Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fully agree.

But you can't blame the reviewers for not knowing. I don't own a Tesla (yet, *cough Model Y cough*) and wouldn't know about any of this stuff (proper charging routines for maximum longevity) if I wasn't a Tesla investor/enthusiast.

So I do in fact blame Tesla on this. Even their website doesn't have a simple FAQ about these basics.
It doesn't?

Are you sure?

Last edited:
What got me the most is that it's from Mark Matousek. That guy has been a hardcore FUDster for years, and he's never before gone so far as to even try a Supercharger? And they've let him write article after article about Tesla?

Yeah, but did you see the SP below the article? In fact every time I refresh the screen it gives a different (incorrect) value :confused:

upload_2019-10-10_15-27-16.png

The first PG&E blackouts will obviously only affect a low percentage of the population, because it's IMO a first exploratory experiment by PG&E to reduce their liabilities and pressure policymakers.

We are past 'peak fire season' in California already, which will wind down in the next ~2 months:

california_gis_2018.png

Guess what PG&E will do next summer if their lawyers advise them to shut down power for a couple of weeks to 5% of the population due to unhedged fire risk? Or 10% of the population? In an election year?

This event is obviously 100% relevant to Tesla's storage business, so I'm pretty sure many here will continue to be interested in reasonable updates about this topic, as long as it doesn't get bogged down by the details.

(Mods might disagree though. :D)
Tesla should hook up with medical service providers. People with conditions dependent on medical hardware from home dialysis, oxygen and other critical or ongoing care requirements might get backup power through medical plans.

Could it be that a larger number of shorts were buying Nio with the money they got from the TSLA short sale? The big Nio drop could've lead to a number of people then getting margin called and having to buy back the TSLA shares. In such a scenario it seems you can easily lose a lot of money without TSLA making big moves.

Example: You short 1 share of TSLA and get 240 USD. You invest that money in ~80 shares of NIO. NIO drops 50% you only have 120 USD of worth in your account now. Your broker isn't happy and wants to make sure they get their money back. You have to buy back TSLA for 240$ with the 120$ from your NIO and 120$ from your own pocket.

That could explain some covering recently and why shorts are particularly aggressive now. However, it doesn't really explain why TSLA dropped on the same day as NIO. Although, the two days afterwards it got a nice boost.

Is it even possible to buy other stock with the money from a short sale? I remember reading on twitter though that some of the shorts had put it in treasury notes or so.

Reactions: UncaNed
I stand corrected.

I'll rephrase my point though: the information is quite hidden and not very reader friendly. (I know I'm not making many friends with these last few posts, but I just agreed with @mrdoubleb that there should be a short FAQ "BEV's for dummies" made by Tesla to combat the main fallacies surrounding BEV's.)

Call me short attention span or whatever, that's not the point. Only Tesla enthusiasts are willing to go through the entire website digging for clues. Reviewers generally don't do this, given the current terrible standards for journalism.

That's another advantage, yes. But it's also known that charging to 100% every time (i.e. night) has a negative effect on battery longevity. You're supposed to charge to 75%-85% unless you're planning a long trip. (That's what I've read on TMC, no actual experience with this. That was my point).
In terms of basic charging information there is a ton here:

Charging | Tesla

As to best practices, that will largely be matter of personal perspective and there is a TON of information on YouTube as well as other sources. Lack of information is in large part, a matter of lack of searching on the individual's part in this day and age.

Dan

The UAW now explicitly demanding de-prioritization of EVs and autonomous vehicles. How can people be so short-sighted? Makes me a bit sad for the folks who have been fooled into thinking they can stop this transition. Then again it's not that hard to see coming, so perhaps I should save my sympathy for people whose vicissitudes are more severe and less of their own making.

Sigh.

UAW representative, speaking on behalf of GM employees in the negotiations: "GM is not interested in cars in the future. We’re still a ways away from the electric vehicles and the autonomous vehicles. As you go to the electric vehicles and autonomous vehicles, they don’t take as many parts and less manpower to assemble."

Sigh.

UAW representative, speaking on behalf of GM employees in the negotiations: "GM is not interested in cars in the future. We’re still a ways away from the electric vehicles and the autonomous vehicles. As you go to the electric vehicles and autonomous vehicles, they don’t take as many parts and less manpower to assemble."
Holy *sugar*. I will gladly watch GM wither away.....

giphy.gif

The UAW now explicitly demanding de-prioritization of EVs and autonomous vehicles. How can people be so short-sighted? Makes me a bit sad for the folks who have been fooled into thinking they can stop this transition. Then again it's not that hard to see coming, so perhaps I should save my sympathy for people whose vicissitudes are more severe and less of their own making.

Sigh.

Well that is one way to ensure that you put the company out of business and don't have a job at all in the future. o_O

Sigh.

Jeeeez. They just laid all their cards on the table. Way to guarantee your members a loss of jobs, UAW.

Sigh.

In my opinion the UAW was a cure for one problem years ago that has become a disease far worse than the original. They are in complete self preservation mode at this point. EVs and automation are a direct threat to their cash flow from member dues and rather than spend some of that money helping their members re-train for the new technology they would rather bark at the wind and try to delay the inevitable.

Dan