Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Was a huge supporter of unions at one time.

The auto sector unions have specifically gone on record now saying that their pocket is more important than possible futures for the Earth. Which makes them just like everyone else, and especially just like the employers and corporations they are negotiating with.

Way of the world I guess.

In case you missed it:
mmd.png

Here are my Tesla thank yous:
Thank you PG&E for making people understand the reason for a powerwall and solar.
Thank you Porsche for bringing out the Taycan, may it run faster than all of its ICE porsche brethren.
Thank you NIO for showing tesla how its not done.
Thank you drone operator for showing the world, step by step, how oil price manipulation works.
Thank you journalists for ignoring range anxiety in tesla killers.
Thank you Nurburgring raising the bar and getting tesla to wrap its cars at warp speed on your track.
Thank you cambridge analytica and facebook for showing the world how propaganda works and laying the roadmap to do this for other areas besides elections.
Thank you volatile organic compounds released at the gas station (in texas there are no hoods over the pumps) to make me realize how much i miss the gas station.
Thank you state of Texas for making electricity so cheap, but i'm told my home gas station installation is coming soon, so not sure what to do with all that cheap electricity.
Thank you UAW for exposing the US automanufacturers increased costs, so that they may be forced to go to EVs just to survive by costs alone.
Thank you for ignoring this post, since it is so poorly written it cannot be considered poetry.
IF by mistake reach the end of this post, and have not ignored, deleted or disagreed, please add more thank yous...

Has the narrative surprisungly changed on Tesla? Is there something big coming?
I’ve wondered when those who are potential winners from EV adoption would have the cojones to tell the FUDsters to lay off. In my mind these would be:
1) Energy providers - EVs represent a new market
2) Traditional automakers who are serious about an EV investment (I.e. VW, maybe). They may see attacks on Tesla as attacks on EVs in general.

Perhaps their influence is finally starting to prevail over whomever is behind current FUD.

I’ve wondered when those who are potential winners from EV adoption would have the cojones to tell the FUDsters to lay off. In my mind these would be:
1) Energy providers - EVs represent a new market
2) Traditional automakers who are serious about an EV investment (I.e. VW, maybe). They may see attacks on Tesla as attacks on EVs in general.

Perhaps their influence is finally starting to prevail over whomever is behind current FUD.
Other winners include everyone with lungs and brains who don't react well to carbon monoxide and people who live in coastal cities...

I haven't been so effective. Showed two friends my summon video. The first thing out of both of their mouths was 'Hey you should be careful I saw a video of someone almost getting into an accident using summon.'

Edit: Sadly, I think the FUD is definitely working very well against the general public.

Response: "One accident out of 550000 summons, in parking lots of all places? That's really impressive!"

If they challenge the "one" claim, point out that 550k was just on the first couple days alone. Never let anecdotes override statistics.

The UAW now explicitly demanding de-prioritization of EVs and autonomous vehicles. How can people be so short-sighted? Makes me a bit sad for the folks who have been fooled into thinking they can stop this transition. Then again it's not that hard to see coming, so perhaps I should save my sympathy for people whose vicissitudes are more severe and less of their own making.

“Calls to halt EVs and automated cars would appear to hurt the very workers the UAW is representing. GM has committed to building the nation's "first union-represented battery cell manufacturing plant" in Ohio as part of a $7 billion investment over the next four years.”

Dumba$$e$.

The fact that there is "nothing better" is not a good reason to use something. It would be better to not know than to ascribe meaning to such an imperfect tool. There really are rabbit holes you don't want to go down.

Johnsonian. "A quibble ... is sure to lead him out of the way, and sure to engulf him in the mire."

#GM #UAV #EXTINCTION

Off the top of my head, Porsche a year or two ago negotiated a new contract with the union that allowed the company to keep pay flat for a number of years while investing the balance [from skipped raises] in their new EVs. I assume there was an employment guarantee.

There's not much time left for the ICE mammoths to prepare. It's not about getting it perfectly right, but being in a better position than your classic rivals. Volvo just presented a plan to hive off their IC engine production into a separate business while they concentrate on increasing the share of electrified vehicles.

Last edited:
I mean actual people, not derps paid to get clicks with nonsense. ;)

If everyone in parking lots drove as slow and passively as a Tesla during Smart Summon, there will definitely be A LOT less accidents.

Edit: The other thing to point out is many of that 500k use touted has been in empty or partially empty parking lots. The few videos showing accident or near accident have been in busy parking lots. So, it’s not an apples to apples comparison.
I think that IS apples to apples. The level of safety inherent in a specific feature is impacted by how people use it. That's like saying guns are more dangerous than we think because most people who use them are shooting them away from people.

I was thinking about all the people out there with software limited batteries and how Tesla often releases the limit during natural disasters when evacuations are required.

It got me thinking that Tesla could EASILY create a rental program for the extra capacity. They could create a simple online interface where people with software limited cars could request to have the full capacity for a specific time period, and pay whatever the fee is. I would think this would be fairly popular for people taking weekend trips since it would reduce the charge time needed for the trip, or even allow them to make the trip in a software limited car.

It just seems like there needs to be some way to monetize that extra battery capacity - it wasn't free to Tesla. You may say, "but that will remove any incentive for people to pay to unlock their battery". If they haven't done it by now, they probably aren't going to. Besides, many people will wind up spending more on rental over time than the unlock would have cost anyway.

It's just an idea that came to mind this morning. I haven't totally thought it out.