Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watch this place get really quiet now...
This?

Last | 2:33 PM EDT
quote price arrow up
+10.03 (+5.73%)

Reactions: Richard007
"Tesla's semi trucks have achieved an uptime of greater than 95%, including preventive and unscheduled maintenance." This is the key factor that will drive Tesla Semi adoption. Of all of it's many advantages (safety, acceleration, maneuverability, etc): industry-leading uptime translates into higher margins. It is a moat that ICE semis will never step to. The second most significant factor is fuel savings - can't compete against saving dollhairs.
What is the typical/average uptime for ICE Semis?

Reactions: DarkandStormy
I already explained this to you

I'll add disingenous forgetfulness to your list of wonderful traits.

Your link is broken.

Anyway, here we are...seven years later after Elon said they could do the "convoy" autonomous driving with their Semis, and we have no evidence that Tesla or Pepsi has ever utilized the technology. You remember the math about the convoy of trucks vs rail economics, right?

I get that you think Elon is never wrong so it must be hard to square that.

Reactions: replicant
Is the move up maybe related to this little snippet? Some specific details on the Model 2 (which I just said yesterday seemed like wasn't happening lol)

Model 2 in Europe to being production in 2027.

Model 2x (bit more rugged) to begin production in Austin in 2026

Glad this is happening, hopefully they can speed up the production dates.

I think we’re talking about car industry, not some artisan manufacturing? Clearly Semi’s production has not yet been started. They are building prototypes by hand approximately one/month as they have for few years.
If they've delivered that many to Pepsico and are planning on deliverying 30 more real soon now, plus a couple of other partners, plus the ones they're delivering to themselves for Tesla use... I'd say they're at a higher rate than 1/month. But its probably not more than 5-10/month until they get the production facility done.

I think we’re talking about car industry, not some artisan manufacturing? Clearly Semi’s production has not yet been started. They are building prototypes by hand approximately one/month as they have for few years.

2017: if you order now you get the truck in two years.

2017: I mean timing wise I am guessing that we will probably reach scale production on the semi in about 2 years, maybe 18 months, but probably about 2 years.

2019: semi next year

2020: It’s time to go all out and bring the Tesla Semi to volume production

2022: Tesla 500 mile range Semi Truck starts shipping this year

2022: we're tentatively aiming for 50,000 units in 2024 for Tesla Semi in North America

2022: We will, however, do a lot of engineering and tooling, whatnot to create those vehicles: Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster, Optimus, and be ready to bring those to production hopefully next year

Not sure why anyone is taking the 2026 timeline seriously given all the above statements. I copy/pasted so as not to spam this comment full of tweets.

As I understand it, this is already happening.
As a not-entirely OT fact about truckers in North America, there is this:
"The U.S. is home to half a million Sikhs, of which the Sikhs Political Action Committee estimates that around 150,000 of them work in the trucking industry – which makes the sector an overwhelming favorite amongst their populace. The statistics are interesting, to say the least. 90% of all the Sikhs in the trade are truckers, and Indians, in general, are ahead of other Asian nations, controlling nearly half of all Asian-owned trucking businesses in America. And as per the findings of the North American Punjabi Trucking Association (NAPTA), California is the ground zero of the Punjabi bulwark, with 40% of truckers in the region being Sikhs." from SONAR
The immediate relevance is that the process of BEV adoption by NA truckers is simplified by having a highly cohesive trucker population to adapt to BEV's. To be clear, they may not be overly enthused about automation in driving.

2017: if you order now you get the truck in two years.

2017: I mean timing wise I am guessing that we will probably reach scale production on the semi in about 2 years, maybe 18 months, but probably about 2 years.

2019: semi next year

2020: It’s time to go all out and bring the Tesla Semi to volume production

2022: Tesla 500 mile range Semi Truck starts shipping this year

2022: we're tentatively aiming for 50,000 units in 2024 for Tesla Semi in North America

2022: We will, however, do a lot of engineering and tooling, whatnot to create those vehicles: Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster, Optimus, and be ready to bring those to production hopefully next year

Not sure why anyone is taking the 2026 timeline seriously given all the above statements. I copy/pasted so as not to spam this comment full of tweets.
Yeah the semi timetable announcements have been pie in the sky.
Going from a handful a week to 1,000 a week is going to take a lot of effort.
Highly unlikely to happen in 2/3 years.

Plus the customers need to install the chargers which takes time.

As a not-entirely OT fact about truckers in North America, there is this:
"The U.S. is home to half a million Sikhs, of which the Sikhs Political Action Committee estimates that around 150,000 of them work in the trucking industry – which makes the sector an overwhelming favorite amongst their populace. The statistics are interesting, to say the least. 90% of all the Sikhs in the trade are truckers, and Indians, in general, are ahead of other Asian nations, controlling nearly half of all Asian-owned trucking businesses in America. And as per the findings of the North American Punjabi Trucking Association (NAPTA), California is the ground zero of the Punjabi bulwark, with 40% of truckers in the region being Sikhs." from SONAR
The immediate relevance is that the process of BEV adoption by NA truckers is simplified by having a highly cohesive trucker population to adapt to BEV's. To be clear, they may not be overly enthused about automation in driving.
The great thing is that nobody can completely stop progress. Tesla will not stop now regardless of their feelings.

All of those thousands of telephone switchboard operators have been replaced by silicon chips. The show must go on.