Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? To put in a car that is not FSD? A car that can’t potentially replace 3 cars. That’s nuts I can’t believe he said that. All batteries are needed for Tesla. Let them buy salvage.

He sort of begrudgingly admitted that "it would be consistent with Tesla's mission to help other car companies, so yes, we would be open to that..."

S &X question.

Elon: "Niche products." Continuing to make them for sentimental reasons more than anything else.

(Exactly my point.)

Great feature of S & X: HEPA filter, etc.

Model X: art piece.

Also the race track stuff (which you already know if you are that type of person).

To be honest, I haven't done a recent review of the new suspension software. (I was underwhelmed by the initial software release of the new `Raven' suspension.)

Don't get the bolded type. They are a smaller demand product for sure but let's face it the Model 3 and probably the Model Y isn't for everyone especially a large family or those needing cargo space. I doubt people needing more room in their vehicles are going to buy a truck or a semi. The S&X form factors fill the need well for many and I don't see that changing. I have a Model 3 and love it, but I also wouldn't give up our Model S. Absolutely love it for longer road trips and loading some large things in the back. Model X was too big for our needs.

Incredible move. Question now is whether to take some profits here. This is a huge gap up. Debating whether to hold my calls till Friday or sell tomorrow.

That's a small gap up. I'm showing AH at $306. That's barely a 20% gap up which is not that much for a stock like TSLA. Don't get me wrong, 20% is 20% but in the bigger picture, it's peanuts.

Elon said this about the Pickup Truck: "I think it's going to be the greatest Tesla vehicle, ever" - or something like that.

It's a vehicle from a blank sheet of paper. All other vehicles have been carefully calculated to a precise market niche. Designers like Elon and Franz most enjoy starting from that blank sheet.

IMO whatever the form of the pickup it will not be a straight up competitor to a single vehicle like the F150. It will pull buyers from many market segments. It will create a new Ev truck class with characteristics that don't fit ICE market segmentation.

Why? To put in a car that is not FSD? A car that can’t potentially replace 3 cars. That’s nuts I can’t believe he said that. All batteries are needed for Tesla. Let them buy salvage.

He sort of begrudgingly admitted that "it would be consistent with Tesla's mission to help other car companies, so yes, we would be open to that..."

Yes, there was a really long pause there. I think it was like when he was asked before at the Autonomous Drive Event if Tesla would make a submarine or something like that. He's trying to be very polite. And who knows if their battery factories are able to overproduce for their needs they could consider selling some of their inventory.

Reactions: woodisgood
And what was this about one pedal driving? Like they're going to OTA full one pedal driving?
They probably have decided to increase regen power along with the increase in charge rate, therefore more braking without using the brakes (and long term slight uptick in battery degradation?). The recent changes in the BMS (at least in term of slight reduction in range many have seen with V10, possibly playing with reserve as well) may be in preparation for this.

Just to repeat, 5% MORE HORSEPOWER coming to Model 3 via OTA in the next few weeks. WOW!

If more power is coming, how fast for perfromance 3 now? What 0-60 time?

I can’t listen to the call, but if it was said 5% HP increase, you won’t feel the difference in the butt-dyno. 5% HP increase is not much to affect acceleration to 60 in any meaningful way. Probably shave 0.1 second at the very best. You might see a difference on the trap. It’s the Tq that matters. Now if they said 5% increase in Tq, then that’s something.

Yes, there was a really long pause there. I think it was like when he was asked before at the Autonomous Drive Event if Tesla would make a submarine or something like that. He's trying to be very polite. And who knows if their battery factories are able to overproduce for their needs they could consider selling some of their inventory.

Tesla can't make all the world's EVs...yet. They need tens or hundreds more factories all over the world to do so, not to mention a locked down and plentiful supply of lithium and other battery raw materials.

So until then, have to offer a hand to the companies most willing to come along. Not doing so slows the mission.

Reactions: dhrivnak
When I saw the stock trade at 307 after hours, I dumped all of my shares. Maybe it goes higher, but sitting on a 50% gain in less than a year makes me a bit concerned about protecting against downside, so I'll take the profit and buy a snowmobile and if the stock drops back into the low 200 range again, I'll buy as long as there isn't a negative development in fundamentals.

Now I'm laughing. Low $200's without a negative development in the fundamentals??

Where can I lobby for a "hilarious" emoticon rating?

Don't get the bolded type. They are a smaller demand product for sure but let's face it the Model 3 and probably the Model Y isn't for everyone especially a large family or those needing cargo space. I doubt people needing more room in their vehicles are going to buy a truck or a semi. The S&X form factors fill the need well for many and I don't see that changing. I have a Model 3 and love it, but I also wouldn't give up our Model S. Absolutely love it for longer road trips and loading some large things in the back. Model X was too big for our needs.

I have a hard time driving a car without automatic doors now :D

One reason that I'd like to see, is if Tesla finds an existing commercial truck manufacturer that would like to build commercial trucks with Tesla drive trains. Then Tesla doesn't need to create a complete commercial truck division, and all of the rest of the expertise and truck designs for all of the different flavors of commercial trucking.

Instead Tesla can stay focused on batteries, packs, and drive trains, while a partner does what they already know how to do - build the various variants of commercial trucks while having a plentiful supply of packs and drivetrains that they probably don't have expertise to build.

And that truck manufacturer will continue to provide service to commercial trucks (parts etc..), and also staying up on commercial truck regs, tools, and stuff that is also part of providing to that market.

Then again - you add commercial truck to Tesla's aspiration in light duty vehicles, and Tesla might need to be more like 4 or 5 TWh/year worth of cell/pack/drive train manufacturing.

Oh - and then you need to add in the Tesla Energy / storage aspirations, and maybe now you're more like 6 or 7 TWh/year.

Tesla has a very big horizon open ahead of it.