- S and X are "leading" again. I3, Leaf, Bolt did not even make it to the list.

https://www.iihs.org/media/c93b98d8-6a7d-44a1-810e-4468ec539e05/uIu4tg/HLDI Research/Fire losses/HLDI_FireLosses_1218.pdf

"This Highway Loss Data Institute report presents comprehensive noncrash fire losses for passenger vehicles produced in model years 2016–18. Noncrash fire losses represent fire damage to a vehicle not caused by a collision or vandalism."

anecdotal = (of an account) not necessarily true or reliable, because based on personal accounts rather than facts or research.

there are too many "smart" summon videos out there which show the same behavior. Calling them all fake is your blindness.

Wow, out of a hundred thousand or so smart summons made on the first weekend alone, not all of them went perfect, including a person who had another car drive into them), their owners shared videos or stills, and they went viral. Someone call the waaaaaambulance.

Am I the only person on this planet who cares about actual statistical incidence rates over anecdotes? It sometimes feels that way.

UPDATE 1-U.S. auto safety agency notes Tesla accidents with Smart Summon feature

Asked about reports of crashes involving the feature, NHTSA said it “is aware of reports related to Tesla’s Summon feature. We are in ongoing contact with the company and we continue to gather information. Safety is NHTSA’s top priority and the agency will not hesitate to act if it finds evidence of a safety-related defect.”
yes, safety is their top priority -- right after finding something to crucify Tesla with. I've lost track of the recent collision where they released a preliminary report stating they were going to use the event to strong arm Tesla and made a huge deal about the eight seconds (IIRC) lapse from when AP was engaged to collision -- when their own preliminary report included a screencap that showed the semi was screened by trees close up to the intersection and that the semi almost certainly had to have run the stop sign to get in front of the Tesla.

An accurate preliminary report would have noted that the incident appeared to be the fault of the semi driver, but that an investigation was being done for due diligence. And foregone the statement about going after Tesla.

I expect to hear nothing more about the accident unless they can craft a successful hit on Tesla. I was going to track it for the final report, but (as noted) I failed in that regard.

The NHTSA is approximately equal to the SEC in regards to Tesla. They haven't overstepped themselves yet and embarrassed themselves in court and I hope they keep it that way. But it is irritating how they keep gunning for Tesla.

Wanting to limit economic growth is sensible especially in areas which damage the planet such as coal and gas.
You mean like areas that have atmosphere, or water?
Not to mention the total fallacy that we have to stop economic growth to clean up the planet. You might as well say "Let's stop collecting trash, saving that money will be more efficient."

Wow, out of a hundred thousand or so smart summons made on the first weekend alone, not all of them went perfect, their owners shared videos or stills, and they went viral. Someone call the waaaaaambulance.

Am I the only person on this planet who cares about actual statistical incidence rates over anecdotes? It sometimes feels that way.
You are not alone: insurance companies care very much. But the NHTSA has it out for Tesla. We both know which one makes headlines.

I predict a green close today. The last hour has been a steady climb up.

giphy.gif