Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve wondered when those who are potential winners from EV adoption would have the cojones to tell the FUDsters to lay off. In my mind these would be:
1) Energy providers - EVs represent a new market
"Energy providers" are desperate to push back the EV revolution because it comes hand-in-hand with the renewable energy revolution and that means an end to all fossil/nuke/utility profits.

I was thinking about all the people out there with software limited batteries and how Tesla often releases the limit during natural disasters when evacuations are required.

It got me thinking that Tesla could EASILY create a rental program for the extra capacity. They could create a simple online interface where people with software limited cars could request to have the full capacity for a specific time period, and pay whatever the fee is. I would think this would be fairly popular for people taking weekend trips since it would reduce the charge time needed for the trip, or even allow them to make the trip in a software limited car.

It just seems like there needs to be some way to monetize that extra battery capacity - it wasn't free to Tesla. You may say, "but that will remove any incentive for people to pay to unlock their battery". If they haven't done it by now, they probably aren't going to. Besides, many people will wind up spending more on rental over time than the unlock would have cost anyway.

It's just an idea that came to mind this morning. I haven't totally thought it out.

Interesting idea. That, along with renting FSD, are two potential revenue streams. Tesla might argue not enough revenue to justify whatever they need to do on the backend.

It just seems like there needs to be some way to monetize that extra battery capacity - it wasn't free to Tesla. You may say, "but that will remove any incentive for people to pay to unlock their battery". If they haven't done it by now, they probably aren't going to. Besides, many people will wind up spending more on rental over time than the unlock would have cost anyway.

It's just an idea that came to mind this morning. I haven't totally thought it out.
Yup. Just need to price it right to hit that sweet spot for people who won't pay the full upgrade, but would pay for occasional range. Price discrimination 101.

Interesting idea. That, along with renting FSD, are two potential revenue streams. Tesla might argue not enough revenue to justify whatever they need to do on the backend.
The costs would surely be pretty low. Just some tweaks to the free trial system they use for autopilot.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncaNed
Meanwhile, Dusaniwsky needs to update his Tesla chart soon, otherwise he looks like he is helping to keep this whole covering event from being too widely noticed by the Tesla investing community.

That's funny. I've long said I don't trust the short interest numbers Dusaniwsky publishes for free, out of the goodness of his heart, right?

The fact that the major exchanges don't provide up-to-the-minute and accurate short-selling transparency (why should regular buying/selling have more transparency than short-selling/covering?) leaves a huge hole for manipulative misinformation. If the void exists, someone is going to fill it and you can bet they don't have your best interest in mind. There is always a motivation for what people do. At first, I was open to the possibility that his motivation was simply to get attention (which is a surprisingly popular motivation) and that he might be publishing credible numbers. But I discarded that possibility long ago. It's been pretty obvious for months now that he is just another tool of the short-sellers.

That guy has been a hardcore FUDster for years, and he's never before gone so far as to even try a Supercharger? And they've let him write article after article about Tesla?

It reminds me of Green Eggs and Ham

I do not like Teslas on a boat
I do not like Teslas with a goat

* drives Tesla for weekend *

I do like Tesla!

Warning: Click at your own risk.

Mark Matousek

Mark Matousek

^ Source

"...
and previously worked as an intern at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

I graduated from Washington University in St. Louis with degrees in film and media studies and business economics"

In his work, under bio, ALL articles are highly negative of Tsla.

It is just a dude with "degree" in film, used by BusIns site to write crap about Tsla.

Interestingly, he's not written any articles about film. Noting at all.

Wow, a slim chance my 10/18 calls at $300 will expire worthless, but not as worthless as I thought. :/

I’ve wondered when those who are potential winners from EV adoption would have the cojones to tell the FUDsters to lay off. In my mind these would be:
1) Energy providers - EVs represent a new market
2) Traditional automakers who are serious about an EV investment (I.e. VW, maybe). They may see attacks on Tesla as attacks on EVs in general.

Perhaps their influence is finally starting to prevail over whomever is behind current FUD.
Energy companies don't have enough sway. They backed the push to extend the EV tax credits, but the lobbying arm from the oil industry was stronger.

