Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The ugly world that is $TSLAQ
Impenitent Atheist on Twitter

These people are so deluded, so out-of-touch with reality, they actually think they are battling evil. It's sad but hilarious at the same time.

The sad thing about this particular story is that the only thing he has left to offer his "fellow" shorts is a beach volleyball lesson! Probably lost the $50,000 inheritance from grandma and grandpa and is *still* living in mom's basement.

I once had a discussion with a friend who used to be a broker as to why short selling was even legal. I didn't really see it, because the only purpose of short selling is betting on price, and its a form of betting which doesn't seem to add anything to the actual market, but may in fact distort it.

He told me (he's not a short himself) that it does help the market, but maybe I am still missing something because its not the gambling part of it which is odd, its that there is no equivalent on the buy side, so its not like short selling balances out anything.

What am I missing? There seem to be many informed folks on this thread.
All of the benefits of allowing shorting are outweighed by the real world of shorts actively working against a company such as repeated and false NTSB reports and simulating larger outcry’s to government agencies like the SEC causing unprecedented negative government actions against a company. And of course false media reports slowing a company’s natural growth.

TLDR: activists shorts damage the economy.

I'm super curious as to see Grand @Papafox's debrief tomorrow, specifically the % of short selling. Someone has spent a lot of money today capping the SP to below $300 despite the massive buying pressure.

Really odd stock movement today and without any doubt manipulation on a high level. The more important questions is if this was wasted money as more people realize numbers are indeed without a doubt positive and we may see more buying pressure tomorrow. Don't exclude them to through all in tomorrow to control the move as since a while I believe this is not just hedge funds and shorts but oil&gas funds.

But the long term is up past $1,000, so you should keep enough to stay in for that. That's why anybody who can, should add.

How much is "enough" for a stock that you expect to triple in value? And just because you *can* add, doesn't mean you should.

Having said that, I've long been a fan of avoiding over-diversification and it has served me very well indeed. Over-diversification and frequent trading are the two surest ways to mediocre returns.

No. Unfortunately, Democrats and Republicans both play useful idiots in the pro-Establishment fight against innovative anything and especially against clean energy. We've seen that over and over.
Politicians just do what they are paid to do. Unfortunately, it's vested interests that pay them, not you and I. Or rather it's vested interests that pay them the most, so what you and I pay them isn't their big motivator. There are ways to fix this, but they would result in less for politicians, so very few will support that kind of agenda.

I'm super curious as to see Grand @Papafox's debrief tomorrow, specifically the % of short selling. Someone has spent a lot of money today capping the SP to below $300 despite the massive buying pressure.
One way to look at it is that today's volume represented 22% of the float. I just kind find any plausibility that a majority of this was long selling -- and that's before counting the after hours volume from yesterday of ~6M.

In all seriousness, how many long shares would really have been profit taking at this point? Am I wrong to think it would be well under 10% of the float?

Put another way, even if every one of last night's sales was short and then covered today that would still leave something like 18% of the float to account for. If 10% of long holdings were sold (that just seems way to high for me, but what do I know) that would still leave an increase in short interest of 8%. That's pretty big.

If, as a short, you had confidence (perhaps due to relationships with WSJ, BI and Bloomberg) that you could knock the stock down ~$30 in the near term then selling short now could be lucrative. In other words, to a short this could seem like a rational time to load up.

If so, and given misplaced confidence (I can dream!) then a large squeeze could still happen if there was sufficient continued buying pressure.

It does seem plausible at least that short interest has returned to previous levels.

In theory, allowing the practice allows for some incentive to expose fraud or bad investments, which would be a helpful market dynamic. In practice, meh. Doesn't really work that way from my point of view.
It used to until the regulations were removed making it free day at the zoo.

What I've really enjoyed about today is that we have had a huge jump, NOT on the basis of a new product announcement, NOT on the basis of any hype or tweet or crazy prediction by Elon, but based purely on solid, hard financial facts.
That feels like a stock price climb that is not easily unwound the next day, week, month or even year.
The remaining shorts are holding on tight to the futuristic door handles lawsuit..they were trying to make it a big deal on twitter through Washington Post.

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
No. Unfortunately, Democrats and Republicans both play useful idiots in the pro-Establishment fight against innovative anything and especially against clean energy. We've seen that over and over.

Every single political move by Democrats in California has actually impeded clean energy and promoted dirty energy. They just know how to lie lie lie. Democrats were front and center in complicitness in killing the electric car in the 1980s, 1990s, and 2000s.

Elon Musk's most brilliant value is calling all their damned bluffs. Quixotically, they have little choice, just running around trying to save what's left of their houses of cards. The best thing is improvement for the future, and Elon could bestow upon them forgiveness for their sins due to the directionality of that improvement of the future.

The way I think you mean "impeachment" (Trump's removal from office and the success of Communism taking over the world), Communists do not care about clean energy. They would slow down innovation. The fastest way to fix problems is through a sensible free market (light regulation in the right places).

(For the ignorant: Impeachment means a great trial where the Senate gets to put a lot of Democrat-supporters in jail, and Trump will be wildly vindicated, and furthermore, his supporters will be very motivated to vote for him. His removal from office would similarly compel our country to be even more strong against Communism. The dirty status quo is being fought most by Trump and the pro-Trumpers, however, many of them remain useful idiots against innovation. Furthermore, everything is very confused by issues of scope: nearby, we need coal, and far out, we will only have solar. 2030 is a fake deadline invented by Communists attempting to steal power and money, not clean energy. The boats shipping Chinese products to USA pollute more than every car and truck in existence. Now recalculate who really cares about conservation of humans and the environment and stopping pollution. Elon Musk cares. Chairman Xi, Putin, and the Iran Mullahs do not.)

Didn't the democratic governmentg gave Tesla a life line during the recession?

and much better CRM systems

When I ordered a couple years ago I noticed they were using Salesforce for their CRM. Many consider Salesforce the market leader...but having worked on Salesforce instances the past 11 years there are many ways to do it wrong. I wouldn't know what the situation is with Tesla's instance but I have overheard employees complaining about it so I'd imagine there's plenty room for improvement.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler