Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Alright, so, call over.

I have questions: how exactly does a margin call work in this scenario (huge event triggering the margin requirement after-hours)?

Would the shorts typically get the margin call before open (tonight/tomorrow morning), upon/shortly after open, near close, or after close tomorrow?

And, don't they have a couple days to resolve the margin call after they get it?

All this good news at once, then the solar show Thursday, anyone feel like it was a planned hoopla comeback quarter intended at stock movement?

So far so good...
More like advertising momentum. Catch all the news stories on stock price by inserting a product announcement in them. Try to get all the news writers writing bad stories about how both are bad very salaciously. That will cause a lot of people to learn about the product and buy it, causing the price to go up.

(I don't think the stock price is the intended target, just a waystation. It's product advertising mostly.)

I.e., this is 2019. We have the Internet. Elon is launching SpaceX's Starlink, for instance. Oh hey, Elon again. Huh. Imagine that.

(Newspapers? News reporters? Pathetic. A throwback, and a way to deal with them productively. Essentially, they are equal opportunity useful idiots, which pisses off their masters no end.)

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: JusRelax and bpjod
Just to repeat, 5% MORE HORSEPOWER coming to Model 3 via OTA in the next few weeks. WOW!
I thought they meant horsepower as well at first, but their later comments suggested they meant power consumption reduction instead - they were talking about range improvements resulting from this. Seemingly this is how they get the Model 3 up to the new 250 miles instead of the old 240 miles.

key takeaways from call

1) Truck is the best ever product as per Elon
2) Solar and energy back on track. Many initiatives to push for solar. Solar V3
3) more demand for S/X in this Quarter
4) likely margin pressure during China ramp-up..should be small impact
5) FSD feature ready selective launch in 2019, more in 2020
6) More Power through OTA
7) More orders this quarter to date, and evenly distributed in all regions.
8) EU giga announcement soon
9) Tesla goal is to replace 1% of the total cars...i.e. 20m replacement rate (please correct me on this as I would assume 20m is a lot).
10) confirmed china battery production plans

People will buy EV’s who otherwise wouldn’t buy a new car.
That was our case exactly. Sold a Newer Beetle convertible. I convinced my wife that I was tired of special tools to drain oil, a hidden battery that took me 3 hrs to change. OMG, at 59, I was done with car maintenance! High stress purchase, best one made though 1.5 yrs later.

I have an X and I get lots of loaner cars when mine is in the shop. I have to say the S is a pretty nice car to drive. I think I'll like a smaller car better, but the S is not bad. I also don't fit in it well. It's way to easy to bump my head getting in or out and shifting in the seat. They seriously sloped the windshield to get that extra 1% on the drag factor. Even my shoulders get in the way getting in.

Agreed. S is just too low for me. Not the right vehicle for anyone with neck or back issues. For me, the X has been perfect.

Also have a Y on order for my wife to replace her Macan...it will be interesting to see if it’s tall enough for me.

Last edited:
No. EV technology will make people want to buy cars quicker. Instead of taking 20 years to replace the global fleet, it will happen in a shorter period of time. So short-term, demand for vehicles will increase. Tesla will be production constrained for many years to come.

I can't see that happening. Yeah, there is enough Tesla frenzy that they are selling everything they can make, but I'm pretty sure the other 99% of car owners see them as transportation and will wait for EVs to get some track record at the standard price range before they jump on the bandwagon. You can buy a 150 hp lower end car for $20,000. When you can get a comparable EV with 200 mile range for that price then we can start to talk about EVs making inroads. Until then EVs will be ramping up, but it will still not be the main driver in the auto market.

Also, in 5 years Tesla will not be the major player in the EV market. They will be swamped with competition and had better figure out how to make them cheap enough to sell for well less than $35,000 and still make profit. That's what everyone else will be doing.