"Energy providers" are desperate to push back the EV revolution because it comes hand-in-hand with the renewable energy revolution and that means an end to all fossil/nuke/utility profits.
I don't think that's the case at all. Electric generation companies are pro-EV for the most part. I'm also now in the "nuclear isn't going anywhere" camp.

Last edited:
The fact that the major exchanges don't provide up-to-the-minute and accurate short-selling transparency (why should regular buying/selling have more transparency than short-selling/covering?) leaves a huge hole for manipulative misinformation.

Pretty funny to think how easy it would be for market makers to essentially end most manipulation. A governing body could simply mandate a transparent marketplace for all short positions and name names. You wanna short TSLA 300k shares? You gotta put your name on it at the point of the transaction.

I stand corrected.

I'll rephrase my point though: the information is quite hidden and not very reader friendly. (I know I'm not making many friends with these last few posts, but I just agreed with @mrdoubleb that there should be a short FAQ "BEV's for dummies" made by Tesla to combat the main fallacies surrounding BEV's.)

Call me short attention span or whatever, that's not the point. Only Tesla enthusiasts are willing to go through the entire website digging for clues. Reviewers generally don't do this, given the current terrible standards for journalism.

If the journalist isn't doing their job now, what makes you think a FAQ on the Tesla website is going to change that?

Hint: There is already a FAQ on the Tesla website. ;)

Pretty funny to think how easy it would be for market makers to essentially end most manipulation. A governing body could simply mandate a transparent marketplace for all short positions and name names. You wanna short TSLA 300k shares? You gotta put your name on it at the point of the transaction.

By "transparency" I'm not suggesting that people's names be attached to the trades, simply that all trades are reported in real-time (not just regular buys/sells). There is simply no reason not to do this in a transparent marketplace.

That's funny. I've long said I don't trust the short interest numbers Dusaniwsky publishes for free, out of the goodness of his heart, right?

The fact that the major exchanges don't provide up-to-the-minute and accurate short-selling transparency (why should regular buying/selling have more transparency than short-selling/covering?) leaves a huge hole for manipulative misinformation. If the void exists, someone is going to fill it and you can bet they don't have your best interest in mind. There is always a motivation for what people do. At first, I was open to the possibility that his motivation was simply to get attention (which is a surprisingly popular motivation) and that he might be publishing credible numbers. But I discarded that possibility long ago. It's been pretty obvious for months now that he is just another tool of the short-sellers.

I dont think he has a direct interest in Tesla. He is giving out small samples of data to generate interest for his S3 Partners Black app, which is supposed to give real time borrow fees and extrapolates short interest. He tweets about all lots of companies with high short interest, not just Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba
I stand corrected.

I'll rephrase my point though: the information is quite hidden and not very reader friendly. (I know I'm not making many friends with these last few posts, but I just agreed with @mrdoubleb that there should be a short FAQ "BEV's for dummies" made by Tesla to combat the main fallacies surrounding BEV's.)

Call me short attention span or whatever, that's not the point. Only Tesla enthusiasts are willing to go through the entire website digging for clues. Reviewers generally don't do this, given the current terrible standards for journalism.

Hmm... the Charging page is a main item in the "hamburger" menu. It provides an overview and a link explaining all the charging options, including Supercharging, with large bold red "Learn More" buttons that take you to the detail pages. Not exactly "hidden". Including the FAQ in the "Support" section (also a main menu option), is pretty standard.

I'm not sure on the "hard to understand" part. The Supercharging page actually includes an animated graphic depicting charge time. It's literally presented as "Here, let us draw you a picture".

So I can appreciate the sentiment of "Maybe include a more prominent link on the main page, or include a link within the product data pages", but I think your claims of hidden hard to understand info is a bit over the top.

Hmm... the Charging page is a main item in the "hamburger" menu. It provides an overview and a link explaining all the charging options, including Supercharging, with large bold red "Learn More" buttons that take you to the detail pages. Not exactly "hidden". Including the FAQ in the "Support" section (also a main menu option), is pretty standard.

I'm not sure on the "hard to understand" part. The Supercharging page actually includes an animated graphic depicting charge time. It's literally presented as "Here, let us draw you a picture".

So I can appreciate the sentiment of "Maybe include a more prominent link on the main page, or include a link within the product data pages", but I think your claims of hidden hard to understand info is a bit over the top.
Fair enough.

If the journalist isn't doing their job now, what makes you think a FAQ on the Tesla website is going to change that?

Hint: There is already a FAQ on the Tesla website. ;)
With journalists you basically have 2 options.

Option 1 is to leave things to them to figure out. This is generally a bad idea, especially when introducing new products or product categories (EVs are still new in this sense) and this is why no sane company does this.

Option 2 is to feed them materials packaged and ready made for consumption. Depending on how you look at it, journalists are often under a tight deadline/lazy and don`t have time to research, plus come with their own biases like every human being. So you should make attractively made press materials which are short, have ready made sound bites you`d like to hear (the message you want to push).

For test drives, If it was me, I`d prepare some printed material in the car for them, with some basics on things like the above. E.g:

"Did you know it takes approximately the same time to charge a battery 10-70% as it takes to charge 70-100%? In most cases a few shorter stops to charge will get you quicker to your destination than a single long one. Don`t worry, Tesla`s built in navigation system does all the math for you and will suggest chargers and charging times along your route. It also shows real-time availability of the chargers".

"Your car charges the fastest when the battery is at an optimal temperature for supercharging. Once again, you don`t need to worry about this - your Tesla will intelligently ensure you get to the charger with just the right battery temperature. All you have to do is use the built in navigation and plan your route with the on-board system".

If you leave these things for them to figure out, it will 1, never get reported and 2, you`ll see the journalist complaining about the low charging speed compared to Tesla`s claims. It shouldn`t be left to fans and supporters to have to correct these things in articles` comment sections.

I think the majority will end up unlocked, but maybe further in the future as the battery capacity degrades and they need to unlock to maintain the range they need for their daily uses. There is also the possibility that renting the range could get them to see why the extra range is valuable and cause them to pay for it. (Probably not thought.)

They could do a rent-to-own program where 50% of each rental price can be used to offset the unlocking. So if you pay to rent it enough times you eventually just end up unlocked.

Of course how many software locked cars are there? (Other than the Model 3 SRs.)

Beyond just a few packs it is a very poor use of capital, unless they do double duty and arbitrage power too.
Powerpacks at Superchargers are a great use of Tesla's capital for the following reasons:

1. Undoubtedly, they will indeed be used to arbitrage power. Particularly in California, there are generally very large deltas between the "peak" and "super off peak" rates. I don't know what sort of commercial rates Tesla has negotiated, but as a Southern California Edison residential customer, I'm paying anywhere from $0.12/kWh to $0.48/kWh depending on time of day and time of year. (Note that I scarcely ever actually pay those peak rates, thanks to our Powerwalls.) When outages are expected, of course, arbitrage would not be performed and the Powerpacks would be kept close to full charge.

2. The PR benefits are pretty significant. In reality, the vast majority of Superchargers in California will rarely be subject to forced outages, but public perception is worse than reality thanks to the sensationalist mainstream media. The perception that Tesla provides dependable charging will continue to help sell cars.

Now, the downside of Powerpacks at Superchargers is that their capacity would likely not be adequate for heavy Supercharger use, even with on-site solar generation. I suppose Tesla could mitigate this by rationing power/energy at Superchargers during outages; if necessary, they could limit each car to charging just enough (with reasonable margin) to reach charging infrastructure where there's full power.

Warning: Click at your own risk.

Mark Matousek

Mark Matousek

^ Source

"...
and previously worked as an intern at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

I graduated from Washington University in St. Louis with degrees in film and media studies and business economics"

In his work, under bio, ALL articles are highly negative of Tsla.

It is just a dude with "degree" in film, used by BusIns site to write crap about Tsla.

Interestingly, he's not written any articles about film. Noting at all.

IME, people who get degrees in "film" often come from families wealthy with "old" money, spent their spoiled youth watching too many movies and thus believe they could be a producer someday. They might take a job writing, but not for the paltry pay, just to be able to tell their hard-nosed grand-daddy that they actually work. They probably have a huge trust fund heavy in old-money things like oil and gas, pipelines and American auto-making and manufacturing. The General Electric stock hasn't done so well. Neither has the American auto-making. They see writing anti-Tesla stories as "doing something useful" for grandpappy. He LIKES the stories they write! They can show grandpappy that they really are not a worthless, lazy scum of a human being that he says they are, they are hard at work fighting the good fight!

Maybe he won't write them out of his will after all. ;)